Blind Comparison: Brahms 2

Started by madaboutmahler, December 26, 2013, 08:39:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madaboutmahler

The Blind Comparisons are back!

Will be run in pretty much the same way and we'll hopefully start in the first week of the new year.

Please do just post here to sign up if you would like to take part!

The first will be comparing the exposition of the first movement. If you have any rare recordings you want involved, please do feel free to message me too. And please feel free to use the thread to discuss the work as well, is it his most uplifting symphony, or is Brahms to be believed when he said it was the most melancholic piece he ever wrote?
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

TheGSMoeller

Brian

OOoh! I am very excited for this one.  :)

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

GuybrushThreepwood

I am an absolute newbie to Brahms, nevertheless I would love to participate.

Regards,

Carlos.

Brahmsian

I'd love to participate, Daniel.  It currently is, and has been for the last few years or more, my favourite of Brahms' 4 symphonies.  :)

Brahmsian

Quote from: Brian on December 26, 2013, 11:18:35 AM
OOoh! I am very excited for this one.  :)

Brian, I still remember that podcast concert you provided a link for us to hear, this was probably about 4 or 5 years ago, that featured Brahms' 2nd symphony.  Do you remember?

I believe the concert program was:

Ravel - Daphnis and Chloe suite
Beethoven - one of his overtures (was either Leonore Overture II or III, or it was perhaps the Egmont Overture?)
Brahms 2nd symphony

Does this sound familiar?

Madiel

Yes please. I don't know the piece, but would like to, and not knowing the piece was no barrier one of the other times I participated.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Brahmsian

Quote from: ChamberNut on December 26, 2013, 02:12:08 PM
I'd love to participate, Daniel.  It currently is, and has been for the last few years or more, my favourite of Brahms' 4 symphonies.  :)

Specific reason for me to participate is:  Although I am and have been a HUGE, HUGE fan of Brahms' music for years, I still struggle a little for a greater appreciation of his 4 symphonies.  I'm hoping that something like this might be useful, for me, in gaining a greater love and appreciation for his symphonies.

I'd participate in all 4 if ever that ends up happening.  :)

mc ukrneal

Oh no! I don't have time! I am totally swamped! I can't possibly fit it in! You know I'm there! :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

xochitl

madaboutmahler

Great to have you all in! Am very excited about this comparison!

Quote from: ChamberNut on December 26, 2013, 02:12:08 PM

Same, Ray! The 2nd was the last of the 4 that I got to know but instantly became my favourite! 3 comes close.. but 2 is just so uplifting! (or is it?..  :P ) I seriously am intrigued by Brahms' comment on this piece, I wonder if some of the conductors will bring out alternatives to joy within this piece..
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

AnthonyAthletic

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

Pim

I'm totally new here (just enrolled). Happy to join! Would there be any instructions for a newbie?

Brahmsian

Quote from: Pim on December 28, 2013, 05:15:33 AM
I'm totally new here (just enrolled). Happy to join! Would there be any instructions for a newbie?

Welcome aboard to GMG, Pim!  :)  I hope you enjoy and post about the music you love and listen to!  :)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Pim on December 28, 2013, 05:15:33 AM
Welcome! Usually, people are split into groups and each group ranks their 'contestants' (although you can listen to multiple groups if you want to and have the time). You can use whatever criteria you feel appropriate (unless the original poster gives guidance, which is rare) and write as much or as little as you want. It is usually fairly flexible. 

You can see what people have done in past blind listenings. Examples:
Debussy's La Mer
Mahler Symphony No. 6
+several others
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

liuzerus87

I would love to participate in this.

Pat B

I'm in. The Brahms symphonies haven't clicked with me yet. Maybe this will help.

NorthNYMark

I am interested.  This will be my first blind comparison!  It also happens to be the Brahms symphony with which I'm least familiar--I've mainly been listening to nos. 1 and 4 (and have been trying to familiarize myself with no. 3 in preparation for a Montreal Symphony performance later this spring). 

Que

I'm in. :) I'll send in a list of recordings I have available.

Q