Arthur Rubinstein: The Complete Album Collection Help

Started by mn dave, December 31, 2013, 09:06:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mn dave

Karl Henning

You're that guy I saw on the MBTA wearing a Twins cap, aren't you?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

mn dave

Quote from: karlhenning on December 31, 2013, 09:58:40 AM
You're that guy I saw on the MBTA wearing a Twins cap, aren't you?

That was indeed one of us.

Todd

Quote from: mn dave on December 31, 2013, 09:06:41 AM
Wow!
[asin]B006KAWI2C[/asin]
Help me out with this thing. What are the go-to discs in here? Don't say "all of them".

Brahms.  Then non-Brahms chamber recordings. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

mn dave

George

The early Nocturnes and Mazurkas at the beginning of the set.

And check out the book too, it's nice.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

mn dave

Quote from: George on December 31, 2013, 12:40:18 PM
The early Nocturnes and Mazurkas at the beginning of the set.

And check out the book too, it's nice.

Thanks, amigo!

Brian

Dave, I've also had fun with the Schumann solo albums and anything where Rubinstein plays chamber music with his friends, notably Henryk Szeryng (Beethoven and Brahms sonatas) and the Guarneri Quartet. I will second Todd's recommendation of the Brahms, and George's of the mazurkas. The concertos with Krips (Mozart, mostly) and Leinsdorf (like Tchaikovsky) are fun.

George

I'll second Brian's recommendation of the solo Schumann, especially the early Schumann recordings. (check the very useful discography in the book for info)

kishnevi

Is there a Rubinstein recording I have heard which I don't like?  Yes, but only in the sense that I have a problem with the sonics on almost anything recorded before WWII.

Bearing in mind that I've probably not heard two thirds of his output--
the last recording of the Nocturnes is my personal favorite of any recording I've heard of the Nocturnes (among those I have not heard is his second recording). Also the Waltzes.
the Mozart concertos
the Schumann stuff

Mandryka

I would start with French music, Ravel valses nobles et sentimentales,  and then move to the Franck Prelude, Chorale and Fugue, Poulenc's Trois Mouvements Perpétuels, the Fauré nocturne. All of the solo stuff in the Rubinstein Collection Vol 7 is well worth hearing - but it's imperative to check the Navarra in Vol 42, an encore at Carnegie Hall. Away from France and Spain, there's Grieg's Ballade.

In general, the earlier the performance the better.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

mn dave

Quote from: Mandryka on January 01, 2014, 07:57:41 AM
I would start with French music, Ravel valses nobles et sentimentales,  and then move to the Franck Prelude, Chorale and Fugue, Poulenc's Trois Mouvements Perpétuels, the Fauré nocturne. All of the solo stuff in the Rubinstein Collection Vol 7 is well worth hearing - but it's imperative to check the Navarra in Vol 42, an encore at Carnegie Hall. Away from France and Spain, there's Grieg's Ballade.

In general, the earlier the performance the better.

Thanks.

kishnevi

Dave,  I think the way this thread is tending,  you might as well take the entire set as recommended by someone or other.

When I get to actually listening to the box (there's a few things in the lineup ahead of it) I'll do my usual routine of starting at CD 1 and going all the way through it,  possibly skipping the performances I own as individual releases.  That may be your best bet, too.

springrite

For all I know, Dave may already have purchased it and only use this thread to made me break my will.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Brian

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on January 01, 2014, 07:25:38 PM
Dave,  I think the way this thread is tending,  you might as well take the entire set as recommended by someone or other.

If I may UN-recommend something! Today I listened to his Schubert sonata D960 and thought it was not an especially good or remarkable performance. In fact, it ranks among my least favorites.

Mandryka

Quote from: Brian on January 01, 2014, 07:49:38 PM
If I may UN-recommend something! Today I listened to his Schubert sonata D960 and thought it was not an especially good or remarkable performance. In fact, it ranks among my least favorites.

I seem to remember he didn't start playing D960 till late in his career. I also seem to remember that the slow movement is really milked for beauty. I didn't keep my copy so I can't check.

There's an even less impressive D960 from Horowitz.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

George

Quote from: Brian on January 01, 2014, 07:49:38 PM

There are two Rubinstein D960s, one I liked, one I did not. The 1969 one that was approved by the pianist I did not like, but the 1965 one I did like.

from the 1999 liner notes:

mn dave

Quote from: springrite on January 01, 2014, 07:35:52 PM
For all I know, Dave may already have purchased it and only use this thread to made me break my will.

Yes, I already own it and am using this thread for recommendations on how to approach it. I thank all helpful participants!