At death's door

Started by head-case, April 12, 2007, 07:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

head-case

This forum seems like a graveyard, with only two threads having any posts in the last 12 hours.  I guess this is what happens when you ban all members that have anything controversal to say and then move the site to a new URL.  Ho-hum.

MishaK

Ditto! As childish as some posters may have been in the past, I find banning them even more childish.

Larry Rinkel

Other than M forever, who's been banned? Inevitably a changeover requiring re-registration may take some time to gain momentum. If you feel the forum "seems like a graveyard," I see nothing to prevent either of you from posting something sufficiently lively to resurrect it.

MishaK

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on April 12, 2007, 08:31:29 AM
Other than M forever, who's been banned?

Didn't a few others leave subsequently in protest?

Gurn Blanston

In the entire lifetime of the "old" forum, with many thousands of members over the years, there were a total of 3 bannings. Hardly what one could call an avalanche of "all members that have anything controversial to say..."    ::)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: O Mensch on April 12, 2007, 08:40:52 AM

Their choice entirely.

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

bhodges

Quote from: O Mensch on April 12, 2007, 08:40:52 AM

Yes, that is correct, but as Gurn says, only three were officially banned. 

--Bruce

head-case

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 12, 2007, 08:42:53 AM
In the entire lifetime of the "old" forum, with many thousands of members over the years, there were a total of 3 bannings. Hardly what one could call an avalanche of "all members that have anything controversial to say..."    ::)

8)

Sad that in the lifetime of the old forum only three people with something interesting to say showed up.  But aside from the elimination of the non-boring  posters, the bannings have a chilling effect on those who remain, who know that they must remain innocuous to stay.   The result is the blather that we see here.  I also find it interesting that my dyspeptic post has generated more activity than anything else on the board today.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: bhodges on April 12, 2007, 08:44:14 AM

--Bruce

I still don't understand why M got banned. So some are put-off by his agressive nature. But why should anyone let what M said bother them? Are they that thin-skinned? I mean other than exchanges on this forum we don't know M and M doesn't know us, we are basically strangers to each other. Why should I care what a stranger thinks about me?

What ever happen to the old saying: sticks and stones hurt but words don't.

Lady Chatterley

Quote from: head-case on April 12, 2007, 07:59:47 AM
This forum seems like a graveyard...

I don't agree ,all my favorite posters are here making scintillating conversation.

m_gigena

Quote from: bhodges on April 12, 2007, 08:44:14 AM

--Bruce

Four would be the sum if Saul had stayed a few more weeks.

Maciek

Quote from: head-case on April 12, 2007, 08:53:09 AM
Sad that in the lifetime of the old forum only three people with something interesting to say showed up.

Do I understand correctly, then, that you are including yourself in the boring group? Why bother to post, then?

George

Sad that in the lifetime of the old forum only three people with something interesting to say showed up.  But aside from the elimination of the non-boring  posters, the bannings have a chilling effect on those who remain, who know that they must remain innocuous to stay.   The result is the blather that we see here.  I also find it interesting that my dyspeptic post has generated more activity than anything else on the board today.

Perhaps you find it interesting, but you certainly can't find it surprising, considering that was obviously your intention from the beginning. Isn't that how you guys work, or am I confused? FWIW, it is possible to say something interesting without insulting someone or generating a thread to start trouble. However, this assumes that the poster does not have pissing off other people as his primary goal in life. People do not get banned for saying something interesting (does anyone really believe this?), they get banned for breaking the rules. Rules that they are aware of when they sign on. If you ask me (yes, I realize you didn't, oh well), things here are too lenient. The longer the abusive and disrespectful members are allowed to stay, the more this behavior has a tendency of spreading.     

Larry Rinkel

Of your five posts on this board, two have been immortalized on this thread; the other three here:

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,170.msg3179.html#msg3179

Your scintillating comments are an inspiration to us all.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: head-case on April 12, 2007, 07:59:47 AM
This forum seems like a graveyard, with only two threads having any posts in the last 12 hours.  I guess this is what happens when you ban all members that have anything controversal to say and then move the site to a new URL.  Ho-hum.

I just checked the stats; there have been on average 533 posts per day. Dead? If you want to see dead, visit CMG or the Gramophone forum.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Florestan

I quarrelled bitterly with M Forever on the old forum. Boy, what a heated struggle we had! Sometimes I miss him. :)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

George

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on April 12, 2007, 10:14:49 AM
Of your five posts on this board, two have been immortalized on this thread; the other three here:

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,170.msg3179.html#msg3179

Your scintillating comments are an inspiration to us all.

;D

Thanks for the bright sunshine on this otherwise dreary day.  :)

head-case

Quote from: George on April 12, 2007, 10:01:11 AM
People do not get banned for saying something interesting (does anyone really believe this?), they get banned for breaking the rules. Rules that they are aware of when they sign on. If you ask me (yes, I realize you didn't, oh well), things here are too lenient.

The rule, as near as I can see, is that you can't stay if the administrator doesn't like you.  Fair enough, its his sandbox and we are here at his pleasure, afterall.

George

Quote from: head-case on April 12, 2007, 10:25:35 AM
The rule, as near as I can see, is that you can't stay if the administrator doesn't like you.  Fair enough, its his sandbox and we are here at his pleasure, afterall.

These are the only rules that I know about here:

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,5.0.html

mahlertitan

resurrect the forum then! or are you just as boring as the rest? cut the bullshit and say something interesting!