Hello from Texas and Tallinn

Started by dhibbard, January 25, 2014, 05:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhibbard

A collector of classical music  but esp. interested in Baltic, Soviet era and Finnish/Norwegian/Swedish composers.
Just thought I would say Hi!

mc ukrneal

Welcome! We have a number of members from that part of the world, not to mention lovers of that music. Enjoy yourself.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

edith1

hi :)
Do you have favorite song would you want to show? i am very interesting this region's music.

bhodges

Quote from: dhibbard on January 25, 2014, 05:22:29 PM
A collector of classical music  but esp. interested in Baltic, Soviet era and Finnish/Norwegian/Swedish composers.

Welcome, dhibbard, and hope you enjoy yourself here. I love music from the regions you mention, and there are many other fans here as well.

And a Texas "ex-pat" here - now in New York!

--Bruce

vandermolen

Hi to you! I am an admirer of many Baltic/Scandinavian composers. Tubin, Raid, Madetoja, Sibelius, Ciurlionis, Atterberg, Petterson, Peterrson-Berger, Egge etcetc.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

dhibbard

here recently... its Ellerhein  !!

kyjo

Welcome dhibbard! As I've noticed from your posts over at the Art-Music Forum, we have quite similar tastes. Hope you enjoy your time here!  :)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Hollywood

Howdy, dhibbard. Greetings from a L.A. Lady living in Vienna, Austria. Welcome to the forum.  8)

Whereabouts are you in Texas? I myself have a little bit to do with the Lone Star State. I was living there in 1978 when I was in the Air Force, first in San Antonio for basic training and then up in Wichita Falls at Sheppard AFB for my technical training. Then there is Anson Jones, the 4th President of the Republic of Texas, who is my 6th cousin 4 times removed.
"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

dhibbard

oh  great  you know Texas well.   The Dallas Ft Worth area is my home base.

Karl Henning

Quote from: dhibbard on June 14, 2020, 10:22:28 AM

Welcome to GMG!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

TMHeimer

Welcome from Nova Scotia , Canada. I was in your general area in 1984, taking the train from Helsinki to Moscow.
The Most Advanced Clarinet Book
tomheimer.ampbk.com/
austinmacauley.com/author/heimer-tom
(click on book image, PDF samples)
Boreal Ballad for unaccompanied clarinet solo
(Sheet Music Plus)

Christo

Great to see you here too, after all those really fine posts on the Art-Music Forum! Tallinn has a special place in my heart, bought so many CDs and music there in the early 1990s, especially at the corner of the Pikk Jalg (edit: Nunne 1 it was, I think).  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

The new erato

Quote from: Christo on June 15, 2020, 02:28:52 AM
Great to see you here too, after all those really fine posts on the Art-Music Forum!
Same here!

Spotted Horses

Quote from: dhibbard on June 14, 2020, 10:22:28 AM

I hail from the Houston Area.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mirror Image