The Maki Ishii Roll

Started by snyprrr, February 03, 2014, 08:10:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

Forgive me, this computer just isn't 'linking' for me (in this Linux?). Anyhow, I was trolling around and heard his 'Afro-Concerto' for percussion and orchestra- and my!- some of the the fastest drumming I've ever heard! :o

Ishii has something of the Xenakian in him- organic, powerful- but... well, let's just say that I've always loved what the Asians did with the Darmstadt stuff- infusing all kinds of 'humanity' and even 'odd duck' stuff into the academic-ism of High Modernism.

'Afro-Concerto' is on YT, but the cd is outrageously priced. There is a new Ishii cd with three works. For those who are interested, I think Ishii may be worth your consideration.

cjvinthechair

Yes - just come across the Afro on YT - doesn't start promisingly, but....! Will be happy to know if there's some more of his doing the rounds - cheaply !
Clive.

snyprrr

Quote from: cjvinthechair on February 05, 2014, 10:01:30 AM
Yes - just come across the Afro on YT - doesn't start promisingly, but....! Will be happy to know if there's some more of his doing the rounds - cheaply !

yes, haha, it starts out like mmhmm mm hmm... and then, pow!

I have his 'Concertante' which is for marimba and, I believe, percussion ensemble (also on Denon, with Xenakis 'Pleiades')- I mean, they know their marimba, haha!!

Pessoa

Lovely discovery. I´m really enjoying his music.

San Antone

Cross-posted from
Japanese Composers
thread:

https://www.youtube.com/v/BjIJaHNLcPA

Wonderful writing for the ensemble, and Keiko Abe is a virtuoso on the marimba.

snyprrr

It's a shame that Denon disc isn't more available. :(