British Composers of Cello Concertos

Started by Dundonnell, February 12, 2008, 04:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Oops! Thanks for the erratum, lads. Leave it to me to gaffe the familiy ties : )

Guido

Quote from: sul G (again) on February 14, 2011, 02:32:22 PM
It's not the father we really need to worry about, though, is it. Perfectly respectable composer, he was. It's the brother where the horror lies....

Rather bland though, the father, as far as I can make out. I don't much respect either of his children as artists, though Julian is certainly the better.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Luke

Yes, I have a single solitary disc of the father's music (hoping against hope that everyone who looks at the spines of my CDs realises that they are arranged chronologically and, no, that isn't a disc of Andrew's stuff). The father could obviously compose properly, but it's pretty tepid, I have to say.

J.Z. Herrenberg

This is a very enjoyable CD. I find the York Bowen Rhapsody absolutely beautiful and Brian shows himself from his most genial side. I don't care much for the Alan Bush concerto, though...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

vandermolen

Am great fan of Bridge's 'Oration' (both Lyrita and EMI recordings are excellent).

Just ordered this:

[asin]B005CCJR8C[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dundonnell

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Maestro267

Since this thread was last posted in, the Robert Simpson Cello Concerto has been recorded and released on Lyrita, coupled with concerti by John Joubert and Christopher Wright.

Great read, this. The cello is my favourite string-section instrument. As for my own collection, it is currently quite small (especially compared to the many names mentioned here): Elgar, Walton, Bax, Bliss, Bridge (Oration) and Finzi as of now.

San Antone

Gerald Finzi : British composer

Finzi wrote two masterpieces - his Cello Concerto, completed in 1955 and his choral work Intimations of Immortality -a setting of words by William Wordsworth.  In 1951, however, Finzi learned that he was suffering from Hodgkin's Disease, a form of leukaemia, and was told he had between five and ten years to live. The discovery in no way lessened his activities, particularly those undertaken for other composers.  Finzi finally lost the fight against his illness and he died on September 27, 1956. His Cello Concerto was first broadcast the night before he died.