Blind comparison : Mahler 2nd symphony [2nd round until March 16]

Started by Cosi bel do, February 06, 2014, 12:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aukhawk

Yes, please count me in for this one.  And I'm happy with whatever order of movements you choose.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on February 07, 2014, 03:00:07 AM
So if I just compare set A, then ie Sarge, GS & Mirror Image compare A B C D and we have different views then the person who reviews only 1 set is wiped out straight away.

That would only be true if you were the sole member in your group initially and therefore the lone decision maker. But you already have other folks rating your group. Adding a few more won't negate your vote and it might possibly enhance it (surely some of us are going to give high ratings to the performances you like too).

Why are some persons reviewing 2 or 3 in past comparisons? 

Because the organizers of the comparisons ask us to compare as many groups as possible in order to get the largest sampling (at least Mad requests that).

Sarge

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

AnthonyAthletic

Also depends on how the originator organizes the groups.

Imagine a group on a given piece of music which they all have recorded

A - Klemperer, Walter, Bernstein, Abbado & Sinopoli
B - Lizzio, Nanut, Daniel, Alsop & Klee

"oh, no....my favourites have just been eliminated"  ???

"Who put Anton Nanut through, and Walter got dumped" ? ? ?  :laugh:

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

Pat B

Is it true to say that if each individual doesn't compare each of the sets A B C D (x8 clips in each set), then the comparison can not be true to itself?

I think it's more important to get a large number of voters per group than to equalize the number of groups per voter.

I also think we're both over-thinking it. ;)

Papy Oli

you can count me in too, Cosi/Discobole.
Olivier

NorthNYMark

Cosi bel do

24 participants for now, still counting... That's great, really, thanks for the enthusiasm :)

mc ukrneal

I'm in, at least for the first round. It's not a symphony I listen to that often, nor do I feel a need for a new recording (with Abbado and Bertini on hand), but I can't resist a blind listening. :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Cosi bel do

Great mc ukrneal, I'm really happy that you'll participate, your contribution is always very appreciated :)

Pim

I'd be happy to join in as well. It's been awhile since I heard it (Haenchen, live in the concertgebouw in Amsterdam).

nachtalberich

I'd like to join as well.  This will be my first blind comparison....sounds fun.   :D

Thanks!

Jay F

Cosi bel do

Thanks to the lastest who joined the comparison.

Jay, it should take around 10 days for me to finish preparing everything.

Jay F

Quote from: Cosi bel do on February 09, 2014, 10:53:59 AM
Thanks to the lastest who joined the comparison.

Jay, it should take around 10 days for me to finish preparing everything.
Thanks, CBD.

Drosera

Cosi bel do

No no, not at all, it has not begun, and anybody can join at anytime anyway :)

Drosera

Quote from: Cosi bel do on February 10, 2014, 12:39:33 AM
No no, not at all, it has not begun, and anybody can join at anytime anyway :)

Great, and thank you for the effort in doing this!

madaboutmahler

Definitely count me in, and welcome back! Would it be OK to let me get closer to finishing my Brahms 2 comparison before we start this though?
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Wanderer

Count me in, as well! This is a most beloved work and a great Mahlerian favourite. I'll be curious to see which versions that will turn up I don't already own.

Starting with Urlicht sounds good. However, if it's not too much trouble, Cosi, I do hope that the format of the samples will be separate mp3 files (much easier to manipulate and listen to comparatively) instead of one cumbersome single file of all the samples clumped together.

Cosi bel do

Quote from: madaboutmahler on February 10, 2014, 02:04:29 AM
Definitely count me in, and welcome back! Would it be OK to let me get closer to finishing my Brahms 2 comparison before we start this though?

Great news, thanks !
As I said, I will not start before 10 days. Maybe even 2 weeks. I still have to listen to a couple dozens versions. Will it be ok ? (If I remember well, we already did 2 comparisons at the same time without much trouble anyway ?)

Quote from: Wanderer on February 10, 2014, 06:05:39 AM
Count me in, as well! This is a most beloved work and a great Mahlerian favourite. I'll be curious to see which versions that will turn up I don't already own.

Starting with Urlicht sounds good. However, if it's not too much trouble, Cosi, I do hope that the format of the samples will be separate mp3 files (much easier to manipulate and listen to comparatively) instead of one cumbersome single file of all the samples clumped together.

Great :)
Of course the samples will be separate files, this is how I proceed (except I prefer lossless (flac) format)

And there are now 33 participants  ??? ;D