Greetings from the future(ism)

Started by marinetti, February 06, 2014, 03:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marinetti

Just introducing myself to this fine group. I'm a huge fan of classical music. My interest go in the direction of English - somewhat unknown - composers. Think Moeran, Lloyd, Dyson, Berkeley (whom I didn't like at first, but now find utterly charming), F. Bridge, Rawsthorne, Rubbra. Also Swedish and Finnish composers, they should be below the radar as well. I do like Beethoven and other famous guys too. But I feel that if you say that Beethoven is your favourite composer, it says as much about you as liking Coca-Cola does.

Here's a link to an i/w with Sir Lennox Berkeley. He displays a soothing Oxbridge, Brideshead Revisited kind of charm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/desert-island-discs/castaway/396b4ca5#p009myrk

yours etc marinetti
"In literature as in love, we are astonished at what is chosen by others."
- André Maurois

bhodges

Hello, marinetti, and welcome from New York City. Speaking of Finnish composers, I just returned from a concert hearing some Saariaho, a recent work for violin and electronics called "Frises." Enjoy yourself here!

--Bruce

North Star

Welcome to the forum!
Aho, Lindberg, some Saariaho, Atterberg, Ireland and Finzi are fine by me, in addition to the Coca-Colas of British/Nordic composers..
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

marinetti

I love Atterberg - and one disc by Finzi I found enchanting (have forgotten which one atm)
- André Maurois

J.Z. Herrenberg

Welcome, marinetti! I am glad you have become a member here. I hope GMG will be an inspiration to you, and vice versa. (I happen to know this guy, btw...)
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

marinetti

Thank you JZ, yes I got my avatar and my quote up and running   8)
- André Maurois

marinetti

Quote from: Brewski on February 06, 2014, 06:54:50 PM
Hello, marinetti, and welcome from New York City. Speaking of Finnish composers, I just returned from a concert hearing some Saariaho, a recent work for violin and electronics called "Frises." Enjoy yourself here!

--Bruce

Thank you very much. Saariaho is completely new to me. I'll see what Spotify has
- André Maurois