The Music Room > Composer Discussion

The Borodin Boardroom

(1/13) > >>

BachQ:
Decided not to call this Borodin's Bordello . . . . . .

BachQ:
Borodin’s Boardroom

The Russian/Georgian composer Alexander Porfiryevich Borodin (1833-1887) was a professional chemist (noted for his work on aldehydes) and a member of the group of composers called The Five (the mighty handful).

Borodin met Mily Balakirev in 1862 at which time he began his First Symphony (performed in 1869 under Balakirev) and Second Symphony in B Minor (which premiered in 1877 under Eduard Nápravník).  In 1869, Borodin focused on his opera Prince Igor, which, although remaining unfinished by Borodin (completed posthumously by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov and Alexander Glazunov), is regarded by many to be his most significant composition and one of the most important historical Russian operas. It contains the much beloved Polovetsian Dances, which are frequently performed as stand-alone concert pieces.  According to Wiki: “Other well-known compositions by Borodin include the popular symphonic poem In the Steppes of Central Asia and the second of two string quartets (in D Major), in which the composer's strong lyricism is represented in the popular "Nocturne" movement.  In 1882, Borodin began composing a third symphony, but left it unfinished at his death; two movements of it were later completed and orchestrated by Glazunov. Among Borodin's other works there are several art songs, piano pieces (notably the Petite Suite), and other chamber music (notably a cello sonata based on a theme from Bach's Sonata No.1 in G minor, BWV 1001).”

Classical.net recommedations include:

Brewski:

--- Quote from: D Minor on April 12, 2007, 07:33:18 AM ---Decided not to call this Borodin's Bordello . . . . . .

--- End quote ---

I'm sure I speak for more than myself, in thanking you most heartily.   ;D

But back to Borodin.  A few years ago I finally heard his Symphony No. 2, by Gergiev and the Kirov, and thought to myself, "Here is yet again, another really fine piece -- that never sees the light of day in the concert hall."  I feel a rant coming on, so I'll stop, but I thought it was an excellent piece that many listeners would enjoy.  A shame you never see it.

PS, coming up at Carnegie Hall on December 4, and you can bet I'll be there:

Kirov Orchestra
Valery Gergiev, Music Director and Conductor
Kirov Opera Chorus
Soloists from the Mariinsky Theater

Stravinsky: Les Noces
Borodin: Act II of Prince Igor

--Bruce

MishaK:
I am very fond of this Borodin performance:

Also repackaged thus:

The "Steppes of Central Asia" are particularly lovely.

PerfectWagnerite:

--- Quote from: O Mensch on April 12, 2007, 07:45:21 AM ---
The "Steppes of Central Asia" are particularly lovely.

--- End quote ---

Agree. What an evocative tone poem that is, shows no influence from anybody.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version