The Borodin Boardroom

Started by BachQ, April 12, 2007, 08:33:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Scion7 on October 29, 2021, 09:04:17 AM
    0:)

This set has never appeared complete on CD.  The Symphonies/Polovstian Dances/Petite Suite/Steppes have but not the Mlada rarity......

SonicMan46

My updated 'small' Borodin collection w/ duplication in the String Quartets, probably my favorite along w/ the Polovtsian Dances - could add some more of his chamber works but looking on Amazon not seeing a nice single-disc non-SQ recording - comments or recommendations.  Dave :)

Brian

Hello, Dave! I believe I have a non-SQ chamber work on a Prazak Quartet CD from the Praga label. It might be a quintet or sextet or something like that. As you can tell from this post so far, my memory of it is not strong enough to indicate that this is a mandatory purchase  ;D (Okay, I looked it up. It's Quartet 2 + Cello Sonata + Piano Quintet. The Cello Sonata performance is also available separately, coupled to Prokofiev's cello sonata and Stravinsky's Suite Italienne from the same Czech performers.)

Is your Polovtsian Dances the choral, or no-singing version? I don't think I could do without the version with added chorus. My reference is Tjeknoravian on RCA, which replicates Schmidt's program exactly but with two additional Prince Igor excerpts. To avoid such duplication, there's also a Naxos/Kuchar disc with an hour of Prince Igor highlights and arias, including one called "I don't like boredom." Of course, it may not be worth adding to your collection for a variant version of an 11-minute work you already have, unless you love it dearly or want the rest of the opera arias.

Other classic Polovtsian Dances with chorus which you might have elsewhere, like in a big box set, include Dorati/Mercury, Ashkenazy, and Solti.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Brian on March 10, 2022, 08:36:02 AM
Hello, Dave! I believe I have a non-SQ chamber work on a Prazak Quartet CD from the Praga label. It might be a quintet or sextet or something like that. As you can tell from this post so far, my memory of it is not strong enough to indicate that this is a mandatory purchase  ;D (Okay, I looked it up. It's Quartet 2 + Cello Sonata + Piano Quintet. The Cello Sonata performance is also available separately, coupled to Prokofiev's cello sonata and Stravinsky's Suite Italienne from the same Czech performers.)

Is your Polovtsian Dances the choral, or no-singing version? I don't think I could do without the version with added chorus. My reference is Tjeknoravian on RCA, which replicates Schmidt's program exactly but with two additional Prince Igor excerpts. To avoid such duplication, there's also a Naxos/Kuchar disc with an hour of Prince Igor highlights and arias, including one called "I don't like boredom." Of course, it may not be worth adding to your collection for a variant version of an 11-minute work you already have, unless you love it dearly or want the rest of the opera arias.

Other classic Polovtsian Dances with chorus which you might have elsewhere, like in a big box set, include Dorati/Mercury, Ashkenazy, and Solti.

Hi Brian - thanks for your prompt response - the Ole Schmidt recording of the Dances is orchestral - I saw your comment on a previous page of this thread about the choral version - the Tjeknavorian recording is available on Spotify, so I'll take a listen (also a cheap 'used' offering on the Amazon MP if I want the recording).  As to the non-SQ chamber works not much seems available w/o mixing in other composers - there is a Goldner SQ recording (below) but don't need a third version of the 2nd SQ unless I cull out the older Borodin - it's available at BRO for $9 USD.  Dave :)

P.S. just found another Borodin CD, i.e. below right w/ Ashkenazy doing the dances w/ a chorus - will take a re-listen.

Brian

My memory of the chamber music works that you don't own are that they are quite early pieces, not in his mature Russian style but more of a Mendelssohnian style (like Symphony No. 1), and therefore not essential to own.

Jo498

I'd say only the two string quartets are "essential" and I would not get rid of the recording of the eponymous quartet. Naxos or Marco Polo had a disc with the cello sonata, quintet? and another one.

You might want to try another recording of the symphonies although I don't know any of the ones you listed. Cheapish twofers are with Rozhdestvensky (Brilliant?) and Davis (Sony) but the 2nd symphony is the most recorded one with some more prominent conductors (Mitropoulos, Kleiber, Ansermet...)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

SonicMan46

Quote from: Jo498 on March 10, 2022, 10:28:01 AM
I'd say only the two string quartets are "essential" and I would not get rid of the recording of the eponymous quartet. Naxos or Marco Polo had a disc with the cello sonata, quintet? and another one.

You might want to try another recording of the symphonies although I don't know any of the ones you listed. Cheapish twofers are with Rozhdestvensky (Brilliant?) and Davis (Sony) but the 2nd symphony is the most recorded one with some more prominent conductors (Mitropoulos, Kleiber, Ansermet...)

Hi Brian & Jo498 - believe that I'll forgo getting more chamber works, the SQs are enough for me too - and I've had the Borodin SQ recording for decades so not about to remove from my collection -  8) 

As to Schwarz and the Symphonies, the attached reviews indicate a top-notch recording and includes Brian's excellent MusicWeb review and recommendation as 'Bargain of the Month' - not sure if he feels the same but certainly encouraged me back then to purchase the CD - Dave :)

kyjo

Quote from: Brian on March 10, 2022, 10:17:01 AM
My memory of the chamber music works that you don't own are that they are quite early pieces, not in his mature Russian style but more of a Mendelssohnian style (like Symphony No. 1), and therefore not essential to own.

IMO, it would be wrong to dismiss the 1st Symphony as an immature, Mendelssohnian work. ;) It has plenty of Russian heft and muscle, and some quasi-"exotic" lyricism in the gorgeous slow movement. Tjeknavorian's recording on RCA is stunning!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Roasted Swan

Quote from: kyjo on March 10, 2022, 12:38:44 PM
IMO, it would be wrong to dismiss the 1st Symphony as an immature, Mendelssohnian work. ;) It has plenty of Russian heft and muscle, and some quasi-"exotic" lyricism in the gorgeous slow movement. Tjeknavorian's recording on RCA is stunning!

+1 for Symphony 1 - no idea how it can be considered immature or Mendelssohnian!

Symphonic Addict

Hey Maestro267, don't behave as a child and unlock the Salgado thread. Do you feel affected by what he tells you about the music?  ::)
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on March 11, 2022, 03:00:30 PM
Hey Maestro267, don't behave as a child and unlock the Salgado thread. Do you feel affected by what he tells you about the music?  ::)

Indeed. I don't understand his reasoning for locking the thread.

Franco_Manitobain

Anyone have any thoughts on this chamber music set?

Franco_Manitobain

Quote from: Franco_Manitobain on April 27, 2023, 06:18:57 AMAnyone have any thoughts on this chamber music set?

Just listening to the Piano Quintet for the very first time (Alexander Mndoiantz on the piano) and am absolutely stunned as to how beautiful of a work this is.  :o

vers la flamme

I have not heard a note of Borodin, after all these years. Where should I start?

Franco_Manitobain

Quote from: vers la flamme on May 19, 2023, 09:12:06 AMI have not heard a note of Borodin, after all these years. Where should I start?

Nothing to feel bad about.... I myself haven't heard much yet. I'm not familiar with the symphonies yet.

I'm only familiar with the string quartets and the Polovtsian Dances.

Mapman

Quote from: vers la flamme on May 19, 2023, 09:12:06 AMI have not heard a note of Borodin, after all these years. Where should I start?

My introduction to Borodin was playing his 2nd Symphony in high school. I might be a bit biased, but that is probably a good place to start. The slow movement is one of my favorites. Tjeknavorian's recording is excellent.

Polovtsian Dances is also a lot of fun (and I played it twice, both with and without chorus).

I'm also curious about what other people recommend!

Florestan

You should start off the beaten track, namely here:

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

DavidW

The symphonies.

Daverz

Symphony No. 2.  Great work.