Idiosyncratic Performers

Started by Philo, March 10, 2014, 07:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philo

I'm looking for some recommendations for performers who take personal liberties with the material. Some examples might include:

Kuerti playing Beethoven
Afanassiev playing Schubert
Gould playing the piano

Ken B

Quote from: Philo on March 10, 2014, 07:39:56 PM
I'm looking for some recommendations for performers who take personal liberties with the material. Some examples might include:

Kuerti playing Beethoven
Afanassiev playing Schubert
Gould playing the piano
Two canadians already.
Anthony Newman on organ

Dancing Divertimentian

Pogorelich's solo stuff. Although his way is very personal.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Drosera

Todd

Russell Sherman, Eric Heidsieck, Anatol Ugorski, Jean Marc Luisada, Francois-Rene Duchable, and Ervin Nyiregyhazi all immediately come to mind among pianists.  Sherman and Heidsieck are among my favorite pianists, and both recorded superb LvB sonata cycles, and Sherman also recorded an outstanding LvB concerto cycle. 
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Mandryka

In early music it's quite hard for me to say what's idiosyncratic and what's not, just because I have no idea what's known about correct performance. One question I have for the renaissance music mavens here - is Marc Mauillon's treatment of Machault's Loyeuté que point ne delay idiosyncratic on not? You remember. It lasts for over half and hour.

Someone mentioned Pogorelich. From the commercial recordings, the most idiosyncratic is Valses Nobles et Sentimentales.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

North Star

Quote from: Mandryka on March 11, 2014, 08:46:08 AM
In early music it's quite hard for me to say what's idiosyncratic and what's not, just because I have no idea what's known about correct performance.
Pluhar is certainly idiosyncratic.
E: And Ensemble Organums's Machaut Messe de Notre Dame
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Cato

First thing I thought of:

Actress Barbara Sukowa as the Speaker in Arnold Schoenberg's Gurrelieder as played by the Vienna Philharmonic and Abbado on DGG.

"Idiosyncratic" times 10!   8)

Whether she has repeated this performance on the newer Signum CD with Salonen, I have no idea.  One Amazon reviewer calls her performance "exotic."

[asin]B002LTJ2XY[/asin]

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Philo

Thanks so much for the recommendations so far. Truly lovely.  :-*

Feltsman playing Bach
Celibidahce conducting
Enescu playing Bach

prémont

Quote from: Philo on March 13, 2014, 04:38:33 PM
Feltsman playing Bach

I own his Art of Fugue and do not find it that idiosyncratic.

On the other hand a relistening to the first vol. of Kei Koito´s upcoming Bach organ integral, reveals her to be as least as idiosyncratic as Guillou.

What is the difference between "idiosyncratic" , "mannered" and "contrived" ?  Not the semantic difference, of course, but the difference in daily practice.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on March 11, 2014, 08:46:08 AM
In early music it's quite hard for me to say what's idiosyncratic and what's not, just because I have no idea what's known about correct performance. One question I have for the renaissance music mavens here - is Marc Mauillon's treatment of Machault's Loyeuté que point ne delay idiosyncratic on not? You remember. It lasts for over half and hour.

Difficult to answer. I have not studied performance practice concerning Machault. Listening to different respectable performers interpretation of Machault makes me think, that very little is known.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Rinaldo

Quote from: (: premont :) on March 20, 2014, 02:00:44 AMWhat is the difference between "idiosyncratic" , "mannered" and "contrived" ?

The result.

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on March 20, 2014, 02:00:44 AM

On the other hand a relistening to the first vol. of Kei Koito´s upcoming Bach organ integral, reveals her to be as least as idiosyncratic as Guillou.

I enjoyed her Art of Fugue. The rest not at all.

Quote from: (: premont :) on March 20, 2014, 02:00:44 AM
What is the difference between "idiosyncratic" , "mannered" and "contrived" ?  Not the semantic difference, of course, but the difference in daily practice.

There's increasing pejoritiveness of course, and where you have value judgements you need to have a form of life to give them meaning. I suppose the most dominant form of life which underpins these valuations is in the conservetoirs, with all the weight of performance history.

I wonder if it goes like this: at the time of composition there were certain ways of interpreting the music. As time goes by new ways become acceptable, as a result of influential and imaginative performers (how they became influential is an interesting question.) It's like we have a chain of family resemblances, starting with performances contemporaneous with the composition.

The shifts are rarely revolutionary, in the sense of creating new pardigms for making sense of the music, but they can be. Leonhardt was probably the cause of a revolution.

I shoud warn you: I've never studied aesthetics.   :-[  These concepts - about values and forms of life -  are all from later Wittgenstein.

North Star

Quote from: Mandryka on March 22, 2014, 10:41:38 AMI wonder if it goes like this: at the time of composition there were certain ways of interpreting the music. As time goes by new ways become acceptable, as a result of influential and imaginative performers (how they became influential is an interesting question.) It's like we have a chain of family resemblances, starting with performances contemporaneous with the composition.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if it worked the other way round too - acceptable interpretations becoming more limited later.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mandryka

Quote from: North Star on March 22, 2014, 04:20:06 PM
I wouldn't be at all surprised if it worked the other way round too - acceptable interpretations becoming more limited later.

That's true. Maybe I shouldn't have written "new ways become acceptable" --  I should have written "different ways are supported by the establishment."

A comment that I heard Bob van Asperen make on Friday -- that Leonhardt was searching for the truth -- is interesting and bears on these difficult questions. As does this recent interview with Davitt Moroney, where he says some very well thought through things in my opinion

http://www.citedelamusiquelive.tv/interview/1015654/davitt-moroney-entretien.html