Blind Comparison LIGHTNING ROUND: Beethoven's 'Waldstein'!

Started by Brian, February 18, 2014, 03:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wanderer

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on February 20, 2014, 06:18:19 PM
WARNING:  Gould vocalizes a good deal in these recordings,  at some points overwhelming the piano!  This especially applies to the earlier sonatas.  Turned me off enough that I've never gotten around to getting the Gould sonatas not in that set.

You know, there is a solution to this problem. Enter: The Glenn Gould De-Vocalizer 2000!

Ken B

Drosera

Quote from: Cosi bel do on February 20, 2014, 01:48:12 PM
What ??? Is that possible :o ??? I mean, not liking it, okay, but how can you say nothing is happening here ? Here this is not a sonata anymore, this is a symphony for piano solo ! 8)

Well, okay, 'nothing happening' maybe exaggerated. But I've listened to it a few more times and it still doesn't work for me. It attempts at gravitas but ends up sounding mostly stodgy. Interestingly, there is real greatness here, it just that it only comes off intermittently. I prefer my piano sonatas as piano sonatas, rather than symphonies.  :)

There's a good chance that it would convince me more if I heard the performance as a whole. But in this fragment? No.

The playing really makes me think of Richter, but I don't think he ever recorded it in the studio.

Cosi bel do

Quote from: Drosera on February 20, 2014, 10:56:22 PM
Well, okay, 'nothing happening' maybe exaggerated. But I've listened to it a few more times and it still doesn't work for me. It attempts at gravitas but ends up sounding mostly stodgy. Interestingly, there is real greatness here, it just that it only comes off intermittently. I prefer my piano sonatas as piano sonatas, rather than symphonies.  :)

There's a good chance that it would convince me more if I heard the performance as a whole. But in this fragment? No.

The playing really makes me think of Richter, but I don't think he ever recorded it in the studio.
Thanks for explaining your vote. I understand I one could not be overwhelmed by this version as it has already been explained to me a few times. Still this is a musical tour de force. My favourite Waldstein for a very long time.

NJ Joe

Do most people listen more than once? My interpretation of the thread premise was that you rank and post thoughts after one listen.
"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

mc ukrneal

Quote from: NJ Joe on February 21, 2014, 03:08:55 AM
Do most people listen more than once? My interpretation of the thread premise was that you rank and post thoughts after one listen.
There is no hard and fast rule. I prefer to listen once with some additional comparative listening as needed (which may involve re-listening to some in their entirety or very little extra listening). Others listen several times. I often will start the first one after the last one just to make sure I was not being influenced by it being first.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Ken B

That's what I did. That way, when we learn who did which and all my comments look ridiculous I have an excuse.

Cosi bel do

I listened once too. I sent my comments by private message to Brian, because I recognized 2 of the pianists (version 6 immediately, version 3 I didn't see anyone else possible). And I didn't want to spoil everyone's fun.

NJ Joe

Quote from: Ken B on February 21, 2014, 05:24:44 AM
That's what I did. That way, when we learn who did which and all my comments look ridiculous I have an excuse.

LOL, me too!
"Music can inspire love, religious ecstasy, cathartic release, social bonding, and a glimpse of another dimension. A sense that there is another time, another space and another, better universe."
-David Byrne

NJ Joe

Quote from: Cosi bel do on February 21, 2014, 05:52:25 AM
I listened once too. I sent my comments by private message to Brian, because I recognized 2 of the pianists (version 6 immediately, version 3 I didn't see anyone else possible). And I didn't want to spoil everyone's fun.

Yes, I took the term "lightening round" to mean one listen.  But whatever...I'll give them another go or two.

I just capped off a crappy work week with my son wrecking his car.  Fortunately no one hurt.  Unfortunately, my wallet will surely suffer.  It never ends... :(
-David Byrne

amw

I listened twice, first in order, then in tentative order of preference. Still kind of new to these things so I don't have a favourite way to do it yet.

Todd

Quote from: Brian on February 20, 2014, 08:22:08 PM2. Pianist #1, who has been compared to Glenn Gould three times so far, is not Glenn Gould; (s)he recorded this sonata in 2013.

Biss, El Bacha, Brawn, or Bavouzet?  (A lot of Bs in there.)
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

0spinboson

pre-script: thanks for setting this up, I've found it very educational.
caveat: i don't have the sheet music, so i don't know what LvB's 'intentions' were.

1: I like the way the loud sections are played, overall theme is played slowly enough during these sections to not miss anything but right hand keeps busy to not create lulls in the playing (cf. #2). Pedaling choices agree with me, dynamics vary nicely. Tempo choices also seem appropriate to me
2: playing at start of excerpt feels a bit rushed; because the left hand is playing so much more loudly than the right during loud passages momentum is lost a few times.
3: loud passages are far too loud, though I like the fluent way in which the loud sections are played; transitions feel awkward. Soft passages louder than i like; seems a bit rushed overall, pianist doesn't seem to understand that pauses can also help to create contrast between passages (cf. #6, #4)
4: flows nicely and i like the tempo choices except at the start of the excerpt, where the playing feels a bit too fast; dynamic changes feel natural and dynamics vary nicely. pedaling choices agree with me.
5: loud passages a bit too loud, softer passages nicely lyrical if a tad loud. Dynamics overall feel less rich than in e.g. #6, and changes are sometimes a bit forced (esp. at 2:50).
6: Start of the excerpt is a played somewhat too slowly for my taste, otherwise nicely flowing. Well-timed pauses, much more dynamical variation than in #5.

order of preference: 6, 1, 4, 5, 3, 2.

Holden

HELP I can't get these to play and as Op 53 is one of my favourite LvB sonatas I would like to take part in this survey.
Cheers

Holden

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Holden on February 22, 2014, 12:51:28 PM
HELP I can't get these to play and as Op 53 is one of my favourite LvB sonatas I would like to take part in this survey.
There are two ways - First is to press play on the player. I can't always see it. Try replying to a post (without actually posting it) and then checking it again. Sometimes that works for me. If not, just right click on the link next to the player and save to your computer to listen that way. The second should work even if the first does not.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Brian

You should also be able to left click the link next to the player, and the clip will play in your browser.

Every clip seemed to have a long (5 secondsish) load time, so you may need to wait a moment before it starts playing.

Pim

I like it.

sounds very familiar, which in my case means it must be either Brendel or Kempff. It's not the Brendel early 70s version I grew up with, but it sounds 'kinda Brendel' to me (why do I pretend to be capable of hearing such things?). So let me guess it's another Brendel installment?

I like it, right kind of drive

don't know, doesn't evoke anything special

too unevenly played to my taste

firm, but not overly exciting

3 = 2 > 1 > 6 > 4 > 5

Am I the only one who has this sinking feeling of inadequacy when I try to give my 'opinions' on the fragments? All such great pianists and here comes a mr P who never even quite managed to play Mozart's Fantasia in D minor half decently, and starts saying what 'he thinks'.   :( I'm telling myself I'm doing this to educate myself. I do thank you though for the opportunities here!

amw

Quote from: Pim on February 22, 2014, 11:47:16 PM
sounds very familiar, which in my case means it must be either Brendel or Kempff. It's not the Brendel early 70s version I grew up with, but it sounds 'kinda Brendel' to me (why do I pretend to be capable of hearing such things?). So let me guess it's another Brendel installment?

I hope it is Brendel, I've always liked his technique so I will feel marginally less stupid for praising pianist #2's chops if it turns out to be him. (Doubt it, but it does sound rather Brendelian to my ears as well.)

NJ Joe

3 = 2 > 1 > 6 > 4 > 5

Am I the only one who has this sinking feeling of inadequacy when I try to give my 'opinions' on the fragments? All such great pianists and here comes a mr P who never even quite managed to play Mozart's Fantasia in D minor half decently, and starts saying what 'he thinks'.   :( I'm telling myself I'm doing this to educate myself. I do thank you though for the opportunities here!

Sinking feeling of inadequacy?  I chose 5 as my favorite, and it's near or at the bottom of everyone else's list! The thing is, I listened to them all again and I still place 5 near or at the top! I'm an amateur and certain I have the least experience of anyone around here, but can't help but like what I hear.  Like you, I feel fortunate to be able to have the opportunity to participate in an exercise like this.  My advice:  don't worry about it.
-David Byrne

Ken B

I like it.

I like it, right kind of drive

don't know, doesn't evoke anything special

too unevenly played to my taste

firm, but not overly exciting

3 = 2 > 1 > 6 > 4 > 5

I did not like 2, but like both Kempff and Brendel, so I also hope it,s not Brendel! Or Kempff! Especially Kempff!
But there is no right way to play any great piece of music.  And people who know the music well over a long time may develop a bias for the odd or eccentric as it sounds fresher.