Nyman Says... 'Repeat'!

Started by snyprrr, February 20, 2014, 06:54:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on February 28, 2014, 08:13:38 AM
I can't say I am a big fan, however, I thought Nyman's score for Gattaca to be spot-on and I listen to the soundtrack with pleasure.  Wish this film had done better at the box office - I thought it one of the best sci-fi films I'd seen in a long time.  Plus, Gore Vidal was in it - what could be wrong with that?  What else of Nyman's should I listen to?
The Essential Michael Nyman Band and the Wonderland soundtrack which is more Gattaca like. Both can be sampled on youtube.

EigenUser

Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

TheGSMoeller

Ken B

Quote from: EigenUser on March 25, 2014, 05:29:04 PM
Ken, your pal is composer of the week on BBC Radio 3!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01kt5nk/episodes/guide
Way cool. Thanks Nate for the heads up.

Once upon a time Gramophone slammed Nyman all the time, when they deigned to notice him, which wasn't often. One review called him "not even a composer". I'd like him just for that!

TheGSMoeller

I've considered M.G.V., Musique à Grand Vitesse a favorite piece of mine, from any composer, since the first time I heard it back in the mid 90s. The final region, The 5th Region, is some of the most mystical and awe-inspiring music I've ever heard, it conjures up such grand visions in my mind. Of course the preceding 25 minutes is essential for gathering steam into the 5th Region, but I would still like to post it. This is still the only recording made of M.G.V., as far as I know, which was originally released on Argo but later reissued on MN Records...

http://www.youtube.com/v/IOrD-OPgCMA

Ken B

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 25, 2014, 06:45:14 PM
I've considered M.G.V., Musique à Grand Vitesse a favorite piece of mine, from any composer, since the first time I heard it back in the mid 90s. The final region, The 5th Region, is some of the most mystical and awe-inspiring music I've ever heard, it conjures up such grand visions in my mind. Of course the preceding 25 minutes is essential for gathering steam into the 5th Region, but I would still like to post it. This is still the only recording made of M.G.V., as far as I know, which was originally released on Argo but later reissued on MN Records...

http://www.youtube.com/v/IOrD-OPgCMA
Indeed. Superb, one recording.
Odds the Seattle label will be that adventurous?

Listening to the first interview. Playing 3rd quartet now as part of it. Seems ideal for EigenUser.

EigenUser

Quote from: Ken B on March 25, 2014, 06:59:10 PM
Indeed. Superb, one recording.
Odds the Seattle label will be that adventurous?

Listening to the first interview. Playing 3rd quartet now as part of it. Seems ideal for EigenUser.
:)
How so?
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Ken B

Quote from: EigenUser on March 25, 2014, 07:13:14 PM
:)
How so?
Crazy beautiful, unusual sonorities, intense. A Bartokian bit of minimalism if ever there were one.

And begging to be transcribed for mandolin and tuba  ;) :laugh:

Octave

Quote from: Ken B on March 27, 2014, 10:34:45 PM
We live in the golden age of the accordion. For Monkey Greg and EigenUser, a rough recording but hot damn what music

Youtube.com/watch?v=A25PCwPkZac

Studio recording of the same piece with just 3 accordions and piano

youtube.com/watch?v=Ri_bNZyMd30

And ...

This is mislabelled. It is Cornfield from Prospero's Book. From nothing Nyman conjures a rapturous wail of grief
youtube.com/watch?v=p-bb_vtOExA

Re: the last link: do you know if it's the original recording used in the film (and/or released on the OST album), or is this a newer rearrangement?
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Ken B

Quote from: Octave on March 27, 2014, 10:57:18 PM
Re: the last link: do you know if it's the original recording used in the film (and/or released on the OST album), or is this a newer rearrangement?
I think its the original.

Octave

Quote from: Ken B on March 27, 2014, 10:34:45 PM
This is mislabelled. It is Cornfield from Prospero's Book. From nothing Nyman conjures a rapturous wail of grief
youtube.com/watch?v=p-bb_vtOExA

It looks like "Cornfield" might have been reproduced exactly on the MAN ON WIRE soundtrack, as that latter was a selection of Nyman pieces from elsewhere; I am not sure why it was retitled "Passage de L'Egalité".  I notice that the timing of the "two" pieces seems to be identical.
I'm having computer trouble and can't properly compare them.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

TheGSMoeller

Noises, Sounds & Sweet Airs

A piece that requires a little bit of stamina, but the reward is well worth it. I now think it's Nyman's best opera, again using The Tempest for its source, it's filled with intricate vocal writing and familiar instrumental shifts between pulsing rhythms that easily turn tranquil and lyrical in between two measures. A good example of the orchestral shifting can be heard in The Fringed Curtains Of Thine Eye (15:49), and how the soloists (soprano, contralto and tenor) compliment each other in the track Sometime Like Apes (29:45).

http://www.youtube.com/v/4a4dJbKQfAs

More info can be found on Nyman's website...

Ken B

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 28, 2014, 06:31:55 PM

A piece that requires a little bit of stamina, but the reward is well worth it. I now think it's Nyman's best opera, again using The Tempest for its source, it's filled with intricate vocal writing and familiar instrumental shifts between pulsing rhythms that easily turn tranquil and lyrical in between two measures. A good example of the orchestral shifting can be heard in The Fringed Curtains Of Thine Eye (15:49), and how the soloists (soprano, contralto and tenor) compliment each other in the track Sometime Like Apes (29:45).

http://www.youtube.com/v/4a4dJbKQfAs

More info can be found on Nyman's website...

God I love this. My favorite part is earlier, tracks 4, 5

Please please don't throw me in the bryar patch said Brer Rabbit.
I wouldn't suggest this to EigenUser as the textures are pretty dense, not a good place to start with Nyman.

>:D

EigenUser

Quote from: Ken B on March 28, 2014, 06:42:18 PM
God I love this. My favorite part is earlier, tracks 4, 5

Please please don't throw me in the bryar patch said Brer Rabbit.
I wouldn't suggest this to EigenUser as the textures are pretty dense, not a good place to start with Nyman.

>:D
:laugh: :P
I actually don't like opera very much (again, the singing). No, not even "Le Grand Macabre" :o !

Ken B

Quote from: EigenUser on March 28, 2014, 07:13:29 PM
:laugh: :P
I actually don't like opera very much (again, the singing). No, not even "Le Grand Macabre" :o !
It's not really opera. But singing? Non-stop.
Have you ever had Dutch licorice? This is like the 7p of Nyman licorice.

EigenUser

Gave up on the "Noises, Sounds, and Sweet Airs". Not the music, but the singing. BUT -- I am listening to Nyman's "Piano Concerto". I can tell that he wrote for films too (didn't he?).

Ken B

Quote from: EigenUser on March 28, 2014, 07:25:42 PM
Gave up on the "Noises, Sounds, and Sweet Airs". Not the music, but the singing. BUT -- I am listening to Nyman's "Piano Concerto". I can tell that he wrote for films too (didn't he?).
Yes the PC was assembled from a film score. His most popular piece, one of the best selling records in classical music, but not one of his best.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Ken B on March 28, 2014, 07:27:53 PM
Yes the PC was assembled from a film score. His most popular piece, one of the best selling records in classical music, but not one of his best.

I love The Piano Concerto, up there with Noises and MGV, but regarding film scores he did better than The Piano. His Peter Greenaway scores are great, and outside of those I've always found some brilliance in Six Days, Six Nights. Also, there are sections from The Claim that are breathtakingly gorgeous.

EigenUser

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 28, 2014, 07:34:38 PM
I love The Piano Concerto, up there with Noises and MGV, but regarding film scores he did better than The Piano. His Peter Greenaway scores are great, and outside of those I've always found some brilliance in Six Days, Six Nights. Also, there are sections from The Claim that are breathtakingly gorgeous.
Energetic 3rd movement!

I still think that I prefer the more enigmatic label of minimalism dished-up by Reich ("The Desert Music" and "Music for 18 Musicians") and some Adams ("SHAKER LOOPS" and "Short Ride in a Fast Machine"), but Nyman is pretty good! To me it's more interesting than Glass, I think.