The Bryars Patch

Started by snyprrr, February 20, 2014, 07:22:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

Then there's Nyman's closest comparison, Gavin Bryars, who really has one of the most pleasing Minimalist styles. Again, all I have is the Ardo disc of SQs, but I enjoy them a lot more than the Nyman. Bryars can be 'mellow', which, when repeating, comes in handy!

Ken B

I like the thread name!
I have a particular Bryars piece in mind to post. I'll hunt for it.

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Ken B

Bryars, avec un objet trouvé.

Bryars found a recording of an old man, rather poor and in ill health, but with a deep religious faith, singing a song. He looped it and went to town. With Tom Hanks

Jesus blood never failed me yet http://m.youtube.com/results?q=jesus%20blood%20never%20failed%20me%20yet&sm=1

It,s either kitschy or moving. Sometimes hard to tell which, but I like it.

snyprrr

Quote from: Ken B on February 20, 2014, 01:28:30 PM
Bryars, avec un objet trouvé.

Bryars found a recording of an old man, rather poor and in ill health, but with a deep religious faith, singing a song. He looped it and went to town. With Tom Hanks

Jesus blood never failed me yet http://m.youtube.com/results?q=jesus%20blood%20never%20failed%20me%20yet&sm=1

It,s either kitschy or moving. Sometimes hard to tell which, but I like it.

This came out when I was at Tower. At the time it had the 'Gorecki Appeal', or, the overwhelmingly 'Commercial Beauty' that this 'chorale' (what form is it? passacaglia?) that ... really... just about any 'common' music has. It reminds me of Eno's Pachelbel. Part's 'Festina Lente' is my favuorite example of this style.

North Star

This thread ought to be combined with the old Bryars thread
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Dax

Ken B

Quote from: Dax on February 21, 2014, 08:41:55 AM
Er . . . Tom Waits!
Him too! I think Hanks was second violin.
:-\

7/4

Quote from: North Star on February 21, 2014, 06:07:20 AM
This thread ought to be combined with the old Bryars thread

I think so too. That thread wasn't even long.