Gabriel Fauré (Faure)

Started by The Emperor, July 21, 2007, 10:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on December 11, 2022, 01:36:14 PMSounds utterly delusional.

Wait! Mysterious Requiems, secret codes hidden in a keyboard, manuscripts buried in the fields, evil composers --- that's a Dan Brown novel, actually (it even has his trademark historical ignorance: the first performance of Verdi's Requiem actually took place in 1874, not in 1869). ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Mandryka

I wonder if you'd enjoy this @Herman -  it's spiders webs and rainbows.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mandryka

https://static.qobuz.com/goodies/36/000166263.pdf

The above is the booklet for Lucas Debargue's complete piano music. Straight away you have to make two adjustments to the recording. First the order is order of composition  (I think) - so you don't get a continuous sequence of barcarolles or nocturnes. And second the piano (something called Opus 102 by Stephen Paulello) sounds like no other. The booklet is interesting, with some pointers for further reading which I hope to persue. The sound quality is strange - and is lovely in quiet music, not so sure when the music is louder where on the big quads it sounds a little bit metallic (first reaction, so don't take it too seriously, but I thought I'd mention it, and of course it could be a realistic feature of the instrument) On the basis of a handful of barcarolles the playing seems to have the lightness, the gossamer lightness, which I want.

Anyway, the bottom line is that I feel rather enthusiastic about this one, and I kind of regret not going to see him play a few weeks ago. But it needs time to form a sound judgement obvs.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Madiel

It's by opus number.

Which in this case generally does correspond to order of composition with some minor exceptions.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!