Gabriel Fauré (Faure)

Started by The Emperor, July 21, 2007, 10:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

The op.84 collection was not the composer's idea, it was his publisher's. It brings together small pieces that were written across several decades. If I recall correctly the Nocturne was one of the newest ones.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Madiel on June 02, 2024, 02:30:11 PMThe op.84 collection was not the composer's idea, it was his publisher's. It brings together small pieces that were written across several decades. If I recall correctly the Nocturne was one of the newest ones.

Oh. That reduces the incentive to listen together. I was imagining something along the lines of Hindemith's sets of diverse sonatas.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mandryka

Gorgeous old fashioned serious but tender and radiant op 120 trio here from Trio Op 8

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Tremendous sense of naturalness, authenticity, modesty in this Fauré cd. Some of the later songs, with double digit opus numbers, are fabulous. I'd kind of dismissed it before because I thought the earlier songs weren't so interesting: that was a mistake.

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Mandryka on June 22, 2024, 05:36:27 AMTremendous sense of naturalness, authenticity, modesty in this Fauré cd. Some of the later songs, with double digit opus numbers, are fabulous. I'd kind of dismissed it before because I thought the earlier songs weren't so interesting: that was a mistake.

I was the names of a male and a female. To my disappointment, I found out the male was the vocalist.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Mandryka

Quote from: Spotted Horses on June 27, 2024, 10:39:44 AMI was the names of a male and a female. To my disappointment, I found out the male was the vocalist.

A bit of amusing discussion about him here -from my post 18. All trained singers seem to hate him.

https://www.talkclassical.com/threads/singers-with-bad-technique-who-you-like-anyway.89609/?post_id=2668648#post-2668648

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Mandryka on June 27, 2024, 11:05:55 AMA bit of amusing discussion about him here -from my post 18. All trained singers seem to hate him.

https://www.talkclassical.com/threads/singers-with-bad-technique-who-you-like-anyway.89609/?post_id=2668648#post-2668648

For me it's nothing that sophisticated. I don't really enjoy "classical" lieder/melodie singing, and male voices are less attractive than female.

I can only think of two releases in that genre that I really like.

Mandryka

This is a pretty new release - April this year. I have to say, I think Stéphane Degout is an outstanding barytone, flexible and expressive. Planès seems OK, rather nice. And the recording includes all the main Faure cycles for male voice - La Bonne Chanson, Mirages, Horizons Chimériques.