Gabriel Fauré (Faure)

Started by The Emperor, July 21, 2007, 10:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scion7

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Madiel

Right folks, I really really do need to find myself a Requiem. It's crazy that I haven't got a recording yet.

I'm inclined to prefer the 1893, more chamber-like version. Names I've heard mentioned include Rutter, Gardiner, Herreweghe (he's apparently done one this and one of the full orchestral version) and Summerly on Naxos.

The Gardiner looks appealing, partly because of some interesting couplings. Anybody know it?
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

North Star

Quote from: ørfeo on October 09, 2016, 05:01:23 AM
Right folks, I really really do need to find myself a Requiem. It's crazy that I haven't got a recording yet.

I'm inclined to prefer the 1893, more chamber-like version. Names I've heard mentioned include Rutter, Gardiner, Herreweghe (he's apparently done one this and one of the full orchestral version) and Summerly on Naxos.

The Gardiner looks appealing, partly because of some interesting couplings. Anybody know it?
Best & Corydon's recording of the 1893 ought to be good, too, I suppose.

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

knight66

Re your request for a suggestion on the Faure Requiem Orfeo,

I cannot over enthuse about the Tenebre recording on the LSO Live label. It has a unique pairing. The disc opens with Bach's D Minor solo violin sonata and segues magically into the Faure. The disc contains the version that you want and I don't think you will be disappointed by it.
For decades I stuck with Willcocks and Kings, looked occasionally for an alternative and never found one that I thought replicated the delicacy and consoling aspects, yet took account of the work's occasional dramatic passages. However the new one really sinks you into the cool beauty of the piece. Tenebre is an exceptional choir, the soloists are not famous stars, but they are totally satisfying.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

San Antone

Quote from: ørfeo on October 09, 2016, 05:01:23 AM

I love the Gardiner and was going to recommend it when I first saw your post.  ;)

Madiel

Quote from: knight66 on October 13, 2016, 03:56:12 AM
Re your request for a suggestion on the Faure Requiem Orfeo,

I cannot over enthuse about the Tenebre recording on the LSO Live label. It has a unique pairing. The disc opens with Bach's D Minor solo violin sonata and segues magically into the Faure. The disc contains the version that you want and I don't think you will be disappointed by it.
For decades I stuck with Willcocks and Kings, looked occasionally for an alternative and never found one that I thought replicated the delicacy and consoling aspects, yet took account of the work's occasional dramatic passages. However the new one really sinks you into the cool beauty of the piece. Tenebre is an exceptional choir, the soloists are not famous stars, but they are totally satisfying.

Mike

I did see an extremely positive review of that one. I have to confess, the whole idea of a "segue" from one composer to another struck me as, well... just slightly odd. It's something I can imagine in a concert setting, I'm less sure how I feel about it in a recording.

But I shall have to add it to the list of versions to check out, given the degree of enthusiasm it is generating.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

knight66

I agree, it sounds like a gimmick and an insult to both composers. But it worked for me. Also there is the option of ignoring the Bach and going straight for the Faure. I am now at home and will put the disc on and see if it still sounds as good to me.

Mike

PS The disc lasts 68 minutes and the movements of the Partita are themselves interleaved with sung chorales. Althoughan LSO disc, this was not recorded in their usual venue which has a dry acoustic. It was recorded at St Giles Cripplegate, London. The sound has an appropriate bloom to it.
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Kaiser

Been a long time since I've posted on this forum, but I wanted to pass along a discovery I made recently. I picked up two albums of Faure's piano music performed by Albert Ferber issued in the UK on a label called Saga Records. These were issued in the mid-to-late 1970s - I have no idea if they ever made it to CD. Although I am far from an expert in Faure and/or classical music in general I really loved these performances. Certainly worth the $1 I paid for each one - and worth investigating for the Faure fan! Anyone else know of these releases?
"Music is organized sound" - Edgard Varese

San Antone

Listening to a new recording of the Requiem -

Yale Schola Cantorum, David Hill (conductor), Robert Bennesh (organ)  [harp, violin and cello]
Recording details: February 2015
Christ Church, New Haven, Connecticut, USA
Produced by Malcolm Bruno
Engineered by Mateusz Zechowski
Release date: 27 October 2017

I enjoy the spare instrumentation and the choir sings in a devout, understated, manner which allows the music to breathe and come alive in a way that is overshot with the conventional versions.  So far, I like this a lot, but it is early days, yet.

mjwal

Quote from: Kaiser on June 21, 2017, 07:13:46 PM
Been a long time since I've posted on this forum, but I wanted to pass along a discovery I made recently. I picked up two albums of Faure's piano music performed by Albert Ferber issued in the UK on a label called Saga Records. These were issued in the mid-to-late 1970s - I have no idea if they ever made it to CD. Although I am far from an expert in Faure and/or classical music in general I really loved these performances. Certainly worth the $1 I paid for each one - and worth investigating for the Faure fan! Anyone else know of these releases?

Ditto (long time) - yes, I have one of the original LPs (in The Other Place), they were my very satisfying introduction to Fauré's piano music, in particular the Nocturnes, which I love; nowadays I will probably put on Yvonne Lefébure playing Nos.6 or 13, my favourites. The string quintets and cello works are also marvellous. And of course I can never forget Danco and Souzay in the Requiem.
The Violin's Obstinacy

It needs to return to this one note,
not a tune and not a key
but the sound of self it must depart from,
a journey lengthily to go
in a vein it knows will cripple it.
Peter Porter

Madiel

Any recommendations for La Chanson d'Eve?

I'm frustrated by the performance I have (Jennifer Smith on Hyperion) because the vocal tone is just not attractive.

However, sampling on iTunes is revealing a fair few other singers who, while better, still don't seem to have what I envisage as an appropriate sound for portraying Eve.

Ones so far that sound like they have potential:

Dawn Upshaw
Veronique Dietschy
Possibly Elly Ameling, though the recording is a bit older and I'm not sure what formats it's still available in.
Possibly Sarah Connolly
Sayaka Takahashi

amw

I have the Ameling integral (on Brilliant Classics) because I generally like her voice. There's also a dude singing on that set who I think is Gérard Souzay.

It looks like all of La Chanson is up on youtube if you can access it in your country: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYteuGxbh08 (my personal opinion is that she mostly does a good job but seems to get a little breathless in the faster songs, but maybe that's just par for the course, and also I don't know the piece well)

Madiel

Quote from: amw on December 12, 2017, 05:36:30 AM
I have the Ameling integral (on Brilliant Classics) because I generally like her voice. There's also a dude singing on that set who I think is Gérard Souzay.

Okay, they did an EMI set together. So it's interesting to know that Brilliant has reissued that one.

amw

The Brilliant edition was cheaper, and had nice impressionist paintings on the CD covers, when I got it. Not sure what the situation is currently.

Josquin13

Another pianist that is worth hearing in Faure's piano music is Magda Tagliaferro, who played the Dolly Suite in concert with Faure (on tour).  There's a wonderful 1981 CBS (digital) recording of the suite that Tagliaferro made late in her life with one of her former students, Daniel Varsano that is worth searching out.  Unfortunately, I don't think it has ever been released on CD (I have it on LP).

[asin] B00FP9GVOA[/asin]

I've also enjoyed the older Faure piano recordings of Vlado Perlemuter, Germaine Thyssens-Valentin, Eric Heidsieck, Marguerite Long (on Biddulph), and the Nocturne No. 4 played by Madeleine de Valmaléte (on a CD that includes the finest performance of Ravel's Le Tombeau de Couperin I've ever heard).  More recently, I've liked the 'complete' Faure series from pianist Jean-Claude Pennetier on Mirare (which stands out among digital era recordings I've heard):

[asin]B001EVPBYO[/asin]
[asin]B005IQXULW[/asin]
[asin]B00VVOR9KS[/asin]

Otherwise, like others, I most enjoy Faure's Requiem (in all its different versions & subsequent editions--by leading Faure scholar Jean Nectoux, and Faure's students Roger Ducasse & Nadia Boulanger, etc.), especially the Pie Jesu & In Paradisum movements, along with his wonderful chamber music (especially the 2 Piano Quartets & Quintets), and Melodies.

A favorite Faure work of mine is the chamber version of his song cycle, "La Bonne Chanson".  For me, that is quintessential Faure.  The two best recordings I've heard to date have come from the Nash Ensemble, with mezzo-soprano Sarah Walker, on CRD, and soprano Anne Sofie von Otter, on DG; though as good as they are, I'd like to find a recording by a comparable French soprano one day (maybe Sandrine Piau?).  I do have a French soprano that I like very much in the version for voice & piano--Veronique Dietschy (with pianist Philippe Cassard on the Ades label), but that recording is hard to find now (except as a download).  I also enjoy the Dutch soprano, Elly Ameling's recording of La Bonne Chanson with pianist Dalton Baldwin (originally on CBS), but to my knowledge it has never been released on CD:

[asin]B000001GRC[/asin]
This is pricey at the moment on Amazon, but I would imagine it can be found at a reasonable cost elsewhere:
[asin]B00PO5DA7G[/asin]

https://www.amazon.fr/Melodies-Veronique-Dietschy-Ph%60Ilippe-Cassard/dp/B000024SMM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1513119060&sr=8-2&keywords=veronique+dietschy+faure

Unfortunately, I can only find Ameling's recording on vinyl:
[asin]B00B04P84I[/asin]

I can provide folks with a detailed history of the various chamber & orchestral editions of the Requiem in relation to its recorded history, if anyone's interested?  (It's helpful to know if you're trying to decide between which recording to buy.)

Que

Quote from: Josquin13 on December 12, 2017, 01:40:08 PM
A favorite Faure work of mine is the chamber version of his song cycle, "La Bonne Chanson".  For me, that is quintessential Faure. [....]  I also enjoy the Dutch soprano, Elly Ameling's recording of La Bonne Chanson with pianist Dalton Baldwin (originally on CBS), but to my knowledge it has never been released on CD:

[...]

Unfortunately, I can only find Ameling's recording on vinyl:

Issued on CD by EMI, reissued by Brilliant  Classics:  :)

Q

San Antone

Quote from: Que on December 12, 2017, 02:01:57 PM

That's the one I have; excellent collection.

Josquin13

Quote from: Que on December 12, 2017, 02:01:57 PM

Q

I'm afraid the Brilliant set is a reissue of Ameling's EMI survey shared with tenor Gerard Souzay.  This one:

[asin]B000002S30[/asin]

And, La Bonne Chanson is sung by Souzay on that set, not Ameling.  Her one recording of the song cycle came later in her career for CBS, with pianist Dalton Baldwin on piano, and to my knowledge, the CBS recording has never been issued on CD.

Que

Quote from: Josquin13 on December 12, 2017, 03:32:02 PM
I'm afraid the Brilliant set is a reissue of Ameling's EMI survey shared with tenor Gerard Souzay.

And, La Bonne Chanson is sung by Souzay on that set, not Ameling.  Her one recording of the song cycle came later in her career for CBS, with pianist Dalton Baldwin on piano, and to my knowledge, the CBS recording has never been issued on CD.

I should have checked!   :)

Q

Madiel

Interesting reading on the string version of La bonne chanson. Faure apparently later said he didn't like it much.