Gabriel Fauré (Faure)

Started by The Emperor, July 21, 2007, 10:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mandryka on January 28, 2019, 01:08:03 AM

I listened to the op 108 sonata here, I'm not totally sure who's playing piano, but it made me think that the qualities I value most from the late music at least are lightness and transparency.

I've read a review (or two) where the reviewer mentions the audio quality of this set isn't very good. What's your take on it, Mandryka?

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 27, 2019, 05:55:16 PM
The reasoning for my initial question is that I'm a complete Fauré noob in the regard that I'm just finally clicking with his music after nine years of questioning and figuring out why it was so elusive to me.

Somehow Fauré's music clicked with me instantly. I have never struggled with Fauré. He has been one of the easiest composers for me to get into. I just love his harmonic nyances and how everything seems both rational and emotional at the same time. His chamber music, especially the Piano Quintets, blew me away. His Requiem is my favorite Requiem. He isn't the greatest with orchestral music and his output in general is a bit limited, but you can't have everything. I enjoy pretty much every note he composed. To me is incomprehensible how someone can find Fauré elusive, but we are different. To me Verdi and Rossini are totally elusive and for many that might seem incomprehensible.  ;D
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: 71 dB on January 28, 2019, 08:44:07 AM
Somehow Fauré's music clicked with me instantly. I have never struggled with Fauré. He has been one of the easiest composers for me to get into. I just love his harmonic nyances and how everything seems both rational and emotional at the same time. His chamber music, especially the Piano Quintets, blew me away. His Requiem is my favorite Requiem. He isn't the greatest with orchestral music and his output in general is a bit limited, but you can't have everything. I enjoy pretty much every note he composed. To me is incomprehensible how someone can find Fauré elusive, but we are different. To me Verdi and Rossini are totally elusive and for many that might seem incomprehensible.  ;D

Well put.

I have enjoyed Faure from the first, but I find it takes effort. Faure, to my ear, has something in common with the spirit of Brahms. Beauties in mature Faure waft by. A beautiful melody may unfold in a seemingly fragmented form. Harmonies are implied by a cascade of flowing arpeggios. He doesn't beat you over the head with his idea, you have to distill it.

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on January 28, 2019, 08:44:07 AM

I suppose the same way you can find Sibelius to be such a mystery, but, yes, we're very different and that's a great thing.

San Antone

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on January 28, 2019, 09:03:53 AM
Well put.

I have enjoyed Faure from the first, but I find it takes effort. Faure, to my ear, has something in common with the spirit of Brahms. Beauties in mature Faure waft by. A beautiful melody may unfold in a seemingly fragmented form. Harmonies are implied by a cascade of flowing arpeggios. He doesn't beat you over the head with his idea, you have to distill it.

My first exposure to Faure was with the Requiem, which I loved immediately.  Then the chamber music, which also found a home in my heart.  I have listened to the piano music only but superficially, although my impression is positive.   I think I'll listen to the Nocturnes right now.   8)

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: San Antone on January 28, 2019, 10:44:46 AM
My first exposure to Faure was with the Requiem, which I loved immediately.  Then the chamber music, which also found a home in my heart.  I have listened to the piano music only but superficially, although my impression is positive.   I think I'll listen to the Nocturnes right now.   8)

I'm probably the only Faure fan on earth that has never heard the requiem.  For piano music, I think the Barcarolles are my favorites.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on January 28, 2019, 10:47:41 AM
I'm probably the only Faure fan on earth that has never heard the requiem.  For piano music, I think the Barcarolles are my favorites.

What in the world?!?!?!? [Mouth drops on the floor.]

71 dB

I'm probably the only Faure fan on earth that has never heard the requiem. 

Wow, that is something! A Faure fan who has not heard his Requiem? That's like beeing a Beethoven fanatic who has not heard his fifth symphony! Or an Elgarian who hasn't heard the Enigma Variations. Just wow!  ???  :o

San Antone

I chose to listen to Pennetier recordings of the piano works and the first one was Barcarolle no. 7 in D Minor.

He doesn't play with abandon but the restraint offers Faure with more transparency .

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: 71 dB on January 28, 2019, 11:33:50 AM
Wow, that is something! A Faure fan who has not heard his Requiem? That's like beeing a Beethoven fanatic who has not heard his fifth symphony! Or an Elgarian who hasn't heard the Enigma Variations. Just wow!  ???  :o

I'm not attracted to choral music, and when I get the idea to listen to Faure it never seems to make it to the top of the pile. Someday...

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: San Antone on January 28, 2019, 11:39:35 AM
I chose to listen to Pennetier recordings of the piano works and the first one was Barcarolle no. 7 in D Minor.

He doesn't play with abandon but the restraint offers Faure with more transparency .

Abandon is rarely the correct approach with Faure, in my experience. My trouble with Faure is when I listen to a piece, I want to hear it again, and again, and again before going on to another piece. He demands a lot of time, despite a relatively small body of works.

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 28, 2019, 10:08:16 AM
I suppose the same way you can find Sibelius to be such a mystery, but, yes, we're very different and that's a great thing.

I wouldn't say I find Sibelius to be a mystery. I used to be into Sibelius briefly the early phases of my classical music discovery, before I found out there is much better stuff out there.  0:) I can say the second and seventh symphonies had an important role in preparing me for all the great stuff classical music has to offer.

71 dB

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on January 28, 2019, 11:44:24 AM
I'm not attracted to choral music, and when I get the idea to listen to Faure it never seems to make it to the top of the pile. Someday...

Chances are after hearing Faure's Requiem you ARE more attracted to choral music.  0:)

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: 71 dB on January 28, 2019, 11:52:30 AM
Chances are after hearing Faure's Requiem you ARE more attracted to choral music.  0:)

Could be. The rare choral music I enjoy is mostly Bach, with a few other exceptions such as the Mozart mass in c minor and Stravinsky's Symphony of Psalms. An intimate ensemble is most attractive to me. Maybe Faure will be another exception.

Jo498

I like choral music and I like Fauré's chamber and piano music but I am not fond of that Requiem either...
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Jo498 on January 28, 2019, 12:10:13 PM
I like choral music and I like Fauré's chamber and piano music but I am not fond of that Requiem either...

I can't say I'm not fond of it, I've never heard it.  :laugh:

San Antone

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on January 28, 2019, 11:47:23 AM
Abandon is rarely the correct approach with Faure, in my experience. My trouble with Faure is when I listen to a piece, I want to hear it again, and again, and again before going on to another piece. He demands a lot of time, despite a relatively small body of works.

Oh, I wasn't complaining, and "abandon" might not have been the best word.  His approach is not in the "Romantic" style; more understated and reserved.  Which suits the late works, I think very well.  I read somewhere that he studied with a student of Faure's and was taught to play the music with minimum pedaling.  I think the idea is to emphasize the counterpoint in the works and keep things clear, but not dry.

He has lived with these works for years, and waited until he was late in his career to commit them to recordings.  I really enjoy his approach.

Mandryka

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 28, 2019, 06:31:15 AM
I've read a review (or two) where the reviewer mentions the audio quality of this set isn't very good. What's your take on it, Mandryka?

In op 108 the piano sounds further away than the violin, the violin is playing right in my ear and the piano is in another room, I exaggerate in a way, in fact I never noticed it until I listened specifically for the sound.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

I wasn't suspecting you of being a complainer. :)

Most of my Faure listening has been Stott, which I find very satisfying. Listening to other pianists, Hubeau, Doyen, Collard, impressed on me how these works can sound different at the hands of a different pianists, even if it is hard to put my finger on exactly why.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mandryka on January 28, 2019, 12:57:49 PM
In op 108 the piano sounds further away than the violin, the violin is playing right in my ear and the piano is in another room, I exaggerate in a way, in fact I never noticed it until I listened specifically for the sound.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on January 28, 2019, 12:59:00 PM
I wasn't suspecting you of being a complainer. :)

Most of my Faure listening has been Stott, which I find very satisfying. Listening to other pianists, Hubeau, Doyen, Collard, impressed on me how these works can sound different at the hands of a different pianists, even if it is hard to put my finger on exactly why.

Would you say Stott's set is worth picking up, Scarps? It's in my queue at Amazon right now.