Gabriel Fauré (Faure)

Started by The Emperor, July 21, 2007, 10:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franco

For me, what I love by Fauré is 1st - the Requiem.  After than, the Mélodies, and chamber music: piano trio (!) & the two piano quartets, #2 especially.

Drasko

Quote from: Scarpia on April 09, 2010, 05:44:30 PM
Doyen is somewhat of a mystery, it was recorded by Erato, disappeared from the catalog almost immediately, has never been reissued, and seems to have sold very poorly, judging by how rarely a used copy turns up.  I'll admit to being curious about it. 

I've not heard it, but I am concerned that Hubeau may have been past his prime when these recordings were made.

There is a lot of both Doyen and Hubeau Faure on youtube (maybe even complete nocturnes by both) if you want to sample.

Herman

Quote from: Drasko on May 25, 2010, 02:23:58 PM
There is a lot of both Doyen and Hubeau Faure on youtube (maybe even complete nocturnes by both) if you want to sample.

Cool. They weren't there the previous time I checked Fauré piano music on YT. It's interesting to compare these pianists side by side.

Scarpia

Quote from: Herman on May 25, 2010, 03:09:06 PM
Cool. They weren't there the previous time I checked Fauré piano music on YT. It's interesting to compare these pianists side by side.

I found flac files of the Doyen Faure cycle in the blogsphere.  Hubeau is not a problem, since Warner re-issued it.

Bulldog

Quote from: Scarpia on May 25, 2010, 03:15:05 PM
I found flac files of the Doyen Faure cycle in the blogsphere.  Hubeau is not a problem, since Warner re-issued it.

Who's the trouble maker who changed the thread title?  I'm getting confused.

Scarpia

Quote from: Bulldog on May 25, 2010, 03:21:29 PM
Who's the trouble maker who changed the thread title?  I'm getting confused.

Drasko, apparentl, maybe this will fix it

Herman

Sid

I have been listening to Faure's Requiem a lot these days, ahead of a live performance of it here in Sydney this coming weekend. It's not a work that immediately grabbed me, but after the third listen, I began to appreciate it more. I really like how he uses the strings in this work - as a contrast to the voice. It is a very lyrical work, and the only moment of tragedy is the dies irae, which doesn't have a whole movement to itself, it appears as part of another movement. The pivotal violin solo (I have the original chamber version) does sound a little sentimental (it's almost as if Andre Rieu has briefly stepped into the room!), but what a lovely melody it plays. Written in the 1880's, this is a complete antithesis to the grandeur and pomp of someone like Wagner.

The other works on the tape are Faure's Messe Basse (the Low Mass) and eight of his motets. I hear a similiarity in the simplicity and directness of this music to guys like Arvo Part. Stylistically they are quite different, but I think that they both bring about a more subdued and intimate mood. I'm looking forward to the concert, and the accompanying work can be no more different - Vivaldi's Gloria.

I haven't heard much of his other music, and will go (if I can) to a lecture/recital by pianist Roy Howat tomorrow at the Sydney Con (it's free), who will play Chopin, Faure and Debussy. That will be interesting, because I have heard plenty of the piano works of the other two, but not Faure...

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Sid on September 22, 2010, 11:40:51 PM
I have been listening to Faure's Requiem a lot these days, ahead of a live performance of it here in Sydney this coming weekend. It's not a work that immediately grabbed me, but after the third listen, I began to appreciate it more. I really like how he uses the strings in this work - as a contrast to the voice. It is a very lyrical work, and the only moment of tragedy is the dies irae, which doesn't have a whole movement to itself, it appears as part of another movement. The pivotal violin solo (I have the original chamber version) does sound a little sentimental (it's almost as if Andre Rieu has briefly stepped into the room!), but what a lovely melody it plays. Written in the 1880's, this is a complete antithesis to the grandeur and pomp of someone like Wagner.

The other works on the tape are Faure's Messe Basse (the Low Mass) and eight of his motets. I hear a similiarity in the simplicity and directness of this music to guys like Arvo Part. Stylistically they are quite different, but I think that they both bring about a more subdued and intimate mood. I'm looking forward to the concert, and the accompanying work can be no more different - Vivaldi's Gloria.

I haven't heard much of his other music, and will go (if I can) to a lecture/recital by pianist Roy Howat tomorrow at the Sydney Con (it's free), who will play Chopin, Faure and Debussy. That will be interesting, because I have heard plenty of the piano works of the other two, but not Faure...

Oh you lucky bastard! That is my favorite requiem. I find the entire sound world will shift depending on the voices - children's choir or adult choir and the nature of some of the voices (usually the higher ones). The impact changes at least. I find that youthful voices work much better. Still, it is EXTREMELY moving in person. Did I mention you're a lucky bastard?! :)

Be kind to your fellow posters!!

abidoful

Quote from: abidoful on May 24, 2010, 09:02:43 PM
I like Faure. I always thought of him as a miniaturist little bit in the way Chopin was, and so I was little surprised when I found out he did compose also operas (more than one?).
Somehow his works for solo piano have left me quite cold (perhaps not so good performances??)  but I was charmed, I remember, when I first- a long time ago- heard some of he's songs (a la fontaine, apres un reve). Such sweet music; interesting, delicious!
Then I found out that he had composed quite a few chamber works and so I listened them. Wow...! Nice pieces for violin and piano (a berceuse) and a lovely Trio.

Faure is astonishingly melodic; not just one great tune, but quite a few- songs, Trio, violin pieces... :o

Looking forward to  have a more fuller knowledge of his work- to know him also as an orchestral composer. Anyway, a fascinating musical personality, perhaps reminding little Edward Grieg-sort of lyric- but in the light of his chamber works, the description "Brahms of France" seems also justified.  He seems to have been  one of those who also continued the great tradition of Chopin in his piano Barcarolles, Nocturnes, preludes and Impromptus... ::)

That is, IMO---IMHO a nice post =)

:P :P :P :P :P :P

Sid

Quote from: ukrneal on September 23, 2010, 06:50:10 AM
Oh you lucky bastard! That is my favorite requiem. I find the entire sound world will shift depending on the voices - children's choir or adult choir and the nature of some of the voices (usually the higher ones). The impact changes at least. I find that youthful voices work much better. Still, it is EXTREMELY moving in person. Did I mention you're a lucky bastard?! :)

Well yes, we are very fortunate here in Sydney to have so many good groups performing interesting music (& that's outside of the "flagship" groups like the Sydney Symphony, etc.).

I'm not sure whether the group I'll see will do the version with children's choir or just adult. It will probably be the chamber version because I have seen this group before, and they have a chamber-sized orchestra. They are called the Sydney University Musical Society (SUMS - a nice acronym!) & they perform their concerts in the Great Hall of the university, which is historic (in Sydney's terms) - an 150 year old neo-Gothic building...

eyeresist

Currently listening to Barenboim's recording of the Requiem and loving it, despite some fluttering in the left channel during the early movements. This is the 1992 release; hopefully it was cleaned up in the later issue. Incidentally, someone called "scriabinmahler" has spammed the Amason reviews, calling this performance the "worst ever". Not to my ears. This tastefully romantic interpretation fits perfectly with what else I know of Faure.

Mirror Image

Quote from: eyeresist on April 18, 2011, 09:37:42 PM
Currently listening to Barenboim's recording of the Requiem and loving it, despite some fluttering in the left channel during the early movements. This is the 1992 release; hopefully it was cleaned up in the later issue. Incidentally, someone called "scriabinmahler" has spammed the Amason reviews, calling this performance the "worst ever". Not to my ears. This tastefully romantic interpretation fits perfectly with what else I know of Faure.

You have to watch those Amazon reviewers. Sometimes I have to wonder how they even get out of bed.

Madiel

Oh lordy.  I know not every composer can be up on page one all the time, but... 11 months of silence?

Have I wandered into a classical music forum, only to find that it's not awash with Faure fans? *Cries*

Such a wonderful composer. I've been hooked ever since I discovered the piano works.  As well as those I have much of the chamber music, and I've got my eye on the songs recorded by Hyperion as the next purchase.  And no, I don't own a Requiem yet.

He's often listed these days as one of the major composers (for example, the Classical Archives website, or Presto Classical), but I still think more ought to be done to advance the Faure cult!  :D
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

(additional thought quite a few hours later)

Does anyone have any recommendations for the 1st Cello Sonata?

I have Tortelier & Heidsieck, and the first movement is astonishingly spiky on Tortelier's part. Not sure what I think of the rest either.

I've just been having a very quick sample of other recordings, and two sounded quite promising: a relatively new one on Hyperion by Gerhardt & Licad, and an EMI recording by Lodeon & Collard.  But that's only from listening to the opening of that 1st movement.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Que

Quote from: orfeo on March 26, 2012, 02:03:35 AM
(additional thought quite a few hours later)

Does anyone have any recommendations for the 1st Cello Sonata?

I have Tortelier & Heidsieck, and the first movement is astonishingly spiky on Tortelier's part. Not sure what I think of the rest either.

I've just been having a very quick sample of other recordings, and two sounded quite promising: a relatively new one on Hyperion by Gerhardt & Licad, and an EMI recording by Lodeon & Collard.  But that's only from listening to the opening of that 1st movement.

Haven't got it yet, but this one is on my wishlist after a favourable impression. Ophélie Gaillard is also an excellent Baroque cellist, which IMO leads to a fresh approach.

Q

[asin]B000VPNK60[/asin]

The new erato

I like this a lot:

[asin]B000Q6ZVTS[/asin]

SonicMan46

Well, first there are plenty of Faure fans here - just that some threads seem to get lost for a while -  :-\

Second, I've had the disc below of the Cello & Piano works for years now - maybe time to add (NOT replace) a new one! :)

mszczuj

Quote from: orfeo on March 25, 2012, 06:35:03 PM
Oh lordy.  I know not every composer can be up on page one all the time, but... 11 months of silence?

But what is the reason to talk about the pure beauty? What can you say about it? May be it is better to remain in the pious silence?