Hello from (Northern) Virginia!

Started by EigenUser, February 20, 2014, 11:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Out of the following composers, which one should be my new avatar?

Bela Bartok
Gyorgy Ligeti
Claude Debussy
Igor Stravinsky
Keep Maurice Ravel!

EigenUser

I've been posting for a few weeks and last summer I was occupying some free time going through the old "Mystery Scores" thread. A new one was started: http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,22643.0.html .

I am nowhere near as well-versed in the vast amount of classical music that many people here seem to know and I'd like to get to know more whether it is music I like or not. I tend to be passionate about a select few composers and I like to know their work inside-out. For about half of my life this has been the story with Bartok and within the past few years I have really connected with Ravel, Ligeti, and Debussy. I am a big fan of 20th-century music, but I can also appreciate some Baroque (Bach). Ligeti seems to be the most avant-garde that I'll listen to, but I also enjoy Penderecki a little bit.

I have read a few places that classical music lovers have a large attention span. I assure you that this is not the case with me at all and it is something that really limits me. For instance, I love some of the late-romantic writing of Mahler, Strauss, and Brahms -- but I usually get bored after about 20 minutes (if even that long). The result: I listen to only certain movements at a time (we'll call this the first big no-no of mine). I find almost no connection to the Classical era -- my weakness, not the music's. The closest I get to this is Mendelssohn whose later string symphonies I really enjoy quite a bit (I've performed the 8th and 9th, as well). They're almost like a fusion of some classicism with the contrapuntal writing of the Baroque era.

Usually (but not always) I like to associate music with images (we'll call this the second big no-no). Some people like to say that great art speaks for itself, but I disagree with this statement. Take a piece like Debussy's "La Mer". Would I think of the sea if the work was called something generic like "Symphony"? Probably not. For this reason, I probably would not enjoy it as much. By "speaking for the art" (so to speak) and calling it "La Mer", why should I not think of this as great art if I enjoy it so much? Similar idea with Ligeti's "San Francisco Polyphony" and his musical depiction of the city.

Anyway, I look forward to discovering more music here and to fill in some gaps in what I listen to.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Pat B

Welcome to gmg!

I like to listen to works in their entirety. But if listening to a movement at a time is what works for you, then that's what you should do. You're probably in the minority here, but I doubt you're alone.

Your second big no-no is not a no-no at all. You might be interested in this thread.

Mirror Image

Welcome aboard! We've already spoke to each many times already and I look forward to getting to know you and your tastes better. All the best!

bhodges

Hi EigenUser, and welcome. No reason someone with a shorter attention span can't find plenty to enjoy in classical music. Personally, I love the cathartic experience of listening to a Mahler symphony in its entirety - as engaging as a movie of the same length - but there are plenty of works in the 10-20-minute range, by all kinds of composers. Anyway, enjoy yourself!

--Bruce

EigenUser

Thanks, everyone! I like it here. I've been posting for not even a month and I've discovered so much stuff already.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

mc ukrneal

That's great! Continue to enjoy the journey (and no one said it couldn't be in shorter bits!)...:)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

kishnevi

Sounds like you'd be a natural for Webern.....
You might, as a sort of bridge to opera,  investigate song cycles.

I'll be up your way in May, btw,  doing a Civil War thing for a couple of days with relatives:  we'll be part of a group visiting Spotsylvania and related sites 150 years to the day(s) after the battles, and be staying in Fredericksburg.

Ken B

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on February 25, 2014, 07:14:18 PM
Sounds like you'd be a natural for Webern.....
You might, as a sort of bridge to opera,  investigate song cycles.

I'll be up your way in May, btw,  doing a Civil War thing for a couple of days with relatives:  we'll be part of a group visiting Spotsylvania and related sites 150 years to the day(s) after the battles, and be staying in Fredericksburg.
OMG, a newbie and I forgot to peddle Schoene Muellerin! (schubert) This is the place to start with song cycles.

A natural for Webern indeed. Wicked Jeffery, wicked.  8)

EigenUser

Help me decide on a new avatar. I'm sick of seeing this picture of Ravel every time I log in.

bhodges

The Ravel photo is nice! But since you asked, I voted for Ligeti. (Just to stir up trouble, does your avatar have to be a composer?  8))

--Bruce

North Star

Quote from: EigenUser on March 20, 2014, 08:20:30 AM
Help me decide on a new avatar. I'm sick of seeing this picture of Ravel every time I log in.
I voted for Ravel:laugh:
But since you want to change it, I'll second Ligeti
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Lisztianwagner

I would honestly suggest to keep the Ravel picture, it's so lovely! But since you want to change, I'll vote for Debussy.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

North Star

Lots of good options to choose from.  8)

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

Quote from: EigenUser on March 20, 2014, 08:20:30 AM

As the others suggested, Ligeti would be the perfect fit for you since you're such a fan of his music.

amw

I suggest Vítězslava Kaprálová (Martinů's onetime girlfriend and a composer of significant quality). Way too many boys in people's avatars these days. >.>

Mirror Image

Quote from: amw on March 21, 2014, 12:07:36 AM
I suggest Vítězslava Kaprálová (Martinů's onetime girlfriend and a composer of significant quality). Way too many boys in people's avatars these days. >.>

Never heard a note of her music. In fact, never heard her name mentioned either.

springrite

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 20, 2014, 05:05:56 PM
As the others suggested, Ligeti would be the perfect fit for you since you're such a fan of his music.

Ligeti, although he's not very, uh, not very Virginian.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

EigenUser

I'm going to keep a list here of pieces that I have discovered and been completely taken by since I've been on GMG, just to keep track.
-Thomas Ades' "Asyla" (amw)
-Morton Feldman's "Rothko Chapel" (MirrorImage)
-Maurice Ohana's "Cello Concerto: In Dark and Blue" (sanantonio)
-Walter Piston's "Violin Concerto No. 1" (KenB)

Ken B

Quote from: EigenUser on March 30, 2014, 06:16:23 PM
I'm going to keep a list here of pieces that I have discovered and been completely taken by since I've been on GMG, just to keep track.
-Thomas Ades' "Asyla" (amw)
-Morton Feldman's "Rothko Chapel" (MirrorImage)
-Maurice Ohana's "Cello Concerto: In Dark and Blue" (sanantonio)
-Walter Piston's "Violin Concerto No. 1" (KenB)
Simpson 9 ...