Isang Yun

Started by snyprrr, March 15, 2009, 07:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex Bozman

Quote from: Maestro267 on May 03, 2023, 06:03:11 AMAnyone got anything to say about these symphonies? It doesn't help that he leaves his movements untitled. Where's the symphonic forms?
I was inspired by the chapter in Blackwell's Recorded Contemporary Music to buy the first four symphonies. The selected work is the Symphony no 3, which because of the description, I was able to get a handle on, but the others felt fairly elusive. Haven't listened to any for a long time, must unearth and have another hearing.

My favourite Yun pieces are Loyang, Reak, the Flute Concerto and especially the Cello Concerto, which is musically linked to his experience of being kidnapped and imprisoned in S Korea. It's a powerful piece and that intensity sets it aside from the other pieces heard, although the sound world is recognisably Yun. 

vers la flamme

There's a North Korean ensemble named after him: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isang_Yun_Orchestra I was surprised to see they had recorded some of his music for Wergo, I wonder if the recordings were made in Pyongyang or abroad. I don't know the backstory, did he have ties to the North Korean regime?

I have heard very little of Mr. Isang Yun's music, just a disc on Capriccio with some chamber works. What else should I hear?

KevinP

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 27, 2023, 06:15:16 PMdid he have ties to the North Korean regime?

Though born deep in the south, Yun was born well before the split, before there was a North or South Korea, so they probably just consider him one of their own.

Also, a straight telling of his life story with little to no distortion would paint a narrative of the South that the North would love reproduced.

As for what to listen to, whatever you can. I'm not sure what's in print and what's still attainable.

I just ordered the Naxos disc myself.

KevinP

Not counting the Naxos that hasn't arrived yet, this is what I have by him.

Not sure how readable it's going to be after several attempts at resizing.

KevinP

Much to the delight of my bank, I seem to have just fallen down a Yoon Isang rabbit hole.

Funny how much of this I have to import into Korea.