Rota's Roundtable

Started by Ken B, February 21, 2014, 08:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Have been greatly enjoying this CD - especially Symphony No.1. This is quite sunny music but not superficial. I find echoes of Respighi, Braga Santos and Vaughan Williams in Symphony No.1:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Symphonic Addict

Earlier I was listening to orchestral selections from 'Il Gattopardo' from this set (Muti conducting the Filarmonica della Scala):

Gosh, how intensely impassioned this is!! It's not the first time Rota manages to impress me this way, this man was a genuinely talented composer. Those soaring melodies don't go unnoticed, it's hard not to be moved by them.

No doubts why Rota is one of the greatest Italian composers (at least I do think so).
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Recently discovered Rota's two delightful PCs in this wonderfully played and recorded disc:

The E minor concerto, subtitled Piccolo mondo antico, is a lushly Romantic score in a quasi-Rachmaninoffian vein, while the C major concerto is a more neoclassical affair with (marginally) tarter harmonies and playful rhythms. As per usual with this composer, neither work makes any pretense towards depth or complexity, and none the worse for that. Thoroughly delicious stuff!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on July 29, 2023, 07:46:46 PMRecently discovered Rota's two delightful PCs in this wonderfully played and recorded disc:

The E minor concerto, subtitled Piccolo mondo antico, is a lushly Romantic score in a quasi-Rachmaninoffian vein, while the C major concerto is a more neoclassical affair with (marginally) tarter harmonies and playful rhythms. As per usual with this composer, neither work makes any pretense towards depth or complexity, and none the worse for that. Thoroughly delicious stuff!

Good stuff, Kyle! Count me as another fan of his several concertos. The first two symphonies and the Sinfonia sopra una canzone d'amore contain great material as well. The 3rd is a let-down, I don't know what happened to him when composed it, it doesn't sound that inspired.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

atardecer

Thanks for the listening recommendations of Rota.

Found this spirited performance of the Piano Concerto in C major:

And then this recording of the composer himself playing some of his preludes live in Rome 1965:

Very nice music.
"In this metallic age of barbarians, only a relentless cultivation of our ability to dream, to analyze and to captivate can prevent our personality from degenerating into nothing or else into a personality like all the rest." - Fernando Pessoa