What period of classical music do you listen to most?

Started by LaciDeeLeBlanc, July 21, 2007, 01:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lethevich

Quote from: Tancata on July 22, 2007, 03:05:21 AM
Hehe...yes, agree. Although, personally I find it hard to pick out individual composers as favourites before 1500 or so. I know - Dufay - but there doesn't seem to be the kind of line-up there was later. Still lots of beautiful music, though.

Ditto - medieval (and even renaissance) music to me seems much more difficult to assess, quality-wise than later periods. Eg, I can find baroque or classical era music that I consider plain inferior to the work of contemporary composers, but with pre-baroque, the differences seem much more difficult to discern, and sometimes feels like I need a PhD in musicology to try to assess. So as a result I generally like any medieval or renaissance composer I hear, but do have enough firm favourite pieces to be able to say that I like Hildegard, Byrd, Machaut, Ockegem and Tallis (then later Monteverdi and Gesualdo), but then there are literaly dozens of others who are notable in various ways. An almost bewildering amount, in fact...

Josequin, Dufay, Binchois, Palestrina, Allegri, Dunstaple, Tavener, Leonin, Perotin, Praetorius, Victoria, Lassus, Alfonso X, Vasquez, Cornysh, Lobo, Gibbons, Escobar, OMG IT NEVER ENDS.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

beclemund

All over the place really, but mostly from the late Baroque (Bach, Biber, Handel, Telemann, etc.) up to contemporary (Aho, Corigliano, Pärt, Rautavaara, etc.)... More of my collection is weighted on the far ends of that spectrum and not quite so much in the middle (with the exception of Bruckner).
"A guilty conscience needs to confess. A work of art is a confession." -- Albert Camus

Scriptavolant

Quote from: Lethe on July 23, 2007, 10:39:14 AM
Eg, I can find baroque or classical era music that I consider plain inferior to the work of contemporary composers [...]

In which sense you consider certain baroque music to be plain inferior to certain contemporary music? I mean how you rate them?

looja

I listen to Romantic era music the most. But I also listen bits and pieces from other  eras.

Lethevich

Quote from: Scriptavolant on July 23, 2007, 01:09:13 PM
In which sense you consider certain baroque music to be plain inferior to certain contemporary music? I mean how you rate them?

I mean other baroque composers contemporary to the bad baroque ones, sorry. (eg Bach vs. Telemann)
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.