Your Top 10 Favorite Composers

Started by Mirror Image, March 08, 2014, 06:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Christo on February 04, 2020, 11:18:25 PM
I think I gave my Eternal List once or twice already and considering my age I guess it won't change that much anymore, except for one or two names still entering my repertoire. That said, I realized that in reality we often listen to completely other lists, more actual, less eternal. Since December the composers I played most often include mostly names never found on it, yet 'the right music' to listen to now:

Pēteris Vasks
Hendrik Andriessen
Eugene Goossens
Ēriks Ešenvalds
Olav Kielland
Ola Gjeilo
Joseph Jongen
Johann Sebastian Bach
Joseph Reinberger

(And, as always, RVW, the 'eternally No. 1' on most of my lists and only one I cannot live without  8))

I thought Rheinberger was too conservative for your taste. Not bad.  ;)
And glad to see Kielland on your actual list. The Sinfonia I is a great score.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

San Antone

I think I have finally cracked this test, i.e. coming up with my favorite 10 composers.  My choices are often based on a single work, which I dearly love, but there will always be other works by these composers which speak to me in a major way. 

J.S. Bach - WTC, GV, Cello  Suite, Solo violin sonatas & partitas
Johannes Brahms - the late chamber works, the clarinet works especially
Igor Stravinsky - Symphony of Psalms, Symphonies of Wind Instruments, Violin Concerto, L'Histoire du soldat
Claude Debussy - Pelleas et Melisande, solo piano music
Leonard Bernstein - Mass, West Side Story, Age of Anxiety
George Gershwin - Porgy & Bess, Rhapsody in Blue, Concerto in F
Maurice Durufle - Requiem, Quatre Motets sur des thèmes grégoriens 
Maurice Ravel - Concerto in G, solo piano music
Osvadlo Golijov - The Dreams and Prayers of Isaac the Blind, La Pasión según San Marcos, Ainadamar
Kurt Weill - Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny, Three Penny Opera

One aspect more than any other which catapults a composer into my highest tier is the tendency to cross stylistic borders. Gershwin, Bernstein, Golijov, Weill, and to a lesser extent, Ravel and Stravinsky, all exhibit this trait. 

vers la flamme

Quote from: San Antone on March 23, 2020, 08:11:40 PM
I think I have finally cracked this test, i.e. coming up with my favorite 10 composers.  My choices are often based on a single work, which I dearly love, but there will always be other works by these composers which speak to me in a major way. 

J.S. Bach - WTC, GV, Cello  Suite, Solo violin sonatas & partitas
Johannes Brahms - the late chamber works, the clarinet works especially
Igor Stravinsky - Symphony of Psalms, Symphonies of Wind Instruments, Violin Concerto, L'Histoire du soldat
Claude Debussy - Pelleas et Melisande, solo piano music
Leonard Bernstein - Mass, West Side Story, Age of Anxiety
George Gershwin - Porgy & Bess, Rhapsody in Blue, Concerto in F
Maurice Durufle - Requiem, Quatre Motets sur des thèmes grégoriens 
Maurice Ravel - Concerto in G, solo piano music
Osvadlo Golijov - The Dreams and Prayers of Isaac the Blind, La Pasión según San Marcos, Ainadamar
Kurt Weill - Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny, Three Penny Opera

One aspect more than any other which catapults a composer into my highest tier is the tendency to cross stylistic borders. Gershwin, Bernstein, Golijov, Weill, and to a lesser extent, Ravel and Stravinsky, all exhibit this trait.

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen Golijov or Duruflé in anyone's top 10. It's a good list, though. The Atlanta Symphony has recorded some of Golijov's music. I have Ainadamar on a DG CD. I listened once and did not enjoy it, so I put it away. I'll have to bust it out one of these days. I'm not really an opera guy, but what the hey. I have been meaning to explore more living composers' music. Is there a specific trait or group of traits in his music that especially draws you in?

As for Duruflé, I definitely should get the Requiem. Do you have a favorite recording? I understand there are like three or four different versions of it, a full orchestral version, a version with just organ, cello and choir, etc etc...

San Antone

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 24, 2020, 12:21:59 PM
Wow, I don't think I've ever seen Golijov or Duruflé in anyone's top 10. It's a good list, though. The Atlanta Symphony has recorded some of Golijov's music. I have Ainadamar on a DG CD. I listened once and did not enjoy it, so I put it away. I'll have to bust it out one of these days. I'm not really an opera guy, but what the hey. I have been meaning to explore more living composers' music. Is there a specific trait or group of traits in his music that especially draws you in?

As for Duruflé, I definitely should get the Requiem. Do you have a favorite recording? I understand there are like three or four different versions of it, a full orchestral version, a version with just organ, cello and choir, etc etc...

Regarding Golijov, I like his mixing of genres (as I do with several other composers). E.G. in Ainadamar he incorporates Arab and Jewish idioms, as well as Spanish flamenco sounds.  I am drawn to composers who combine so-called  "low" art with "high" art, like Gershwin, Bernstein and Golijov. 

There are three versions of the Durufle Requiem:

The original was written for full orchestra, choir and organ and that version is well represented with Durufle conducting, but Robert Shaw's recording is also very good and has more recent sound. 

He then made a complete revision for choir, organ and cello.  The recording led by Sir Phillip Ledger and featuring Janet Baker is my favorite (although there are several other very good recordings). 

The last version he did was for a chamber orchestra and the Matthew Best version is often cited as very good.

I started a thread on the work where I list short reviews of many other recordings.  It is my favorite choral work and I have tried to hear all of the recordings.  It is often coupled with the Faure Requiem, but I prefer recordings that fill out the disc with other works by Durufle, e.g. the Four Motets or the Messe Cum jubilo.

This set of all the choral works is excellent, containing another of my favorite performances of the Requiem with Clare Wilkinson singing the "Pie Jesu":

vers la flamme

Quote from: San Antone on March 24, 2020, 01:02:49 PM
Regarding Golijov, I like his mixing of genres (as I do with several other composers). E.G. in Ainadamar he incorporates Arab and Jewish idioms, as well as Spanish flamenco sounds.  I am drawn to composers who combine so-called  "low" art with "high" art, like Gershwin, Bernstein and Golijov. 

There are three versions of the Durufle Requiem:

The original was written for full orchestra, choir and organ and that version is well represented with Durufle conducting, but Robert Shaw's recording is also very good and has more recent sound. 

He then made a complete revision for choir, organ and cello.  The recording led by Sir Phillip Ledger and featuring Janet Baker is my favorite (although there are several other very good recordings). 

The last version he did was for a chamber orchestra and the Matthew Best version is often cited as very good.

I started a thread on the work where I list short reviews of many other recordings.  It is my favorite choral work and I have tried to hear all of the recordings.  It is often coupled with the Faure Requiem, but I prefer recordings that fill out the disc with other works by Durufle, e.g. the Four Motets or the Messe Cum jubilo.

This set of all the choral works is excellent, containing another of my favorite performances of the Requiem with Clare Wilkinson singing the "Pie Jesu":

Nice. And which version is represented on that Richard Marlow disc?

I have a Naxos disc with the Messe Cum Jubilo and other works. I like it a lot but I have to be in the mood.

I think I ought to check out the Shaw/Atlanta disc with the Duruflé and Fauré requiems. I don't actually have the full orchestral Fauré, just the chamber orchestra version, with John Rutter et al.

San Antone

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 25, 2020, 10:21:21 AM
Nice. And which version is represented on that Richard Marlow disc?

It is the organ/cello version, which is the one I prefer.  The choir and singing of soloists is excellent for all the works.

Mirror Image

Time for an update:

Tier 1 - Debussy, Ravel, Bartók

Tier 2 - Sibelius, Shostakovich, Dvořák, Martinů

Tier 3 - Vaughan Williams, Prokofiev, Villa-Lobos

FelixSkodi

I don't know if I can do 10, but here's 5 (alphabetical order).

Liza Lim
Gustav Mahler
Oliver Messiaen
Domenico Scarlatti 
Franz Schubert

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Philoctetes on May 12, 2020, 05:23:03 PM

Liza Lim
Gustav Mahler
Oliver Messiaen
Domenico Scarlatti 
Franz Schubert

No Beethoven?
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 12, 2020, 05:01:59 PM
Time for an update:

Tier 1 - Debussy, Ravel, Bartók

Tier 2 - Sibelius, Shostakovich, Dvořák, Martinů

Tier 3 - Vaughan Williams, Prokofiev, Villa-Lobos

There are at least 7 composers there who would make my top 10 list (curiously the last 7).  :P

Noam Chomsky

FelixSkodi

Quote from: Philoctetes on May 12, 2020, 05:23:03 PM

Liza Lim
Gustav Mahler
Oliver Messiaen
Domenico Scarlatti 
Franz Schubert

Not in my top 5; I am not a huge fan of the Classical era of music.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 13, 2020, 02:08:29 PM
There are at least 7 composers there who would make my top 10 list (curiously the last 7).  :P

8) Yeah, I figured we'd have a few in common. ;) Interestingly enough, this looks similar to a list I made a few years ago. I initially had Nielsen on the list, but Villa-Lobos knocked him off as I realized I've championed this composer's music since I've been on GMG (and elsewhere).

springrite

IF I use works that remain on my portable device as measure of my favorite composers (and I have roughly 500 CDs worth of music on it), then my favorite composers are:

JS Bach
Ludwig van Beethoven
Johannes Brahms
Gustav Mahler
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
Morton Feldman
Edmond Rubbra
George Perle (!)
Franz Schubert
Havergal Brian
Robert Schumann
Igor Stravinsky
Moishei Veinberg
Anton Bruckner
Eliot Carter
Richard Wagner
Sergei Prokofiev
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

steve ridgway

Since I found a load of Xenakis on archive.org he's knocked Boulez off the list 8).

Harrison Birtwistle
George Crumb
Gyorgy Ligeti
Luigi Nono
Krzysztof Penderecki
Giacinto Scelsi
Alfred Schnittke
Toru Takemitsu
Edgard Varese
Iannis Xenakis

Pohjolas Daughter

Hmmm...top *10 *(Yikes!)

In no particular order:

Sibelius
Janacek
Mozart
Dvorak
Chopin
Bach
Beethoven
Debussy
Ravel
Bartok

Note:  there would be a different list for operatic composers...I was thinking of non-operatic works here.
Pohjolas Daughter

j winter

Quote from: jwinter on July 01, 2019, 12:54:20 PM
My top 10 is pretty conventional, I'm afraid:

Beethoven
Bach
Haydn
Mozart
Brahms
Chopin
Mahler
Vivaldi
Bruckner
Schubert

The following 10 are a bit more diverse, but still not all that adventurous...

Rachmaninov
Dvorak
Purcell
Wagner
Debussy
Schumann
Prokofiev
Sibelius
Shostakovich
Tchaikovsky

I've attempted to list them in order, but that'll shift around by the time dinner gets cold, particularly #s 11-20.

The top 10 popped out of my head almost immediately; the rest, and the sorting, took a bit of thought.  I'm sure I've left somebody out.   I also like and listen to more modern music, but I just haven't heard enough of it for it to displace any of the classics, if I'm being honest.

I'm sorely tempted to add in John Williams and John Barry if we're considering film music (Alexander Nevsky scores quite a few points for Prokofiev IMO...).   I've certainly spent happy hours listening to their music over the years.

My list is pretty stable and unchanging at this point.  If I were to make a change, if I'm judging by listening time I would promote Prokofiev to my top 10, and probably demote Mahler to his spot.  I've listened to a lot of Mahler over the years, and have a gazillion recordings, but lately he just hasn't spoken to me -- I think I'm just a bit burned out on him, and need a long break.  Over-familiarity and all that....

The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: j winter on July 30, 2020, 12:38:36 PM
My list is pretty stable and unchanging at this point.  If I were to make a change, if I'm judging by listening time I would promote Prokofiev to my top 10, and probably demote Mahler to his spot.  I've listened to a lot of Mahler over the years, and have a gazillion recordings, but lately he just hasn't spoken to me -- I think I'm just a bit burned out on him, and need a long break.  Over-familiarity and all that....
I know!  Ten is too short of a list for me too. lol  I was tempted to add Kodaly and Martinu to my list...Tchaikovsky could easily go on there too.  I like a variety, what can I say?   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 30, 2020, 12:55:33 PM
I know!  Ten is too short of a list for me too. lol  I was tempted to add Kodaly and Martinu to my list...Tchaikovsky could easily go on there too.  I like a variety, what can I say?   :)

PD

You could create a list for 11-25 composers on this thread if you want:

https://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,27766.0.html

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

My lists don't change that much over the time, but here goes again:

Arnold
Beethoven
Brahms
Dvorak
Martinu
Nielsen
Saint-Saëns
Shostakovich
Sibelius
Strauss

That makes:

1 English
3 German
2 Czech
1 Danish
1 French
1 Russian
1 Finnish

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Currently:

Dvorak
Atterberg
Sibelius
Rachmaninoff
Prokofiev
Brahms
Nielsen
Vaughan Williams
Poulenc
Finzi

(3 Nordic, 2 British, 2 Russian, 1 Eastern European, 1 French, 1 German)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff