Your Top 10 Favorite Composers

Started by Mirror Image, March 08, 2014, 06:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxandpeng

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 16, 2023, 01:48:27 AMDanny / @foxandpeng ,

What would be the recommended entry works for the 4 in bold above ? I think I streamed some Vasks ages ago but definitely nothing of the other three. Thank you very much.

Hi there 😊

Very much a subjective choice for each of these. There are so many great works, but I think these give a representative idea?

Tabakov - Symphonies 7 or 2
Vasks - Distant Light VC or perhaps his Oboe Concerto
Hovhaness - Exile Symphony or Mount St Helen's Symphony (1 and 50)
Rautavaara - Symphonies 6 or 7, or maybe his Cantus Arcticus or his Manhattan Trilogy

Happy hunting, my friend!
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Papy Oli

Quote from: foxandpeng on March 16, 2023, 02:08:17 AMHi there 😊

Very much a subjective choice for each of these. There are so many great works, but I think these give a representative idea?

Tabakov - Symphonies 7 or 2
Vasks - Distant Light VC or perhaps his Oboe Concerto
Hovhaness - Exile Symphony or Mount St Helen's Symphony (1 and 50)
Rautavaara - Symphonies 6 or 7, or maybe his Cantus Arcticus or his Manhattan Trilogy

Happy hunting, my friend!

Great, thank you!  8)
Olivier

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Papy Oli

Olivier

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: ultralinear on March 16, 2023, 05:02:18 AM+1 for Rautavaara's 7th Symphony, which I heard performed live a couple of weeks ago along with another violin piece by Vasks, Lonely Angel.  Coincidentally the whole concert is being broadcast tonight.
Sounds like an interesting concert!  I'll try and catch it (though it's in the afternoon for me here).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: ultralinear on March 16, 2023, 05:22:52 AMYes. :)  The BBC Concert Orchestra does these kind of programs once or twice a year, often with a pronounced Scandinavian flavour.  Or has done up until now.  Unfortunately this is one of the ensembles which the BBC is planning to cut. :( >:( 
Who all is in the BBC Concert Orchestra?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Papy Oli on March 16, 2023, 01:48:27 AMDanny / @foxandpeng ,

What would be the recommended entry works for the 4 in bold above ? I think I streamed some Vasks ages ago but definitely nothing of the other three. Thank you very much.
You didn't ask me, Oli, but here are two recs for the Massachusetts native.

The first, more "mainstream," and one of the first of his scores I loved:

The second, more nearly "avant-garde":

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Papy Oli

Quote from: Karl Henning on March 16, 2023, 09:25:34 AMYou didn't ask me, Oli, but here are two recs for the Massachusetts native.

Thank you very much Karl!
Olivier

DaveF

This is an interesting poll less, I suspect, for what others think of your choices (although if it brought together two unsuspecting fans of Johann Gambolputty it would all be worthwhile) than for the opportunity to concentrate the mind, sort out your priorities, decide who matters and who doesn't etc.  So, after much soul-searching (and checking of others' (very interesting) lists to make sure I hadn't missed anyone obvious):

Immovably in 1st and 2nd places:

Byrd
Haydn

and a somewhat more moveable remaining 8:

Britten
Nielsen
Josquin
Stravinsky
Monteverdi
Debussy
Beethoven
Bruckner
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

joachim

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 11, 2023, 05:31:41 PMExcellent list!

Another excellent list. Your rating of Michael Haydn so highly makes me curious to hear more of his music. What are some of your favorite works of his?

I think it is in his religious music that he is most prodigious. Joseph haydn said himself that his brother Michael surpassed him in his religious music. More over, this represents about two thirds of the M.H catalogue.
He composed 33 masses, of which I listened to about half, and a Requiem, which certainly inspired Mozart for his (a second Requiem remained unfinished like Mozart's). There are also several German masses and a number of motets, offerings, graduals, etc.

His symphonies (43) are also interesting, as are his great serenades for orchestra. Concertos for various instruments are well known. And his chamber music includes very pretty string quintets.

Here, for example, is his Requiem in C minor, in "live":

And In instrumental music, his beautiful string quintet in C major, with his splendid notturno (at 5'15) :

LKB

I've probably listed ten favorites here at some point, but as l can't remember when l last did so here's an update, in no particular order:

Bruckner
JS Bach
Beethoven
Mahler
Shostakovich
Vaughan Williams
Haydn
Schubert
Tchaikovsky
Brahms

And now the " bench ", e.g. composers who at times will temporarily replace some of those listed:

Prokofiev
Schumann
Josquin Des Prez
Delius
Rachmaninoff

Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

eljr

Glass
Bach
Vivaldi
Mozart
Richter, M
Gershwin, G
Handel
Jenkins, K
Beethoven
MacMillan
"You practice and you get better. It's very simple."
Philip Glass

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!