Your Top 10 Favorite Composers

Started by Mirror Image, March 08, 2014, 06:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel

I popped in here just to see whether Sibelius had been on my list, given I'm going through an obsessive phase.

Indeed, he was there at the end of January. I'd completely forgotten the accusations that resulted about him having displaced Bach (though in truth he displaced Rachmaninov instead).  :D

I don't think I'm ready to try a complete revised list. Give me a couple of years...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Brian

Quote from: Brian on November 15, 2016, 05:58:11 AM
1. Beethoven
2. Dvorak
3. Schubert
4. Haydn
5. Ravel
6. Janacek
7. Berlioz
8. Chopin
9. Brahms
10. Martinu

My list turns over a whole lot less than MI's does!

Rachmaninov, Tchaikovsky, Bruckner, Mahler, and Sibelius are among some of the big names lurking in 11-20.
Still no change in 2 years. Tchaikovsky and Scarlatti might be challenging Martinu for #10. Poulenc, Roussel, and Debussy are in the 11-20 range now.

schnittkease

Quote from: Madiel on September 29, 2018, 06:06:55 AM
Indeed, he was there at the end of January. I'd completely forgotten the accusations that resulted about him having displaced Bach (though in truth he displaced Rachmaninov instead).  :D

It was Schumann, then!  :laugh:

Madiel

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

MN Dave

Beethoven
Schubert
Chopin
Brahms
Bach
Purcell
Ravel
Rachmaninoff
Alkan
Prokofiev
(probably)
"The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the shadow, but music of the essence." — Arthur Schopenhauer

Karl Henning

Quote from: MN Dave on October 03, 2018, 05:42:09 AM
Beethoven
Schubert
Chopin
Brahms
Bach
Purcell
Ravel
Rachmaninoff
Alkan
Prokofiev
(probably)

Smokin' list.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

MN Dave

"The effect of music is so very much more powerful and penetrating than is that of the other arts, for these others speak only of the shadow, but music of the essence." — Arthur Schopenhauer

Elgarian Redux

I've never heard anything by (probably). Is he any good?

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

MN Dave

Dima

If someone is interesting - I like most of all these composers:

Anton Rubinstein
Ferdinand Reis
Delius
Kalman
Khachaturian
Robert Schumann

Mirror Image

I suppose a new is order:

My 'Top 3'

The Other 7 (in no particular order) -

Madiel

Use your words, please.

Not least because one of your pictures was just showing as a blank square the first time I loaded the page. But even if they all worked now, the risk of pictures going bung later is much higher than of your words becoming unreadable. And we won't all necessarily know who all the pictures are of. I'm confident of 6 of them.

North Star

Those are Debussy, Ravel, Bartók, Stravinsky, Enescu, Ives, Barber, Martinů, Takemitsu, and Villa-Lobos.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

Quote from: Madiel on April 03, 2019, 12:42:03 AM
Use your words, please.

Not least because one of your pictures was just showing as a blank square the first time I loaded the page. But even if they all worked now, the risk of pictures going bung later is much higher than of your words becoming unreadable. And we won't all necessarily know who all the pictures are of. I'm confident of 6 of them.

Quote from: North Star on April 03, 2019, 04:37:45 AM
Those are Debussy, Ravel, Bartók, Stravinsky, Enescu, Ives, Barber, Martinů, Takemitsu, and Villa-Lobos.

This. :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 02, 2019, 08:11:52 PM
I suppose a new is order:

My 'Top 3'

The Other 7 (in no particular order) -

I'm still rather content with this particular list. I will say that Lutosławski is slowly creeping his way up into the list, but will probably remain in the 'Top 20'. His music has really been awe-inspiring to me these past few days and I'm getting more and more familiar with his idiom more so than I have in the past where I thought I knew his music well enough. His musical language has come alive for me. He's definitely my second favorite Polish composer after Szymanowski.

jwinter

My top 10 is pretty conventional, I'm afraid:

Beethoven
Bach
Haydn
Mozart
Brahms
Chopin
Mahler
Vivaldi
Bruckner
Schubert

The following 10 are a bit more diverse, but still not all that adventurous...

Rachmaninov
Dvorak
Purcell
Wagner
Debussy
Schumann
Prokofiev
Sibelius
Shostakovich
Tchaikovsky

I've attempted to list them in order, but that'll shift around by the time dinner gets cold, particularly #s 11-20.

The top 10 popped out of my head almost immediately; the rest, and the sorting, took a bit of thought.  I'm sure I've left somebody out.   I also like and listen to more modern music, but I just haven't heard enough of it for it to displace any of the classics, if I'm being honest.

I'm sorely tempted to add in John Williams and John Barry if we're considering film music (Alexander Nevsky scores quite a few points for Prokofiev IMO...).   I've certainly spent happy hours listening to their music over the years.
The man that hath no music in himself,
Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,
Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils.
The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
And his affections dark as Erebus.
Let no such man be trusted.

-- William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Madiel

Quote from: jwinter on July 01, 2019, 12:54:20 PM
My top 10 is pretty conventional, I'm afraid:

Don't be afraid. There are reasons why these conventions exist.

Which is not to say there's anything wrong with having discovered some less well known composer and fallen head over heels for them. But neither is there anything wrong with discovering that you understand why some of the most famous names became famous.

Brian

Quote from: Brian on November 15, 2016, 05:58:11 AM
1. Beethoven
2. Dvorak
3. Schubert
4. Haydn
5. Ravel
6. Janacek
7. Berlioz
8. Chopin
9. Brahms
10. Martinu

My list turns over a whole lot less than MI's does!

Rachmaninov, Tchaikovsky, Bruckner, Mahler, and Sibelius are among some of the big names lurking in 11-20.
Quote from: Brian on January 22, 2018, 09:53:18 AM
no change! Scarlatti is now also in the 11-20 range.
Almost three years later, no change. Schubert may be inching towards #2 and Vivaldi lurks in 11-20, but that's about it.