Your Top 10 Favorite Composers

Started by Mirror Image, March 08, 2014, 06:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

Quote from: vandermolen on November 15, 2016, 05:45:42 AM
I'm interested in the admiration for Delius here. He is never a composer whose music I have 'got into'. Having said that I love 'In a Summer Garden' the Piano Concerto, in its various versions and the very moving ending of his underrated Requiem.

Hi, Jeffrey!  Find all about Delius (and I mean ALL) in this indispensible 88 minute BBC documentary:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uTVhBhPzPQA

Arranged very loosely in a chronological order (starting bafflingly with his second burial in 1935), it contains many fantastic musical excerpts (live, not from discs) and made-for-the-film interviews with conductors Andrew Davis, Mark Elder, Bo Holten, baritone Thomas Hamson, violinist Philippe Graffin, Delius biographer Jerome Rossi as well as period interviews with Beecham.

Truly one of the most probing and fascinating musical documentaries ever made.

And of course, the  provocative, extraordinarily well acted 1968 Ken Russell biopic is a must: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vyy2SagDwcY

But start with the BBC film. And then there is GMG's own Delius thread too !  :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: André on November 15, 2016, 09:22:05 AM
(starting bafflingly with his second burial in 1935)

Just so long as the first was not . . . premature.   0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Ghost Sonata

Quote from: vandermolen on November 15, 2016, 05:43:44 AM
Great choices although I know little Rameau.
Malipiero Symphony 7 is a fine one and Poulenc's Organ Concerto.

Thank you, Jeffrey. You remind me that I quite forgot Delius - i'm such a fickle listener,  :o esp. now with Malipiero being all the rage chez moi.  (might I recommend Delius' VC?  https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=R5ylRLJQI4c my favorite performance of it.) BTW, I love his Requiem, too.
I like Conor71's "I  like old Music" signature.

Ghost Sonata

Hi, Jeffrey!  Find all about Delius (and I mean ALL) in this indispensible 88 minute BBC documentary:

Arranged very loosely in a chronological order (starting bafflingly with his second burial in 1935), it contains many fantastic musical excerpts (live, not from discs) and made-for-the-film interviews with conductors Andrew Davis, Mark Elder, Bo Holten, baritone Thomas Hamson, violinist Philippe Graffin, Delius biographer Jerome Rossi as well as period interviews with Beecham.

And of course, the  provocative, extraordinarily well acted 1968 Ken Russell biopic is a must: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vyy2SagDwcY

But start with the BBC film. And then there is GMG's own Delius thread too !  :)
-Thanks for posting these, will watch tonight!-

Ghost Sonata

Delius fans and wanna-be's, esp. don't wanna be's - check out Tasmin Little's documentary https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=0RocX8MvqcE

André

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 15, 2016, 09:23:28 AM
Just so long as the first was not . . . premature.   0:)

Delius was disinterred from his burial place in France and his remains transported to England to be reburied on english soil after his wife's death in 1935. It was a very peculiar event, as it took place privately at night, with lanterns, not a word being spoken. Almost a Harry Potter novel type of thing.

Karl Henning

Quote from: André on November 15, 2016, 10:49:00 AM
Delius was disinterred from his burial place in France and his remains transported to England to be reburied on english soil after his wife's death in 1935. It was a very peculiar event, as it took place privately at night, with lanterns, not a word being spoken. Almost a Harry Potter novel type of thing.

Thanks.  I had envisioned a repatriation from Florida, but that is mostly because my sense of his biography is less than rudimentary.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Ghost Sonata

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 15, 2016, 10:52:00 AM
Thanks.  I had envisioned a repatriation from Florida, but that is mostly because my sense of his biography is less than rudimentary.

That's "Delius: the Early Years." His Dad bought him an orange grove in FL, but he proved more interested in music and Floridians (female) than in fruit farming...

Ken B

Quote from: Brian on November 15, 2016, 05:58:11 AM

My list turns over a whole lot less than MI's does!

Pfft. My tires turn over a whole lot less that MI's lists too.

André

I was going to write that Delius was an apatride, but then had second thoughts about the translability of the word. Apparently it does not exist in English. The web translator's "stateless" is quite tasteless IMHO. But I'm sure you get the meaning  :D.

Briefly: Delius was born in England of German émigrés. The Delius household's spoken language was German. The composer changed his name from "Fritz" (as per his official papers) to Frederick only when his father died in 1902. When he was a very young man he tried every way and place to escape the paternal influence: Florida and Virginia, Norway, Germany, France. He would return to England only when summoned, and stopped that when his father died. His music was much played in Germany until WWI. He loathed the german music system ("scales, arpeggios, Beethoven, Brahms, Bruckner: throw that away", he said to the young Eric Fenby. He lived the last 30 or so years of his life in France. It's only through the tireless advocacy of Thomas Beecham (and him alone) that his music came to be played and heard in England.

My hunch is that Delius is as un-English as could be for someone who happened to be born there. Apatride is a legal, technical term that does not apply here, as he was officially an English citizen. In French we also use it to describe someone whose roots cannot be determined with any surety, and who does not want a label pinned to him (or her).

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on November 15, 2016, 09:40:19 AM
I'm still deciding exactly what my list will be, I get pedantic about these sorts of things.

I know without a doubt what my consistent favourite/(most important to me) composers are but then it's trying to not miss out other important ones  :laugh:
I don't think there's any need to have these set in stone. I have about 50 composers who are absolute favourites before anyone else and even that list changes from time to time when I get really into something different.

vandermolen

Andre! Thank you very much. I may well have been over-influenced by VW's negative assessment of Delius ('like a Curate improvising'). VW didn't always get it right - he was quite negative, for example, about the later work of Frank Bridge, whom I consider to be a very great composer. I shall need to consider Delius afresh starting with the documentaries you suggest.   :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Ghost Sonata on November 15, 2016, 10:05:01 AM
Thank you, Jeffrey. You remind me that I quite forgot Delius - i'm such a fickle listener,  :o esp. now with Malipiero being all the rage chez moi.  (might I recommend Delius' VC?  https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=R5ylRLJQI4c my favorite performance of it.) BTW, I love his Requiem, too.
Thanks Ghost Sonata (sorry, don't know your real name). Delius's Piano Concerto, in its various manifestations, is a favourite of mine and although I rarely listen to Delius I find the very end of his Requiem incredibly moving.
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: André on November 15, 2016, 11:17:12 AM
I was going to write that Delius was an apatride, but then had second thoughts about the translability of the word. Apparently it does not exist in English. The web translator's "stateless" is quite tasteless IMHO. But I'm sure you get the meaning  :D.

Briefly: Delius was born in England of German émigrés. The Delius household's spoken language was German. The composer changed his name from "Fritz" (as per his official papers) to Frederick only when his father died in 1902. When he was a very young man he tried every way and place to escape the paternal influence: Florida and Virginia, Norway, Germany, France. He would return to England only when summoned, and stopped that when his father died. His music was much played in Germany until WWI. He loathed the german music system ("scales, arpeggios, Beethoven, Brahms, Bruckner: throw that away", he said to the young Eric Fenby. He lived the last 30 or so years of his life in France. It's only through the tireless advocacy of Thomas Beecham (and him alone) that his music came to be played and heard in England.

My hunch is that Delius is as un-English as could be for someone who happened to be born there. Apatride is a legal, technical term that does not apply here, as he was officially an English citizen. In French we also use it to describe someone whose roots cannot be determined with any surety, and who does not want a label pinned to him (or her).
Your hunch is v interesting and I suspect v true.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

There's way too much Sorabji in your list! :D

EigenUser

Hmmmm...

1. Bela Bartok
2. Maurice Ravel
3. Gyorgy Ligeti
4. Olivier Messiaen
5. Joseph Haydn
6. Ludwig van Beethoven
7. Morton Feldman
8. Alexander Scriabin
9. George Gershwin
10. Claude Debussy
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Ken B

Quote from: EigenUser on November 15, 2016, 04:01:26 PM
Hmmmm...

1. Bela Bartok
2. Maurice Ravel
3. Gyorgy Ligeti
4. Olivier Messiaen
5. Joseph Haydn
6. Ludwig van Beethoven
7. Morton Feldman
8. Alexander Scriabin
9. George Gershwin
10. Claude Debussy
Sic transit gloria Ockeghem.

nathanb

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on November 15, 2016, 02:39:03 PM
Ones that won't change:

Xenakis (#1)
Bartok
Messiaen
Webern
Kagel

The rest I'm struggling with:
Mahler
Varese (I'm a Vareseian but I don't listen to him every week)
Ives
Scelsi
Kate Soper
Schoenberg
Stockhausen (one of the most incredible composers but I still haven't gotten familiar with a large chunk of his work)
Wagner
Brahms
Stravinsky (he introduced me initially to classical but he doesn't generally interest me)
Ligeti
JS Bach
Palestrina
Perotin
Schnittke
Korndorf
Scriabin
Sorabji
Boulez
Liszt
Nancarrow
Zappa
Zorn
Rautavaara
Maja Osojnik
Telemann
Faure
Haas
Grisey
(Lou) Harrison
Murail
Kurtág
Riley
Goldsmith

And I'm still forgetting stuff  :laugh:

I could certainly think of some substitutions I would make ;)

Sergeant Rock

Thank you for that link. It rekindled my interest in the composer.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 18, 2016, 11:18:34 AM
Thank you for that link. It rekindled my interest in the composer.

Sarge

I should watch this, it could illumine the composer for me.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA