Your Top 10 Favorite Composers

Started by Mirror Image, March 08, 2014, 06:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on January 17, 2017, 06:35:15 AM
+1
Bună ziua, Andrei. Our friends really, really could profit from seriously listening to Don Giovanni, fro instance...  :)

¡Hola!, don Rafael. Indeed, full of life as Don Giovanni, witty as Figaro, jocund as Papageno and tempting as Despina --- such is Mozart´s music.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Florestan on January 17, 2017, 06:24:53 AM
You guys are hopeless!  ;D

Mozart, dry and academic? Really? And which works of his display these traits, pray tell?

I think it is rare for Mozart to come across as dry to me. But pieces like his last symphonies, the string quartets, fugues are great examples of innovation. I guess because his music when compared with other composers of his time is as complex as it is, it could come across to some people as innovation for the sake of innovation. It sounds great, interesting, different and sometimes completely throws me from my expectations, but there is always some kind of underlying logic to his music which makedoesn't it flow well. That's why I say it is academic.....every time I go back to his music there is just layer upon layer of hidden delights, further examples of weird deviations from the norm, bending of 'rules' etc etc

Florestan

Quote from: jessop on January 17, 2017, 11:14:09 AM
I think it is rare for Mozart to come across as dry to me. But pieces like his last symphonies, the string quartets, fugues are great examples of innovation. I guess because his music when compared with other composers of his time is as complex as it is, it could come across to some people as innovation for the sake of innovation. It sounds great, interesting, different and sometimes completely throws me from my expectations, but there is always some kind of underlying logic to his music which makedoesn't it flow well. That's why I say it is academic.....every time I go back to his music there is just layer upon layer of hidden delights, further examples of weird deviations from the norm, bending of 'rules' etc etc

In other words, in your book "hidden delights" and "weird deviations from the norm" and "bending of rules" and "completely throws me from my expectations" ---they all equal "academic"...

First time I was joking, but now I say it loud and proud: You, Sir, are a hopeless case.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: Florestan on January 17, 2017, 12:03:46 PM
In other words, in your book "hidden delights" and "weird deviations from the norm" and "bending of rules" and "completely throws me from my expectations" ---they all equal "academic"...

First time I was joking, but now I say it loud and proud: You, Sir, are a hopeless case.
They equal 'academic' to me because finding this kind of enjoyment in the music alludes to the academic/analytical side of things. As you say, I am a hopeless case because there is no hope at trying to get me not to fall head over heels for his music. ;D

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 12, 2016, 02:58:15 PM
Beethoven I've really come around to and I absolutely love now. He really should be in my 'Top 10' nowadays. :)

Yay!!!
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Florestan

Quote from: jessop on January 17, 2017, 12:39:45 PM
They equal 'academic' to me because finding this kind of enjoyment in the music alludes to the academic/analytical side of things.

Maybe, but in the end it´s the effect of music on the listeners that counts, and this is anything but academic.  ;D

As you say, I am a hopeless case because there is no hope at trying to get me not to fall head over heels for his music. ;D

That´s what I mean!  :laugh:

James

Quote from: sanantonio on January 27, 2017, 08:31:43 AM
Here's my latest list in chronological order:

Anonymous. Plainchant from the 9th century, and before.
Anonymous, also Leonin/Perotin. Organa, sequentia and conductus from 10th - 12th century
Troubadours, trouvères.  Lyric poets or poet-musicians of France in the 12th - 13th centuries.
Machaut
Dufay

Some beauty to be found no doubt, but Zzzzz :P

Quote from: sanantonio on January 27, 2017, 08:31:43 AMBach .. Stravinsky

Enter vital, joyous, life-giving motor rhythms, and further elaboration thereof .. more like it! 8)

Quote from: sanantonio on January 27, 2017, 08:31:43 AMCage
Feldman

Then you head back into Z territory, naivety ..  and without the beauty. :(
Action is the only truth

ComposerOfAvantGarde

HMMM lets see who my recent favourites are

Boulez
Aperghis
Mozart
Liza Lim
Birtwistle
Helen Grime
Rihm
Rautavaara
Penderecki
Schumann

nathanb

Quote from: jessop on February 02, 2017, 07:23:34 PM
HMMM lets see who my recent favourites are

Boulez
Aperghis
Mozart
Liza Lim
Birtwistle
Helen Grime
Rihm
Rautavaara
Penderecki
Schumann

Ugh it's a good disc but why do people have such a hard on for Helen Grime???

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Quote from: nathanb on February 02, 2017, 07:34:21 PM
Ugh it's a good disc but why do people have such a hard on for Helen Grime???

Do you think her compositions are overrated? Perhaps they are......I listen to her music often, and I think the fact that there isn't a lot to listen to just yet means that I have become very very familiar with 9 of her compositions (counting the violin concerto which can be heard on youtube). Maybe is this familiarity that gives me a sense of comfort in knowing her style as well as excitement when there is a new work of hers available that I hadn't yet heard—like when I listened to her violin concerto for the first time. Perhaps it is also the case that I find her orchestration extremely compelling, and I can hear things in it that already remind me of other composers I have grown up enjoying very much. As is usual for me, my top 10 favourite composers predominantly features Boulez, Grime, Lim, Birtwistle and others depending on what my recent mood for music has been......and then gradually my interests may change over a longer period of time when I may hardly listen to any Grime and instead you could be complaining about me always going on about, idk, Chris Dench or Caerwen Martin or another composer who hasn't had a huge amount of recorded releases.

Mirror Image

Let's see...

Sibelius
Nielsen
Vaughan Williams
Ravel
Bartók
Mahler
Martinů
Elgar
Ives
Rachmaninov

arpeggio

In another forum someone asked a similar question and I responded with a list of fifth-seven composers.  One person complained that Haydn was missing from the list.  Schubert, Handel and Mendelssohn were also missing from the list yet I listen to these composers all of the time.  So far no one has complained that Carter, Webern and Schoenberg are on the list.

nodogen

I'm still a neophyte at this game, but even with my limited exposure I have now moved from struggling to come up with ten to struggling to reduce my list to ten.

Anyhoo, after some scribbling and teeth gnashing I've come up with (in no order, other than Scriabin plus nine)

Scriabin
Takemitsu
Ravel
Vaughan Williams
Kurtag
Ligeti
Murail
Scelsi
Szymanowski
Sorabji

schnittkease

7/5/2017

Schnittke
Schmitt
Toch
Bentzon
Krenek
Nordheim
Tveitt
Myaskovsky
Jongen
Fibich

nodogen

Quote from: schnittkease on July 05, 2017, 12:23:57 PM
7/5/2017

Schnittke
Schmitt
Toch
Bentzon
Krenek
Nordheim
Tveitt
Myaskovsky
Jongen
Fibich

Good grief me, I've only heard of two of these 😳

Turner

Quote from: schnittkease on July 05, 2017, 12:23:57 PM
7/5/2017

Schnittke
Schmitt
Toch
Bentzon
Krenek
Nordheim
Tveitt
Myaskovsky
Jongen
Fibich

Niels Viggo B is an unusual choice. Any particular, favourite works?

schnittkease

Quote from: nodogen on July 05, 2017, 12:30:51 PM
Good grief me, I've only heard of two of these

First off, this is today's list, influenced by the past week's listening. Tomorrow may very well be a different story (although Schnittke, Schmitt, and Toch are constants). Which are the two that you have heard of? I can give you some recommendations for the other eight if you want to start exploring. :) 

Quote from: Turner on July 05, 2017, 12:43:53 PM
Niels Viggo B is an unusual choice. Any particular, favourite works?

Bentzon's (The) Tempered Piano arrived a few days ago; I've been binge-listening to the 15-hour journey. Past favorites include piano sonatas nos. 3 & 5, which have apparently become staples of Danish piano literature (and it's not hard to see why, if the astringent tonality doesn't throw most listeners). Symphonies nos. 3 and 4 "Metamorphosen" are again classics - I return to them every once in a while. The violin and cello concertos are fine. Niels Viggo Bentzon has shown mastery in all the genres that shape his diverse oeuvre (including IMO one of the 20th century's most important piano works + 12 SQs yet to be recorded), making him one of my go-to composers.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Let's work out an arbitrary list of 10 composers I enjoy very much at the moment

Boulez
Stockhausen
Mozart
Liza Lim
Reimann
Janacek
Henze
Neuwirth
Berio
Schreker

Turner

Quote from: schnittkease on July 05, 2017, 05:45:18 PM
Bentzon's (The) Tempered Piano arrived a few days ago; I've been binge-listening to the 15-hour journey. Past favorites include piano sonatas nos. 3 & 5, which have apparently become staples of Danish piano literature (and it's not hard to see why, if the astringent tonality doesn't throw most listeners). Symphonies nos. 3 and 4 "Metamorphosen" are again classics - I return to them every once in a while. The violin and cello concertos are fine. Niels Viggo Bentzon has shown mastery in all the genres that shape his diverse oeuvre (including IMO one of the 20th century's most important piano works + 12 SQs yet to be recorded), making him one of my go-to composers.

I like the relatively early piano works in particular, as you say it´s a pity he hasn´t yet been that much explored by the DaCapo label, or other ones. There´s a real lot missing in the discography, as illustrated by the WiKi list
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_compositions_by_Niels_Viggo_Bentzon,
and not much literature about him (he was a painter too, and worked with several artistic genres):
at least 16 string quartets, 31 piano sonatas, 24 symphonies, many concertos etc.

The lack of recordings and performances also makes it difficult to establish key works in this huge oeuvre consisting of at least 664 opuses. A good deal of the later works seem rather sketchy, but on the other hand, thorough Brahms was one of his favourites.

And then of course there´s "The Flight of the Meat Ball across the Fence"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kXW0WGBfrc
played here during a long television programme portraiting Ole Schmidt.

Alek Hidell

J.S. Bach
Mahler
Sibelius
Beethoven
Shostakovich
Feldman
Martinů
Haydn
Vaughan Williams
Bruckner

... I think. There's still so much I have yet to even listen to - including some pretty marquee works like Beethoven's late quartets (or Haydn's Paris and London symphonies!). Other composers who threaten to crack this very tentative list include Brahms, Messiaen, Debussy, Nielsen, Boulez - and I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting. (In the case of most of these, it's because I've liked what I've heard but have only scratched the surface of their works.)

And, boy, that list is sure tilted heavily toward the 20th century, isn't it? I really need to identify more faves in earlier periods ...
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara