The remaining 7:

Beethoven
Martinu
Strauss
Arnold
Lutoslawski
Janacek
Mozart

It's the first time I didn't include either Tchaikovsky, Dvorak, Sibelius or VW!  :o

Madiel

Quote from: Madiel on January 27, 2018, 03:45:41 AM
I think this is the only previous attempt I've made. Today I came up with:

Haydn
Beethoven
Chopin
Schumann
Brahms
Dvorak
Faure
Sibelius
Ravel
Holmboe

I think Shostakovich wants in.

The problem is I don't know who he could kick out...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Verena

Schubert
Bach
Handel
Beethoven
Monteverdi
Purcell
Victoria
Chopin
Vivaldi
Brahms
Don't think, but look! (PI66)

Christo

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 29, 2018, 07:28:16 AM
Well, there's several composers that were on my list for many years that have vanished: Sibelius, Nielsen, and Vaughan Williams to give three examples.
Who 'vanished' after all?  ???
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Madiel

Quote from: Christo on October 09, 2019, 11:19:20 PM
Who 'vanished' after all?  ???

Leaving with a melodramatic flourish is not vanishing.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

SymphonicAddict

Moonfish

Not too much has changed since last time I pondered this particular question, but there is definitely more in my mind's eye. It's evil to be forced to pick 10. We did a list of 21 at one point in time!   >:D

JS Bach
Elgar
Mozart
Verdi
Wagner
Sibelius
Weiss
Marais
Bruckner
Beethoven
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

vandermolen

Quote from: springrite on January 20, 2015, 08:46:14 AM
New and revised:

1  Bach
2  Mahler
3  Beethoven
4  Brian
5  Haydn
6  Brahms
7  Feldman
8  Schubert
9  Berg
10 Rubbra

Nice to see Rubbra mentioned. I'm tempted to include him as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 02, 2019, 08:11:52 PM
I suppose a new is order:

My 'Top 3'

The Other 7 (in no particular order) -

I'm still content with this list. Perfectly suits my tastes and really presents the composers with whom I've spent the most amount of time with because I have been moved by so much of their work.

kyjo

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on October 07, 2019, 05:41:25 PM
Lately have been these:

My absolute top 3:

Nielsen
Brahms
Shostakovich

The remaining 7:

Beethoven
Martinu
Strauss
Arnold
Lutoslawski
Janacek
Mozart

It's the first time I didn't include either Tchaikovsky, Dvorak, Sibelius or VW!  :o

I never thought I'd see Mozart on your list! :o :D
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Currently...

Top 3:

Braga Santos
Dvořák
Sibelius

Remaining 7:

Atterberg
Barber
Damase
Lloyd
Nielsen
Prokofiev
Rachmaninoff
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: kyjo on October 17, 2019, 07:47:45 PM
Currently...

Top 3:

Braga Santos
Dvořák
Sibelius

Remaining 7:

Atterberg
Barber
Damase
Lloyd
Nielsen
Prokofiev
Rachmaninoff

Quite surprised to see Atterberg not in the 'Top 3'. Very delighted to see Barber on your list. Have you seen the documentary on his music and life, Absolute Beauty? It's definitely worth a viewing. Quite informative.

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: kyjo on October 17, 2019, 07:42:07 PM
I never thought I'd see Mozart on your list! :o :D

Some important rediscoveries were the cause of it, albeit these lists change constantly over the time.  :)

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on October 17, 2019, 07:47:45 PM
Currently...

Top 3:

Braga Santos
Dvořák
Sibelius

Remaining 7:

Atterberg
Barber
Damase
Lloyd
Nielsen
Prokofiev
Rachmaninoff

Great to see Damase making an appearance here!  :)

Let's see - today's list:

Vaughan Williams
Miaskovsky
Shostakovich
Sibelius

Bruckner
Bax
Copland
Moeran
Tubin
Malcolm Arnold
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 17, 2019, 07:56:15 PM
Quite surprised to see Atterberg not in the 'Top 3'. Very delighted to see Barber on your list. Have you seen the documentary on his music and life, Absolute Beauty? It's definitely worth a viewing. Quite informative.

Well, if I were to listen to an Atterberg piece right now, I'd probably change my mind and move him up! :D Since there's so many composers I love, a lot of it just has to do with whose music I've spent the most time with recently. And no, I haven't seen that Barber documentary. I'll definitely have to check it out!

Florestan

Quote from: Florestan on June 16, 2018, 07:30:27 AM
My list hasn't changed but I'll arrange it differently (by geography, not by order of preference, mind you!):

1. The Viennese Connection: Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Brahms
2. The German Connection: Mendelssohn, Schumann
3. The Russian Connection: Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff
4. The Odd Man Out: Chopin

:D

I'm still happy with this list.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Christo

Another 'blind' attempt, but I wonder if there are any differences with previous ones. Out of the top of my head:

1. Ralph Vaughan Williams
2. Vagn Holmboe
3. Eduard Tubin
4. Joly Braga Santos
5. Manuel de Falla
6. Samuel Barber
7. Ottorino Respighi
8. Malcolm Arnold
9. Leoš Janáček
10. Hendrik Andriessen

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

mc ukrneal

Quote from: San Antone on December 09, 2019, 04:57:07 AM
Machaut
Dufay
Ockeghem
Bach
Haydn
Mozart
Beethoven
Liszt
Schumann
Brahms

Biggest change is the disappearance of 20th - 21st century composers.  I hardly listen to music beyond these ten composers, or that of their periods, anymore.  I would have included Gregorian chant and troubadour/trouvere music, but "anonymous" seemed a waste of two slots when I had a solid ten.
I don't think I have any machaut. Maybe as a filler somewhere - will have to check. Is there a good introductory disc to his music that you would recommend?
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

San Antone

Quote from: mc ukrneal on December 09, 2019, 05:02:15 AM
I don't think I have any machaut. Maybe as a filler somewhere - will have to check. Is there a good introductory disc to his music that you would recommend?

It depends if you want to begin with his magnum opus, the Messe de Nostre Dame, or his songs.  I'd suggest the Andrew Parrott recording of the messe and any of the Orlando Consort recordings of his songs. 

This is the best almost complete compilation:

mc ukrneal

Quote from: San Antone on December 09, 2019, 05:05:59 AM
It depends if you want to begin with his magnum opus, the Messe de Nostre Dame, or his songs.  I'd suggest the Andrew Parrott recording of the messe and any of the Orlando Consort recordings of his songs. 

This is the best almost complete compilation:

Thanks! Will do some research over the winter break! :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!