Your Top 10 Favorite Composers

Started by Mirror Image, March 08, 2014, 06:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

My list is still the same and I can't think of it being changed any time soon.

The Austrian Connection: Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Brahms (5, but only 2 echt-Oesterreichisch and only 1 echt-Wiener)
The German Connection: Schumann, Mendelssohn (2)
The Russian Connection: Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff (2)
The Odd Man Out: Chopin (1)

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Christo

Possibly:

Arnold
Barber
Braga Santos
Falla
Holmboe
Kodály
Nielsen
Respighi
Tubin
Vaughan Williams
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Old San Antone

Top 10
Bach
Brahms
Stravinsky
Debussy
Liszt   
Durufle
Schumann   
Machaut
Beethoven
Ravel   

Next 15
Poulenc
Palestrina
Schoeck
Weinberg
Feldman
Carter
Bernstein
Satie
Fauré
Webern
Golijov
Wellesz
Dufay
Ockeghem
Meyer, K.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Christo on July 31, 2020, 09:52:23 AM
Possibly:

Arnold
Barber
Braga Santos
Falla
Holmboe
Kodály
Nielsen
Respighi
Tubin
Vaughan Williams
Another Kodaly lover!  ;D

Quote from: Old San Antone on July 31, 2020, 11:29:01 AM
I like your way of thinking San Antone (= Top 10 followed by next 15)!  ;D

PD
Top 10
Bach
Brahms
Stravinsky
Debussy
Liszt   
Durufle
Schumann   
Machaut
Beethoven
Ravel   

Next 15
Poulenc
Palestrina
Schoeck
Weinberg
Feldman
Carter
Bernstein
Satie
Fauré
Webern
Golijov
Wellesz
Dufay
Ockeghem
Meyer, K.

Pohjolas Daughter

Old San Antone

Yeah, there were just too many composers I like almost as much as the top ten, who I wanted to mention.

8)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Old San Antone on July 31, 2020, 12:37:01 PM
Yeah, there were just too many composers I like almost as much as the top ten, who I wanted to mention.

8)
I suspect that most of us here like a fairly wide range of composers (or at least a number of ones in a certain time period(s)).  Personally, I have favorite compositions, favorite composers...probably more limited in my time/era range, but do try and expand that from time to time to be honest...or maybe I should say revisit those categories/composers.

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: kyjo on July 31, 2020, 08:51:21 AM
Currently:

Dvorak
Atterberg
Sibelius
Rachmaninoff
Prokofiev
Brahms
Nielsen
Vaughan Williams
Poulenc
Finzi

(3 Nordic, 2 British, 2 Russian, 1 Eastern European, 1 French, 1 German)

No Braga Santos this time?  ;)
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 30, 2020, 12:55:33 PM
I know!  Ten is too short of a list for me too. lol  I was tempted to add Kodaly and Martinu to my list...Tchaikovsky could easily go on there too.  I like a variety, what can I say?   :)

PD

Variety is indeed the wealth of the literature. A Top 10 is a delicious impossibility.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on July 31, 2020, 09:09:58 AM
My list is still the same and I can't think of it being changed any time soon.

The Austrian Connection: Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Brahms (5, but only 2 echt-Oesterreichisch and only 1 echt-Wiener)
The German Connection: Schumann, Mendelssohn (2)
The Russian Connection: Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff (2)
The Odd Man Out: Chopin (1)

You turn Germans into Austrians just because they moved there? Unfair.

Of course, for most of them 'Germany' did not exist. They were all Germans. Some of whom were also Austrian.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 31, 2020, 05:24:13 PM
No Braga Santos this time?  ;)

;) I was debating between him, Finzi, and Lloyd for 10th place. I went with Finzi to switch things up a little bit. 8)
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: kyjo on August 01, 2020, 08:48:52 AM
;) I was debating between him, Finzi, and Lloyd for 10th place. I went with Finzi to switch things up a little bit. 8)
Are you a fan of his cello concerto?  It's a favorite of mine.   :)
Pohjolas Daughter

steve ridgway

Quote from: Madiel on July 31, 2020, 11:51:46 PM
You turn Germans into Austrians just because they moved there? Unfair.

Of course, for most of them 'Germany' did not exist. They were all Germans. Some of whom were also Austrian.

Am I right in thinking Ligeti and Xenakis were not actually Romanians?  ;)

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on July 31, 2020, 11:51:46 PM
You turn Germans into Austrians just because they moved there?

I don't know where did you get this bizarre notion from.

Exactly what I specified in my post.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: steve ridgway on August 01, 2020, 09:35:03 AM
Am I right in thinking Ligeti and Xenakis were not actually Romanians?  ;)

Yes, you are.

kyjo

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 01, 2020, 09:14:09 AM
Are you a fan of his cello concerto?  It's a favorite of mine.   :)

Oh, am I! ;) It's one of my favorite pieces of music.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: kyjo on August 03, 2020, 09:47:43 AM
Oh, am I! ;) It's one of my favorite pieces of music.
OT Favorite recording(s) of it?  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on August 03, 2020, 06:46:48 AM
I don't know where did you get this bizarre notion from.

From you labelling Beethoven and Brahms as Austrian rather than German.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Florestan

Quote from: Madiel on August 03, 2020, 04:00:50 PM
From you labelling Beethoven and Brahms as Austrian rather than German.

I did not labelled them Austrian. That's your interpretation of what I did write, namely "The Austrian Connection".

If I wrote "The English Connection" with respect to Clementi, Cramer and Dussek would you infer that I labelled them Englishmen?

Now that I think of it, I should have written "The Vienna Connection". I don't think you would have had any objection to that.

ritter

Well, there's that old joke that says that Austria has convinced the world that Hitler was German, and Beethoven  Austrian... ;) ;D

Madiel

Quote from: Florestan on August 03, 2020, 10:40:49 PM
I did not labelled them Austrian. That's your interpretation of what I did write, namely "The Austrian Connection".

If I wrote "The English Connection" with respect to Clementi, Cramer and Dussek would you infer that I labelled them Englishmen?

Now that I think of it, I should have written "The Vienna Connection". I don't think you would have had any objection to that.

Oh for heavens' sake. I wouldn't have even noticed if you hadn't of bloody well written "THE GERMAN CONNECTION" on the very next line. Okay? You're the one who decided to label some people with "Austrian" and some other people with "German". It wouldn't have remotely occurred to me to query in any way your Austria/Vienna classification if you hadn't then highlighted the fact that you chose to label a couple of German-born people in the "Austrian" category, rather than the "German" category, by HAVING a "German" category.