Your Top 10 Favorite Composers

Started by Mirror Image, March 08, 2014, 06:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henk

Quote from: Mn Dave on July 08, 2014, 08:03:56 AM
I was listening to classical long before I was listening to metal. Isn't that straaange?

Did you try Rossini?

Me too, though I only listened to some metal. Listening to metal makes me feel like I'm in hell, shouting to and punishing other people. I hardly can listen to metal anymore without that perception, which makes me discard the whole genre.

Though Andy once make me notice a metal album, very intense, by which I had a different, almost the oppossite experience.

Andy however also made the impression on me metal fans are people who are highly bored with their life, as if you can put everything into expression in music, which I think is a wrong opinion, bad taste.
'Being humble and wise is knowing not being wise.'

Sammy

Quote from: ChamberNut on July 08, 2014, 04:39:14 AM
I thought Taneyev would be there too, Don.  Probably on the cusp.  :)

I do believe you have me pegged correctly.  For a top 15 or 20, I'm sure that I would have included Taneyev with Boris Tchaikovsky a little lower on the list.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Henk on July 08, 2014, 06:21:53 AM
Well, the years are by that I cared about that.

I think however that most people here just are enjoying music, in the decadent sense, but one of my goals is to achieve good taste. :) And I have achieved that goal!!  ;)

Trolling about your "good taste" isn't in good taste.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Henk

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on July 08, 2014, 08:32:38 AM
Trolling about your "good taste" isn't in good taste.

I agree fully when you mean post like that are annoying, like I said myself already.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Henk on July 08, 2014, 08:10:27 AM
Andy however also made the impression on me metal fans are people who are highly bored with their life
I have to do boring stuff 50-60 hours/week, so maybe.

Henk

Quote from: Greg on July 08, 2014, 08:54:34 AM
I have to do boring stuff 50-60 hours/week, so maybe.

Get a woman who's rich, Greg, and spend your time on composing. Some women like artistic men.

BTW do you know that passage in Also Sprach Zarathustra about a woman's hatred being a man who attracts, like a magnet, but doesn't attract enough to bind? Be sure you are not like that to women.

Still dating? Make composing your selling point..

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Henk on July 08, 2014, 08:39:06 AM
I agree fully when you mean post like that are annoying, like I said myself already.

Good. Then we agree your "taste" needs a make-over.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Henk on July 08, 2014, 09:07:57 AM
Get a woman who's rich, Greg, and spend your time on composing. Some women like artistic men.
Even if I ever knew a rich woman, I wouldn't be a leech.

Henk

Quote from: Greg on July 08, 2014, 09:38:55 AM
Even if I ever knew a rich woman, I wouldn't be a leech.

Who cares? More important is doing the thing you need to do.

mszczuj

Beethoven
Bach

Haydn
Mozart

Chopin
Schubert
Handel
Ockeghem

Richard Strauss
Bartok

eoghan

Bach
Beethoven
Stravinsky
Debussy
Hindemith
Wagner
Shostakovich
Handel
Messiaen
Bartok
Mendelssohn (or maybe Liszt or Rachmaninov or Gesualdo)

Moonfish

Quote from: Moonfish on July 03, 2014, 01:33:03 PM
Reassessing...... (and in no particular order/ranking)
Kicked out Debussy and replaced him with Mahler...  he he (even as I am listening to a wonderful La Mer with van Beinum and the CO!)

1. Bach
2. Haydn
3. Verdi
4. Wagner
5. Beethoven
6. Mozart
7. Schubert
8. Chopin
9. Mahler
10. Sibelius
11. Handel
12. Marais

It has been a while....

Now

1. Bach
2. Verdi
3. Wagner
4. Beethoven
5. Mozart
6. Richard Strauss
7. Bruckner  (new arrival on my list - spot number 6 - wonder why? Greg?)
8. Mahler
9. Chopin
10. Sibelius
11. Haydn
12. Schubert/Marais/Rameau

Last time Mahler sneaked in. This time Haydn descended. Schubert fell out of my top ten while Bruckner and R. Strauss made it in...   ??? ???
Clearly the summer "Brucknerized" me!!!!   
Rameau is barking at the door and wants to get into my "list"!

;D ;D ;D

Why does nobody like Verdi???    :'( :'( :'(
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on December 09, 2014, 04:54:33 AMWhy does nobody like Verdi???    :'( :'( :'(

I suppose I don't like Verdi due to his musical language in general, but I'm not a big opera fan either, so surely this must factor into my own reasoning.

Philo

01. Living
02. Brahms
03. Grieg
04. Turina
05. Chausson
06. Schoenberg
07. Beethoven
08. Rameau
09. Prokofiev
10. Sibelius

On the outside looking in:
von Weber, Schubert, and Schumann

"Those books aren't for you. They're for someone else." paraphrasing of George Steiner

amw

Quote from: amw on March 08, 2014, 09:51:17 PM
From the other thread—this about covers it in terms of overall influence on my life & listening habits.Bach used to be in the top 5, but I'm not sure where. I think I just stopped listening to his music nearly as much after a while, allowing Brahms to creep in. The other top 4 have been steady for awhile.
Slight revision:

1. Beethoven
3. Schumann
8. Schubert
10. Bartók
11. Brahms
14. Bach
16. Mozart
17. Haydn
19. Chopin
22. Dvořák
23 onwards: the rest

(Bach is gradually returning to the top 5, thanks in part to András Schiff's ECM recordings which I've been listening to a lot of, and Amandine Beyer. Cage has advanced to #23 ahead of the competition, I doubt he'll ever surpass Dvořák though. Also on the way up: Debussy, Sciarrino, Szymanowski, R. Barrett. On the way down: Messiaen, Ligeti, Xenakis. Holding steady: Stockhausen.)

Jaakko Keskinen

Ok, let's try this again. See if anything's changed...

1. Wagner
2. Beethoven
3. Brahms
4. Sibelius
5. Puccini
6. Verdi
7. R. Strauss
8. Tchaikovsky
9. Rachmaninov
10. Mahler

... 11. Debussy
    12. Bruckner
    13. Mendelssohn
    14. Schubert
    15. Schumann
    16. Bach
    17. Dvorak
    18. Franck
    19. Grieg
    20. Fauré
    21. Ravel
    22. C.M.Weber
    23. Haydn
    24. Mozart
    25. Chopin
    26. Schostakovich
    27. Rimsky-Korsakov
    28. Massenet
    29. Gounod

May change today. Not even now so sure about this list. Gosh, it's so frustratingly hard to put them in order. Only around top 5 has usually remained same.

"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Sergeant Rock

1. Mahler
2. Bruckner
3. Wagner
4. Haydn
5. Sibelius
6. Beethoven
7. Mozart
8. Vaughan Williams
9. Schoenberg and Brahms...tie
10. Havergal Brian
11. Elgar
12. Shostakovich

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Trout

1. Mozart
2. Beethoven
3. Bach
4. Mahler
5. Brahms
6. Bartók
7. Messiaen
8. Ligeti
9. Finzi
10. Stravinsky

Jaakko Keskinen

Of course I forgot Schoenberg, let's say he's no 23.
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo