Your Top 10 Favorite Composers

Started by Mirror Image, March 08, 2014, 06:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sammy

Okay, I'll do this in terms of which composers I listen to the most:

1.  JS Bach (about half my listening time).
2.  Shostakovich
3.  Schumann
4.  Weinberg
5.  Scriabin
6.  Mozart
7.  Haydn
8.  Ligeti
9.  Mahler
10.Scheidemann
11.Dvorak
12.Myaskovsky

Linus

I'm in awe of all the Top 10 lists here.

I think I'll have come a long way once I actually have a Top 10 of my own to refer to.

Right about now, I think I've listened to just enough Beethoven to be able to say, with some confidence, that, "Yeah, that Ludwig fellow certainly is among the best for me". Heh. :D

ibanezmonster

Here's a few questions...

is there a #1 favorite composer thread that doesn't have a pre-defined poll, but just people keeping track of a count #1 favorite composers? (Pretty sure there was years back, but don't remember...)

I believe Beethoven was the most favorited, so... I'm curious what was the most liked work of his? The 9th symphony? I just never understood how he could be anyone's top favorite... top 10, certainly, but his music just isn't extreme in any way... or is not everyone looking for something extreme?  :P Even after spending so much time a few years ago (finally) listening to his music, I found a lot of music I absolutely love, but none of it reaches those extreme heights that other music can, for me. What exactly is the appeal of his music to be a #1 favorite?...

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Greg on January 19, 2015, 07:02:25 PM
I believe Beethoven was the most favorited, so... I'm curious what was the most liked work of his?

Not sure about his most liked one but the greatest one to me keeps changing. I guess today I lean towards C sharp minor string quartet.  8)
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Jo498

Beethoven's music is frequently more "extreme" than e.g. Haydn, Mozart, Mendelsssohn, Brahms, Elgar, Sibelius, Dvorak and others mentioned as tops in about every respect I can think of. In any case, I think many listeners find that Beethoven's music is both extremely good in the department of passionate emotions AND supremely and tightly constructed. So roughly, he wins contra Bach or Haydn according to the first criterion and against Schumann, Berlioz or Mahler according to the second. (Of course this is very rough and there are other composers about this could be said, e.g. Brahms, although I like Brahms, I can understand much easier someone disliking Brahms than disliking Beethoven.)

I am not surprised at all that Beethoven is frequently mentioned as a favorite composer. It's easy to fall in love with his music and it is also easier to STAY in love with it (than with e.g. Tchaikovsky, please no puns on sexual orientation).

As for works, I think there are dozens of Beethoven pieces that I find head and shoulders above anything I have heard from e.g. Elgar, Sibelius, RWV or even Tchaikovsky. All but a few of the string quartets are pinnacles of the genre (e.g. the op.18/1 would be one, had not Beethoven himself written about 10 better ones). The 3rd,5th,7th,9th symphony, the 4th and 5th piano concertos, Fidelio, Missa solemnis, about a dozen piano sonatas, several cello, violin sonatas, a few trios. There is hardly a genre of instrumental music when one would not have to name a Beethoven piece among the best.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

71 dB

Elgar and J.S. Bach have been my two most favorite composers almost as long as I have listened to classical music. After these two there is a gap. The next 8 composers to fill my top 10 are not easily chosen.

For long I had Handel as my #3 composer, But I am afraid Handel has dropped on my list a bit. I think Rameau at the same level as Handel.

Taneyev has risen on my list very high.

Beethoven must be somewhere. Haydn? Mozart?

Bruhns is extremely important composer for me, even if his output is very limited. When there's Bruhns, there is Buxtehude. But I feel M.-A. Charpentier is at the same level as Buxtehude.

Carl Nielsen? Hector Villa-Lobos? Worth top 10?

I already have more names than top 10 can take. So, it's difficult.

Elgar
Bach

(gap)

Beethoven
Taneyev
Handel
Rameau
Buxtehude + Bruhns (considered one composer)
M.-A. Charpentier

No, it's not working... Haydn, Mozart, A. Scarlatti, Fasch, Graupner, Brahms, Liszt ...I am unable to give a top 10. Top 25 maybe...
...but here is my forced top 10 for today:

Elgar
Bach

(gap)

Beethoven
Taneyev
Mozart
Handel
Rameau
M.-A. Charpentier
Liszt

No Alban Berg, but what can you do when a top 10 doesn't take 100 composers...

Quote from: Jo498 on January 19, 2015, 11:55:05 PM
Beethoven's music is frequently more "extreme" than e.g. Haydn, Mozart, Mendelsssohn, Brahms, Elgar, Sibelius, Dvorak and others mentioned as tops in about every respect I can think of. In any case, I think many listeners find that Beethoven's music is both extremely good in the department of passionate emotions AND supremely and tightly constructed. So roughly, he wins contra Bach or Haydn according to the first criterion and against Schumann, Berlioz or Mahler according to the second. (Of course this is very rough and there are other composers about this could be said, e.g. Brahms, although I like Brahms, I can understand much easier someone disliking Brahms than disliking Beethoven.)

I am not surprised at all that Beethoven is frequently mentioned as a favorite composer. It's easy to fall in love with his music and it is also easier to STAY in love with it (than with e.g. Tchaikovsky, please no puns on sexual orientation).

As for works, I think there are dozens of Beethoven pieces that I find head and shoulders above anything I have heard from e.g. Elgar, Sibelius, RWV or even Tchaikovsky. All but a few of the string quartets are pinnacles of the genre (e.g. the op.18/1 would be one, had not Beethoven himself written about 10 better ones). The 3rd,5th,7th,9th symphony, the 4th and 5th piano concertos, Fidelio, Missa solemnis, about a dozen piano sonatas, several cello, violin sonatas, a few trios. There is hardly a genre of instrumental music when one would not have to name a Beethoven piece among the best.

It's comes down to what we have learned to appreciate. To me Beethoven's music is about restrained emotions. Emotions don't burst out in his music, it's "behaving well". I guess that's what you want from your music. For me it is restrained. That's why for me Elgar's second symphony is more important work than all of the nine symphonies by Beethoven combined. However, many piano sonatas and string quartets by Beethoven are "towering" achievements, so Beethoven has a pretty secured place in my top 10.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Jo498

I don't get what's special about Elgar. To me he is second rate at best and his popularity seems a local phenomenon and I think that he would probably be about as famous as Draeseke or von Hausegger if he had been German or Austrian. A second rate Austrian like Zemlinsky is more interesting for me than stogdy Sir Edward; Brahms or Mahler an entirely different league and Beethoven or Bach a different galaxy...
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Ken B

Quote from: 71 dB on January 20, 2015, 04:21:00 AM

Be like John: rotate.

71 dB

Quote from: Jo498 on January 20, 2015, 04:47:40 AM
I don't get what's special about Elgar.

Well, it seems to be common to have "difficulties" with Elgar' music. For me it was quite easy to fall in love with his music, but according to what many GMG members write on this board, it takes years for many to really see the greatness in Elgar's music. I think it's when people start to believe Elgar's music is great, they are able to experience it in new way.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Alberich on January 19, 2015, 11:24:33 PM
Not sure about his most liked one but the greatest one to me keeps changing. I guess today I lean towards C sharp minor string quartet.  8)
Hm, I wonder if that's more common than I think. He has such a well-rounded list of works that it's also hard for me to choose.

Beethoven's music is frequently more "extreme" than e.g. Haydn, Mozart, Mendelsssohn, Brahms, Elgar, Sibelius, Dvorak and others mentioned as tops in about every respect I can think of.
Yeah, though that's kind of like saying that some very mild hot sauce is spicier than that piece of lettuce over there.  ;D

I like my hot sauce like I like my music: needs to be overwhelmingly strong.

In any case, I think many listeners find that Beethoven's music is both extremely good in the department of passionate emotions AND supremely and tightly constructed. So roughly, he wins contra Bach or Haydn according to the first criterion and against Schumann, Berlioz or Mahler according to the second.
Well, obvious tight construction. Not sure about Schumann or Berlioz, but a lot of Mahler's stuff is way more tightly constructed than people think simply because he doesn't make it so obvious. And I think that's one appeal of late Beethoven to me- not being (or seeming) so tightly constructed as his early music, the music can feel a bit more of a challenge than a transparent structure like what the classical period goes for. And I tend to associate tight structures with cheery content sometimes to non-classical or pop music.  :-\

Mirror Image

Newly revised list:

1. Elgar
2. RVW
3. Shostakovich
4. Ravel
5. Bartok
6. Britten
7. Stravinsky
8. Berg
9. Martinu
10. Sculthorpe

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Greg on January 19, 2015, 07:02:25 PM
What exactly is the appeal of his music to be a #1 favorite?...

Although Beethoven's on #2 in my list, I certainly can see why people put him on first place. I mean, Alex Delarge liked his music, that means it has to be good, right?  8)
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

springrite

New and revised:

1  Bach
2  Mahler
3  Beethoven
4  Brian
5  Haydn
6  Brahms
7  Feldman
8  Schubert
9  Berg
10 Rubbra
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

71 dB

What the hell does ' tightly constructed ' even mean?

Jaakko Keskinen

Quote from: Greg on January 20, 2015, 06:57:47 AM
I like my hot sauce like I like my music: needs to be overwhelmingly strong.

I thought Beethoven was the one who "started" the overwhelmingly strong music.  ::) He can also be played by much larger orchestras than what was used in his time and pretty often has been. I remember video of Karajan conducting in the 60s 5th symphony with 8 french horns.

- Victor Hugo

ZauberdrachenNr.7

Quote from: 71 dB on January 20, 2015, 04:21:00 AM

...but here is my forced top 10 for today:

Elgar
Bach

(gap)

Beethoven
Taneyev
Mozart
Handel
Rameau
M.-A. Charpentier
Liszt

So exciting to see Charpentier (and when it comes to it, Rameau) in your Top Ten.  Good work!

Mirror Image

Quote from: springrite on January 20, 2015, 08:46:14 AM
New and revised:

1  Bach
2  Mahler
3  Beethoven
4  Brian
5  Haydn
6  Brahms
7  Feldman
8  Schubert
9  Berg
10 Rubbra

Didn't know Rubbra scored so high on your list, Paul. That's wonderful! I love his music.

Robert

Quote from: Sammy on January 19, 2015, 12:27:23 PM
Okay, I'll do this in terms of which composers I listen to the most:

1.  JS Bach (about half my listening time).
2.  Shostakovich
3.  Schumann
4.  Weinberg
5.  Scriabin
6.  Mozart
7.  Haydn
8.  Ligeti
9.  Mahler
10.Scheidemann
11.Dvorak
12.Myaskovsky
Hi Don
Nice to see Myaskovsky and Vainberg on your list....I am not familiar with Scheidemann, What does he bring to the table?

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Alberich on January 20, 2015, 09:00:30 AM
I thought Beethoven was the one who "started" the overwhelmingly strong music.  ::) He can also be played by much larger orchestras than what was used in his time and pretty often has been. I remember video of Karajan conducting in the 60s 5th symphony with 8 french horns.
I mean strong more in the harmonic sense (although I do like "big" as well)... and for his time it was that as well, but compared to what came later, not so much.

Robert

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 20, 2015, 07:03:57 AM
Newly revised list:

1. Elgar
2. RVW
3. Shostakovich
4. Ravel
5. Bartok
6. Britten
7. Stravinsky
8. Berg
9. Martinu
10. Sculthorpe
Hi John
Like your list...Peter Sculthorpe?  I have most of his ABC discs.  What particular pieces of his do you like? I don't listen to  him that much....What am I missing here?

Robert