Your Top 10 Favorite Composers

Started by Mirror Image, March 08, 2014, 06:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Elgarian on January 20, 2015, 11:14:33 AM
I'd like to say several things in response to this:

1. These are lists of favourites, not attempts at some sort of objective assessment of greatness (the conclusions of which activity would in any case be questionable I think, as with art of any kind).
2. Elgar is up there for me (and others) quite simply because I've loved his music over most of a lifetime. I loved it when I first heard it at the age of 16. I still love it (in all sorts of ways, some the same, some different) more than 50 years later. I can't justify that in a way that would explain it to anyone else, any more than I could justify any other kind of love that wasn't shared.
3. So it's not about which league or galaxy his music might belong to in relation to other composers, but about impassioned and intuitive personal responses that I couldn't change if I tried. After all, the person you fall in love with may not be 'special' in anyone else's eyes but your own; but it hardly matters.
I would add that what attracted us to the music in the first place will also likely be a factor. When I was younger, I loved the loud/crass/breathless/brassy/etc type of classical music. Think full orchestra playing. Think Russian Sailor's Dance, Sabre Dance, Tchaikovsky's 5th symphony: last movement, Verdi's Requiem: Dies Irae, Prokofiev's Alexander Nevsky: Battle of the Ice, etc. This is what first attracted me and it remains a love to this day. I've grown into Baroque/Renaissance and Chamber, for example, but my first love will probably be these thrilling, soul-wrenching climaxes that are the thing I love most.

So depending how far we get from where we start is a factor, at least I think so. And this was why I had to wait quite a long time to really enjoy chamber music (but also explains my love of opera).  I never thought I'd enjoy chamber, but when I was ready I heard a Piano Trio from Brahms and it touched me as much as any piece of music I have heard. From there, I discoved Bach's Cello Suites, which helped open up another world I had not always enjoyed. And the journey goes on. But as our tastes expand, so does our appreciation of composers we once found wanting. It is why I hesitate to bash composers too much (or at all), because it reflects more on us than it does the composer at hand.

But it can also help us appreciate composers we thought we knew. I long liked Donizetti, but always felt there was a certain sameness to his music and stopped exploring after only a handful of operas. But as my tastes expanded and I heard new works, I could come back to Donizetti and realize the great skill he employed throughout his operas, so much so that I now have at least more than a dozen and try to acquire 1-2 new pieces of his every year.

WHich brings me full circle back to Elgar. Here is a composer who I have long enjoyed - one can blast those symphonies or the cello concerto, but there is so much more to his music. It is a rich tapestry, one that I have always gravitated towards. Today, I think I appreciate him (and dozens of others) far more just because my understanding and appreciation has expanded. The two pieces that helped open the door were the second symphony and the Music Makers (particularly the latter). But more importantly, appeciation of Elgar had opened the door to many other composers who I might never have discovered, like Foulds or Butterworth or Parry (just as my appreciation of Donizetti also led me back to Rossini and Bellini).

I just hope I never stop discovering new music or new aspects to music I already know. Personally, I'd never want to go back to a point where I was hearing a piece for the first time. I think life and appreciation make those pieces all the more close to my heart.

Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Mirror Image

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 20, 2015, 06:14:09 PMWhich brings me full circle back to Elgar. Here is a composer who I have long enjoyed - one can blast those symphonies or the cello concerto, but there is so much more to his music. It is a rich tapestry, one that I have always gravitated towards. Today, I think I appreciate him (and dozens of others) far more just because my understanding and appreciation has expanded. The two pieces that helped open the door were the second symphony and the Music Makers (particularly the latter). But more importantly, appeciation of Elgar had opened the door to many other composers who I might never have discovered...

Bravo, Neal! Take a bow. Sorry, I had to single out this section about Elgar. :)

Jo498

I did not mean to offend the Elgar lovers. However, after Greg expressed some puzzlement that Beethoven was so high on many peoples's lists I did likewise for Elgar. And I still find it surprising that Elgar is so highly esteemed. I would not have wondered too much if he had been on some lists hovering around positions 8-10, but for me it is astonishing that several have him as favorite or at least among the top positions. I would be similarly puzzled if a bunch of people had named Franz Schmidt, Reger or Pfitzner as their favorites. (But apparently everybody would be puzzled in such a case... I wonder if anyone here not from the Anglosphere has Elgar among his top ten.)

I like Sea pictures, the Enigmas and the Cello concerto (without finding any of it overwhelming or extraordinary), but the symphonies have been basically colossal bores to me so far, although I keep trying once in a while. I got the violin concerto last year but do not remember much about it (except that it is extremely long).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

North Star

Quote from: Jo498 on January 21, 2015, 01:07:45 AMI wonder if anyone here not from the Anglosphere has Elgar among his top ten.
71 dB
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

milk

Quote from: Greg on January 20, 2015, 01:47:49 PM
I wonder if we're the only two with Xenakis on our list...?
A badge of honor? 

71 dB

Quote from: Jo498 on January 21, 2015, 01:07:45 AM
And I still find it surprising that Elgar is so highly esteemed.
As an Elgarian I have always seen things from an another angle (meaning I don't see Elgar surprisingly highly esteemed).

Quote from: Jo498 on January 21, 2015, 01:07:45 AMI would not have wondered too much if he had been on some lists hovering around positions 8-10, but for me it is astonishing that several have him as favorite or at least among the top positions.
It's Elgarian and me having Elgar at the top spot. That's several to you? Most people here don't have Elgar's in their top 10 at all. Aren't you overstating Elgar success here a bit?

Quote from: Jo498 on January 21, 2015, 01:07:45 AMI would be similarly puzzled if a bunch of people had named Franz Schmidt, Reger or Pfitzner as their favorites. (But apparently everybody would be puzzled in such a case... I wonder if anyone here not from the Anglosphere has Elgar among his top ten.)
We like what we like. No need to get puzzled about it.

Quote from: Jo498 on January 21, 2015, 01:07:45 AMI like Sea pictures, the Enigmas and the Cello concerto (without finding any of it overwhelming or extraordinary), but the symphonies have been basically colossal bores to me so far, although I keep trying once in a while. I got the violin concerto last year but do not remember much about it (except that it is extremely long).
The symphonies seem to be 'difficult' for many. However, calling them colossal bores makes me puzzled.  ;)

Just know that we Elgarians really do find wonderful things in Elgar's music and that's why some may even put Elgar on top.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

milk

Quote from: springrite on January 20, 2015, 03:12:56 PM
Three. Feldman has always been on my list, from the first moment I heard his first note.
I feel like most composers are like, "here's a violin! here's a piano." Whereas Feldman is like, "here's a sound." Anyway, it took me a little time, but once he clicked he really clicked with me.

Sergeant Rock

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Jo498

Quote from: 71 dB on January 21, 2015, 01:33:00 AM
As an Elgarian I have always seen things from an another angle (meaning I don't see Elgar surprisingly highly esteemed).
It's Elgarian and me having Elgar at the top spot. That's several to you? Most people here don't have Elgar's in their top 10 at all. Aren't you overstating Elgar success here a bit?
And Mirror Image on 1, André had him second, but his list maybe was not ordered. Yes, compared to Magnard, Schmidt and Pfitzner (I think they were on nobody's) this is an astonishing success, I believe.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

71 dB

Quote from: Jo498 on January 21, 2015, 01:58:34 AM
And Mirror Image on 1, André had him second, but his list maybe was not ordered. Yes, compared to Magnard, Schmidt and Pfitzner (I think they were on nobody's) this is an astonishing success, I believe.
Oh, my mistake. 
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

milk

Ken B

Quote from: Jo498 on January 21, 2015, 01:07:45 AM
I did not mean to offend the Elgar lovers. However, after Greg expressed some puzzlement that Beethoven was so high on many peoples's lists I did likewise for Elgar. And I still find it surprising that Elgar is so highly esteemed. I would not have wondered too much if he had been on some lists hovering around positions 8-10, but for me it is astonishing that several have him as favorite or at least among the top positions. I would be similarly puzzled if a bunch of people had named Franz Schmidt, Reger or Pfitzner as their favorites. (But apparently everybody would be puzzled in such a case... I wonder if anyone here not from the Anglosphere has Elgar among his top ten.)

I like Sea pictures, the Enigmas and the Cello concerto (without finding any of it overwhelming or extraordinary), but the symphonies have been basically colossal bores to me so far, although I keep trying once in a while. I got the violin concerto last year but do not remember much about it (except that it is extremely long).

Ditto. He wrote some good tunes. The chamber music I have heard is excellent.  The cello concerto is very good, as are some of the Enigmas. Most of the rest is overblown, overlong. It's hard not to detect the pompous self importance so evident in his photos in his Important Big Works like the symphonies or Gerontius. He's better in the smaller stuff.

*runs for cover*

Ken B

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 21, 2015, 01:50:40 AM
A symptom of mental instability?  ;D ;)

Sarge
Not that that's a bad thing!
I can totally see Feldman as a top tenner. He's not for me, but he takes an approach that can change the way you listen to music. Not just his music, but any music. Philip Glass had that effect on me. Gotta love that.

It's Elgar who's the puzzle wrapped in a mystery shrouded in an ... (you know the rest)  :laugh:

André

Elgar was indeed second on my list. Three new purchases pushed him up on my list: the Crown of India twofer on Chandos, the same label's Sea Pics + TDoG, and the 30 disc EMI box. That in itself should signal how much I revere him: where your money goes... ;)

Among my top works in their genres, which always stop me in my tracks when played on the radio: Symphony 1, Cello Cto, Violin Cto, Alassio, TDoG, Enigma. Hearing those make me stop everything else.

Bogey

Quote from: André on January 21, 2015, 03:40:45 PM
Elgar was indeed second on my list. Three new purchases pushed him up on my list: the Crown of India twofer on Chandos, the same label's Sea Pics + TDoG, and the 30 disc EMI

Isn't that cool how that can happen when you keep listening to music.  Neat.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Moonfish

Updating as the "list" changes every full moon.....

Bach
Elgar
Sibelius
R Strauss
Wagner
Verdi
Beethoven
Chopin
Bruckner
Mozart
Weiss
Marais
Haydn
Schubert
Mahler

I know - I'm cheating...
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Jo498

Quote from: Ken B on January 21, 2015, 01:46:59 PM
Ditto. He wrote some good tunes. The chamber music I have heard is excellent.  The cello concerto is very good, as are some of the Enigmas. Most of the rest is overblown, overlong. It's hard not to detect the pompous self importance so evident in his photos in his Important Big Works like the symphonies or Gerontius. He's better in the smaller stuff.

*runs for cover*
There is not much chamber music, is there? I have never heard anything of it, but I will definitely check it out. As I said, to me the veneration of Elgar seemed a British (or at least Anglo) thing. I still think there are a bunch of more interesting composers from around 1900 who are comparably obscure, like some of the ones I mentioned. Of course, Pfitzner or Schmidt are even in Germany or Austria no way as popular as Elgar is in the Anglosphere (although they were never almost forgotten like Draeseke or Joseph Marx), but this is because of Mahler, Strauss, Schönberg etc.
- Blaise Pascal

Elgarian

Quote from: ZauberdrachenNr.7 on January 20, 2015, 01:57:43 PM
Agree 110% (the extra is for enthusiasm), Elgarian, but I believe there's room here for the telling, however ob- or subjective, of one's loves.  You use the word justify in your explanation, which may be the crux of the matter; you are right - there's no need for justification.  Still, you can do justice to your love by telling us what you hear in Elgar - I'd be appreciative - and you may spur listens, as well as greater appreciation, perhaps conversions...  The difficulty of communication is no reason not to attempt it.  GMGers are empathetic, sensitive and capable of putting themselves in others' listening chairs (that's only a slight exaggeration :laugh:).  If your love is too personal, that I can well understand.  To me, Elgar is a composer of the first rank; I esp. enjoy Sea Pictures which is not a work often cited by his fans.  At the same time, much of his work seems to me to present a conundrum - one curiously mirrored by your comments above - he is one of the most extraordinarily personal of composers and yet his musical language is so reflexive that it presents impediments to those who make the attempt to "get him."  (I'm not thinking solely here of the Enigma Variations but it's a good example of his modus operandi).  One suspects he is saying things he would or could not say in any other way; I hope you're not subject to the same conditions!

If you look back through this thread you'll discover that I haven't been in any way reticent about writing about what I hear in Elgar's music over the years (possibly repetitively to the point of tedium!). There are lots and lots of things to be said. But when it comes down to this personal question of love - which is what I was discussing in this case - there's not much to be done except to declare it.

But for the rest - the intricacies of the violin concerto and the significance of its cadenza, the depth of feeling in The Spirit of England, the astonishing journey that is the 1st symphony ... I doubt I'll ever tire of discussing things like those.

Elgarian

Quote from: Ken B on January 21, 2015, 01:46:59 PM
It's hard not to detect the pompous self importance so evident in his photos in his Important Big Works like the symphonies or Gerontius. He's better in the smaller stuff.

I don't think it's so simple. Elgar was a very complicated chap, full of self-doubt, constantly afraid of failure, struggling against the disadvantage of being (a) self-taught, and (b) a Catholic. What you see in the photos is a man struggling to present a particular kind of image to the world, and all is not what it seems.

Thing is ... I agree with you that the chamber works etc are exquisite, but I don't hear pomposity or overblown-ness in the symphonies, or the violin concerto. I never have. They seem to me no less intensely felt than the smaller-scale works, though of course they do carry with them some of the period's Zeitgeist, which is unavoidable.

Elgarian

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 20, 2015, 06:14:09 PM
But as our tastes expand, so does our appreciation of composers we once found wanting. It is why I hesitate to bash composers too much (or at all), because it reflects more on us than it does the composer at hand.

If I wore T-shirts, I'd be tempted to have one made with this printed on it. My quote of the week.

Spot on, Neal!!!