Your Top 10 Favorite Composers

Started by Mirror Image, March 08, 2014, 06:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

You "boring" guys sound a bit like Hugh Hefner lamenting he was never with any plain women.
8)

Christo

To some, 'great names' are not always the dearest composers they know. That's all.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on January 24, 2015, 02:33:28 PM
To some, 'great names' are not always the dearest composers they know. That's all.

Absolutely and nothing 'boring' about that too. Am just discovering Schubert.  ::)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Moonfish

Heck, I am doing 21 as well! Perhaps a bit traditional.  :-\ I need to bring in more Baroque composers into the 21 "realm"!

Bach
Elgar
Sibelius
R Strauss
Wagner
Verdi
Beethoven
Chopin
Bruckner
Mozart
Weiss
Marais
Haydn
Schubert
Mahler
Debussy
Rameau
Vaughan Williams
Brahms
Vivaldi
Dvorak

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

vandermolen

Quote from: Moonfish on January 24, 2015, 06:27:03 PM
Heck, I am doing 21 as well! Perhaps a bit traditional.  :-\ I need to bring in more Baroque composers into the 21 "realm"!

Bach
Elgar
Sibelius
R Strauss
Wagner
Verdi
Beethoven
Chopin
Bruckner
Mozart
Weiss
Marais
Haydn
Schubert
Mahler
Debussy
Rameau
Vaughan Williams
Brahms
Vivaldi
Dvorak

No 'need' to do anything I would have thought. Your list features the composers whom many would consider 'greatest' I guess. I don't know Weiss and Marais so must investigate them. I recognise that many of my favourite composers ( those whose music means the most to me and that I find most enjoyable) are not necessarily 'great composers'. Very interesting to see peoples lists.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Jo498

Quote from: Ken B on January 24, 2015, 10:45:46 AM
You "boring" guys sound a bit like Hugh Hefner lamenting he was never with any plain women.
8)
If I see lists of which I am not even familiar with some names and of several others I know nothing except the names, one could rather get the impression that I was only with blondes and missing a lot out there. But there is only so much time and energy to spend and as we know (some) gentlemen just prefer blondes...

[/sexist pig mode]
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Christo

Quote from: Jo498 on January 24, 2015, 11:52:24 PMone could rather get the impression that I was only with blondes and missing a lot out there. But there is only so much time and energy to spend and as we know (some) gentlemen just prefer blondes...

Interesting! A Top 21 from that perspective would perhaps look like:
  ;)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Jo498

white = blonde?
It seems that more composers were dark-haired than blonde, although there are many where I do not have a clue. Vivaldi was the "red priest" and Mozart apparently also reddish-light brown, but all the other bewigged and powdered guys?
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Madiel

Hmm. Somewhere along the line I managed a top 17 of this site, and I wrote it down... and now I can use that again for a top 10, but with one adjustment as a composer has done well enough with more recent purchases/discoveries to win a place higher up.

In chronological order:

Bach, J.S.
Haydn
Beethoven
Chopin
Brahms
Dvorak
Faure
Rachmaninov
Ravel
Holmboe
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Brian

Quote from: Brian on March 08, 2014, 07:05:22 PM
Now hang on, wasn't this Top Three before?

1. Beethoven
2. Dvorak
T3. Chopin
T3. Schubert
5. Ravel
6. Janacek
7. Berlioz
8. Haydn
9. Martinu
10. Tchaikovsky Schumann
Well, that was an easy update.

Mirror Image

A newly revised list:

1. Elgar
2. Delius
3. RVW
4. Bartók
5. Ravel
6. R. Strauss
7. Britten
8. Sibelius
9. Janáček
10. Villa-Lobos

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 10, 2015, 12:33:23 PM
A newly revised list:

1. Elgar
2. Delius
3. RVW
4. Bartók
5. Ravel
6. R. Strauss
7. Britten
8. Sibelius
9. Janáček
10. Villa-Lobos
Maybe you should stop making lists... Shostakovich isn't even on that one.

Madiel

The axis of power has swung to the English.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sergeant Rock

Will the real MI please stand up  ;D :laugh:

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 08, 2014, 06:24:13 PM
I'll start...

1. Ravel
2. Bartok
3. Stravinsky
4. Poulenc
5. Shostakovich
6. Villa-Lobos
7. Vaughan Williams
8. Szymanowski
9. Janacek10. Berg
Quote from: Mirror Image on December 10, 2014, 07:28:59 PM
Top 10 Favorite Composers (revised):
1. Schnittke
2. Shostakovich
3. Bartók
4. Ravel
5. Stravinsky
6. Britten
7. Sibelius
8. Berg
9. Prokofiev
10. Schoenberg

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 16, 2015, 07:07:57 PM
Newly revised list:

1. Elgar
2. RVW
3. Shostakovich
4. Ravel
5. Bartok
6. Stravinsky
7. Britten
8. Schnittke
9. Berg
10. Martinu

8)
Quote from: Mirror Image on January 20, 2015, 07:03:57 AM
Newly revised list:

1. Elgar
2. RVW
3. Shostakovich
4. Ravel
5. Bartok
6. Britten
7. Stravinsky
8. Berg
9. Martinu
10. Sculthorpe
Quote from: Mirror Image on February 10, 2015, 12:33:23 PM
A newly revised list:

1. Elgar
2. Delius
3. RVW
4. Bartók
5. Ravel
6. R. Strauss
7. Britten
8. Sibelius
9. Janáček
10. Villa-Lobos

the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Greg on February 10, 2015, 12:39:50 PM
Maybe you should stop making lists... Shostakovich isn't even on that one.
I am so confused. How can he fall that far?!?!? This adds to Sarge's list...

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 13, 2014, 06:40:38 AM
For DavidW:

1. Ravel
2. Bartok
3. Stravinsky
4. Poulenc
5. Shostakovich

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 25, 2013, 06:42:53 PM
Here's going to be a difficult list to make (for some), but narrow down your favorite composers to three choices and THREE CHOICES ONLY PLEASE!!!! No honorable mentions and no second guessing. This is your final list of three composers who you couldn't live without and that give you the most satisfaction of them all. Now go!!! :D

Mine would be the following:

Shostakovich:

Schnittke:

Hartmann:

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 01, 2012, 12:32:50 PM
Abiding Bulldog's wishes to pick one and one only I choose Shostakovich. 8) I don't think I could ever be without his music and his music, especially over the past few months, has conjured up so many feelings for me.
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Madiel

The word that springs to mind is "flighty".

Christo

If that's the true spirit here, my revised list may now look like:

1. Strauss (all of them)
2. Jenkins Karl
3. Stockhausen James
4. Schicklgruber
5. Pachelbel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM)
6. Mozart (père)
7. Brahms (fils)
8. Bourgeois Derek
9. Schumann (the German, double n)
10. Nanes Richard

Mirror Image

Oh, boy. I see I'm the butt of some jokes again. I love it! ;D I guess this just proves what a difficult task it is to narrow down your favorites to only 10 choices. :)