Newly revised list....

JUST KIDDING!!!!!

;D

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 10, 2015, 08:05:15 PM
Newly revised list....

JUST KIDDING!!!!!

;D

At least Britten was there every time. :)

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on February 10, 2015, 08:57:04 PM
At least Britten was there every time. :)

Britten's music made quite an impression on me when I first heard it. I had bought that Rattle Conducts Britten 2-CD set on EMI and the rest was history. 8)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 10, 2015, 02:03:16 PM
Oh, boy. I see I'm the butt of some jokes again. I love it! ;D I guess this just proves what a difficult task it is to narrow down your favorites to only 10 choices. :)
It's just such a surprise. For so long, Shostakovich was immovable on your lists. But then it was suddenly not even in the top 10! He hasn't gone the route of Delius has he?
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Mirror Image

Quote from: mc ukrneal on February 11, 2015, 02:57:18 AM
It's just such a surprise. For so long, Shostakovich was immovable on your lists. But then it was suddenly not even in the top 10! He hasn't gone the route of Delius has he?

Oh, no. I still love Shostakovich's music, it's just that it is so hard to pick just 10 which proves this is a difficult exercise to begin with or at least for me.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 11, 2015, 06:23:43 AM
Oh, no. I still love Shostakovich's music, it's just that it is so hard to pick just 10 which proves this is difficult exercise to begin with or at least for me.

I can appreciate this. I love lists, creating them and reading others, but I know that every year can offer different results. Four years ago Bruckner wasn't even in my top 30 listened to composers, now he's who I listen to the most or at least in the past year. But I don't know if that means I need to change my list, but I can understand how listening habits alter.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on February 11, 2015, 06:38:07 AM
I can appreciate this. I love lists, creating them and reading others, but I know that every year can offer different results. Four years ago Bruckner wasn't even in my top 30 listened to composers, now he's who I listen to the most or at least in the past year. But I don't know if that means I need to change my list, but I can understand how listening habits alter.

Indeed. It's interesting you mention Bruckner because four years ago he was actually in my top 10. :) Yes, listening habits can certainly change, but I have found that the composers that we always return to are the ones that we truly love or at least that's the way I've started to feel about it.

ritter

I can only commend Mirror Image on his wise decision to drop DSCH form his list!  :D  Aplogies! That was an unnecessary remark form me  :-[, and de gustibus non est disputandum...

I once tried (in a Spanish language forum) to get people to say which composer's they thought  were their 10 "fundamental" ones. By "fundamental", I meant that the enjoyed there music (i.e., subjectively), and also they thought they were "objectively" (if there is such a thing) "great", "important" or "influential". A silly exercise, perhaps, but one that tried to avoid someone saying soemthing like "Gabriel Pierné is one of the greatest compsers ever"... The results were compared, and the outcome was quite interesting.

My contribution then (and it remains unchanged, I daresay), was--in chronological order:

Claudio Monteverdi
Johann Sebastian Bach
Wolgang Amadeus Mozart
Ludwig van Beethoven
Richard Wagner
Gustav Mahler
Claude Debussy
Igor Stravinsky
Alban Berg
Pierre Boulez

Of course, the lists of runner-ups were very long (and as revealing as was what we then called the "A-list").

DaveF

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 11, 2015, 06:23:43 AM
Oh, no. I still love Shostakovich's music...

The interesting thing about this exercise (for me) is not necessarily the composers (although some incredulous fun is to be had from those who claim to be unable to live without the music of Johann Gambolputty - Johann Gambolputty??, we all go), but the fact that (for me) the top 10 are not at all the same as the composers of one's favourite top 10 pieces.  Mine fall conveniently into two divisions: those I really can't live without and those I really really can't live without.  So top 5:

Byrd
Bach
Haydn
Nielsen
Stravinsky

and second-division 5:

Messiaen
Tallis
Mozart
Beethoven
Sibelius

with Schumann as a late tactical substitution.

(BTW, MI, your Delius avatar looks a lot like Martinů - keeping your options open?)
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Cato

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on February 11, 2015, 06:38:07 AM

Creeping Brucknerism is at least a benign disease!   0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Mirror Image

Quote from: DaveF on February 12, 2015, 10:20:54 AMThe interesting thing about this exercise (for me) is not necessarily the composers (although some incredulous fun is to be had from those who claim to be unable to live without the music of Johann Gambolputty - Johann Gambolputty??, we all go), but the fact that (for me) the top 10 are not at all the same as the composers of one's favourite top 10 pieces.  Mine fall conveniently into two divisions: those I really can't live without and those I really really can't live without.  So top 5:

Byrd
Bach
Haydn
Nielsen
Stravinsky

and second-division 5:

Messiaen
Tallis
Mozart
Beethoven
Sibelius

with Schumann as a late tactical substitution.

(BTW, MI, your Delius avatar looks a lot like Martinů - keeping your options open?)

I have always liked this picture of Delius as it was used for a Royal Mail stamp and postcard (of which I own). As for him looking like Martinu, I'll have to say there is only a passing similarity to me. Thanks for your list. Very interesting.

Walt Whitman

All Time Favorites:

1. J.S. Bach
2. Beethoven
3. Mozart
4. Haydn
5. Rameau
6. Vivaldi
7. Pärt
8. Schubert
9. Fauré
10. Händel
11. Brahms
12. Liszt
13. Bruckner
14. Copland

Minor Key

In order:
1. Mahler
2. Schubert
3. Beethoven
4. J.S. Bach
5. Mozart
6. Dvorak
7. Sibelius
8. RVW
9. Brahms
10. Haydn

André

Quote from: Minor Key on March 22, 2015, 11:35:30 AM
In order:
1. Mahler
2. Schubert
3. Beethoven
4. J.S. Bach
5. Mozart
6. Dvorak
7. Sibelius
8. RVW
9. Brahms
10. Haydn

I would replace Dvorak by Bruckner and leave all others in - although in no particular order. Methink we have good taste  :laugh:.

EigenUser

New (replaced Mahler with Beethoven):
1. Bartok
2. Ligeti
3. Ravel
4. Messiaen
5. Haydn
6. Beethoven
7. Feldman
8. Gershwin
9. Debussy
10. Mendelssohn

I haven't really listened to Gershwin or Mendelssohn in ages, but I could never remove them. I still love their music.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Papy Oli

Quote from: Papy Oli on July 03, 2014, 01:57:43 PM
let's see...

The unchallenged top 3 :

1. Mahler
1. Bruckner
1. Beethoven

then 2 proper newcomers in the last year, mostly thanks to Hogwood...

2. Haydn
2. Vivaldi

then 7 long-serving regulars.

3. D. Scarlatti
3. Satie
3. Schubert
3. Pärt
3. Chopin
3. Rameau
3. Loewe (could have possibly been Stravinsky)

The one that tantalizingly knocks at the door : JS Bach...

hmmm.... time for some slight revisions..

1. Mahler
2. Beethoven
3. Bruckner
4. Haydn
5. Bach
6. D.Scarlatti
7. Vivaldi
8. Rameau
9. Chopin
10. Victoria or Tallis or Gesualdo.
Olivier

Jubal Slate

Um...
Beethoven
Chopin
Schubert
Brahms
Bach
Prokofiev
Haydn
Mozart
Sibelius(?)
Renaissance :D

Dax

Ives
Alkan
Szymanowski
Medtner
Grainger
Ellington

Moonfish

I think these lists are a cruel exercise. I can't sleep at night and if I do fall asleep the composers that didn't make my list haunt me in horrible nightmares!!!!!!    ::)

I think that is Stockhausen's ghost...

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé