Your Top 10 Favorite Composers

Started by Mirror Image, March 08, 2014, 06:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498

Quote from: 71 dB on May 21, 2016, 08:26:11 AM
Most people like pop music because it is force-fed to them while alternatives are kept "secret". These people think we are trying to be better than other people we listen to classical music because of that.
Yes. How does this show we are elitist? It shows that other people are ignorant or uneducated. What should we do? Should we keep them in the dark out of fear to appear elitist? Should we deny that we listen to classical music not to be "better" but because it gives us more desirable aesthetic experience?

My message to all people is we all can expand our taste and learn to enjoy all kind of music. It's not dramatic to listen to "something different". Anyone can listen to Stravinsky and enjoy it. All without any elitism. We can also enjoy some pop tunes without being dumb, because sometimes fun and easy entertainment is what we want.
I agree insofar that "in principle" everyone can listen to X and enjoy it (some might not like Stravinsky, but classical music is broad enought that almost everyone should be able to find someting). But many people don't. They have heard bits and pieces, sometimes popularized stuff like Bocelli or Potts and everyone can listen to classical for free on youtube or the radio. But most don't. Because we as listeners of classical music are elitist? I don't think so.

(Would you find it elitist to claim that not everybody will be able to get a university degree in Electrical Engineering? Could it maybe the case that some people are "unmusical" in similar ways others are not sufficiently gifted for mathematical and technical thinking? To be sure, I think the overwhelming majority of people does not lack the ability for appreciating classical music. But there is also the point that if you never develop a way of listening and spend (formative) years listening to (mostly) crap you might actually lose that ability, maybe like doing drugs will make someone lose intelligence or the ability to focus so he cannot finish a degree.)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

71 dB

Quote from: Jo498 on May 22, 2016, 08:51:06 AM
Yes. How does this show we are elitist? It shows that other people are ignorant or uneducated. What should we do? Should we keep them in the dark out of fear to appear elitist? Should we deny that we listen to classical music not to be "better" but because it gives us more desirable aesthetic experience?
These ignorant or/and uneducated people don't realize they are ignorant or/and uneducated. For them popular commercial music is the "norm" and classical music something obsolete from the distant past only elististic people listen to pretending to be better than them.

Those people understand the real reason we listen to classical music only when they experience what we do. I tell people not into classical music that there's tons of all kind of stuff for everyone. If you don't like this, you may like that. Another thing is you don't need to choose between classical music and popular music; you can enjoy them both. The more we admit we enjoy popular music too, the less elitistic we appear to other people.

Quote from: Jo498 on May 22, 2016, 08:51:06 AMI agree insofar that "in principle" everyone can listen to X and enjoy it (some might not like Stravinsky, but classical music is broad enought that almost everyone should be able to find someting). But many people don't. They have heard bits and pieces, sometimes popularized stuff like Bocelli or Potts and everyone can listen to classical for free on youtube or the radio. But most don't. Because we as listeners of classical music are elitist? I don't think so.
If you don't believe you can enjoy music X you won't, no matter what. I myself found classical music some 20 years ago when I started to believe I can enjoy it. The image of classical music is such that it appears obsolete for many. The trick is to make people realize classical music is timeless rather than obsolete. Not an easy task in a superficial world.

Quote from: Jo498 on May 22, 2016, 08:51:06 AM(Would you find it elitist to claim that not everybody will be able to get a university degree in Electrical Engineering?
No, because getting the degree was 1000 times more difficult than getting into classical music.

Quote from: Jo498 on May 22, 2016, 08:51:06 AMCould it maybe the case that some people are "unmusical" in similar ways others are not sufficiently gifted for mathematical and technical thinking? To be sure, I think the overwhelming majority of people does not lack the ability for appreciating classical music. But there is also the point that if you never develop a way of listening and spend (formative) years listening to (mostly) crap you might actually lose that ability, maybe like doing drugs will make someone lose intelligence or the ability to focus so he cannot finish a degree.)
I think amusical people seek for pleasure elsewhere. Maybe some of them are into sports?
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Madiel

Quote from: 71 dB on May 22, 2016, 09:55:53 AM
These ignorant or/and uneducated people don't realize they are ignorant or/and uneducated. For them popular commercial music is the "norm" and classical music something obsolete from the distant past only elististic people listen to pretending to be better than them.

Emphasis added. This phrase rather screamed at me given that this particular limb of conversation started because you disliked the fact that people weren't picking composers from the Baroque or earlier.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

If there's one thing I dislike about GMG, it's the air of disdain around pop music and the assumption that people would prefer classical music if only they were educated in it.

Well sorry, but I'm extremely well versed in classical music and I still find there are many times when I prefer pop music. The two genres have different qualities and meet different emotional/intellectual needs.

To sing the praises of classical music in no way requires the denigration of pop music, and when posters on here pull down pop music they are being elitist. They are expressing satisfaction with how they know more than the masses and appreciate finer things.

Bugger that. I don't see why as a music lover I can't search through and find things I love in the musical culture of the last 50 years just as much as I can search through and find things I love in the musical culture of a couple of centuries ago. There are great things in both genres and frankly there are lousy things in both genres. People have just had longer to bury the lousy things in classical music.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Brian

Quote from: orfeo on May 23, 2016, 04:46:37 AM
If there's one thing I dislike about GMG, it's the air of disdain around pop music and the assumption that people would prefer classical music if only they were educated in it.

Just to pick up on the last part of that sentence - all art is a matter of taste, and everybody is born with different taste, like it or not. The idea that, if everybody listened to a bunch of classical music, they'd eventually fall in love with it - is charming and nice, but a fallacy. Some people just won't. And that's not their "fault". They're not "missing out". They're just pursuing contentment in a different way from how you or I might pursue it.

Jo498

Quote from: 71 dB on May 22, 2016, 09:55:53 AM
Those people understand the real reason we listen to classical music only when they experience what we do. I tell people not into classical music that there's tons of all kind of stuff for everyone. If you don't like this, you may like that. Another thing is you don't need to choose between classical music and popular music; you can enjoy them both. The more we admit we enjoy popular music too, the less elitistic we appear to other people.
If you don't believe you can enjoy music X you won't, no matter what. I myself found classical music some 20 years ago when I started to believe I can enjoy it. The image of classical music is such that it appears obsolete for many. The trick is to make people realize classical music is timeless rather than obsolete. Not an easy task in a superficial world.
No, it's not easy. But I do not think that the perception of elitism is the main problem. Because this could work also in the opposite direction: There are obviously people attracted to all kinds of things because they are exclusive, expensive etc. (So I am certainly not going to pretend I like popular music more than I do to avoid appearing elitist at all costs...)
(by Orfeo) If there's one thing I dislike about GMG, it's the air of disdain around pop music and the assumption that people would prefer classical music if only they were educated in it.

I, maybe naively, hope that the assumption in the last clause is true with the insertion of "considerably more than now" before people. Regardless and independent of my disdain and dislike for most pop music. ;) And I actually think that this is *less elitist* than it might appear. The more elitist (and somewhat depressing) stance would be the claim that many people really are too stupid/lazy/unmusical/unfocussed/... to appreciate classical music even if they were educated.

I think it is fairly obvious are that many people are "ignorant" (not in the sense of stupid but that they simply have encountered so little classical music and often in a distorted way that they are hardly aware of it) because popular music is so pervasive in our culture. It's playing everwhere in the background, on TV, in shopping centres etc.

I cannot prove it (there is some research but it is probably inconclusive) but I believe that it becomes harder for people to appreciate classical music after having listened to nothing but popular music since their early childhood (so often for several decades).

There is also the pseudo-pluralism of popular genres. Some people think they listen to a wide variety of music but of course it is all popular music from one tradition (the anglophone of the last 60 years), usually based on a common song structure with a small spectrum of harmonic patterns, often in the same language etc. That makes it even harder to see that there is a world of other music (not only classical but also Jazz and some ethnic music) that is very different.

But all this is basically off-topic here...
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Quote from: Brian on May 23, 2016, 04:57:59 AM
The idea that, if everybody listened to a bunch of classical music, they'd eventually fall in love with it - is charming and nice, but a fallacy. Some people just won't. And that's not their "fault". They're not "missing out". They're just pursuing contentment in a different way from how you or I might pursue it.

That is true when we consider people past their secondary, or even primary, education. I think, though, that (very) early exposure to,  education about, and involvement in, classical music and musicmaking might yield quite different results.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on May 23, 2016, 05:15:46 AM
I think it is fairly obvious are that many people are "ignorant" (not in the sense of stupid but that they simply have encountered so little classical music and often in a distorted way that they are hardly aware of it) because popular music is so pervasive in our culture. It's playing everwhere in the background, on TV, in shopping centres etc.

I cannot prove it (there is some research but it is probably inconclusive) but I believe that it becomes harder for people to appreciate classical music after having listened to nothing but popular music since their early childhood (so often for several decades).

This.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Jo498

Quote from: Brian on May 23, 2016, 04:57:59 AM
Just to pick up on the last part of that sentence - all art is a matter of taste, and everybody is born with different taste, like it or not. The idea that, if everybody listened to a bunch of classical music, they'd eventually fall in love with it - is charming and nice, but a fallacy. Some people just won't. And that's not their "fault". They're not "missing out". They're just pursuing contentment in a different way from how you or I might pursue it.
It is of course not necessary that everybody enjoys everything. But this is not the claim. Only that most people could enjoy a far broader range of art than they actually do if they were educated/educated themselves.

And they are clearly missing out. (So am I because I will very probably never do a bungee jump.) And taste is not something mainly inborn but something that is developed. And like almost everything tastes takes time and some effort to develop and if it is never developed the potential might "wither". (E.g. if one is a strong smoker one WILL lose some of the ability to perceive different flavors of food.)
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on May 23, 2016, 05:23:17 AM
It is of course not necessary that everybody enjoys everything. But this is not the claim. Only that most people could enjoy a far broader range of art than they actually do if they were educated/educated themselves.

And taste is not something mainly inborn but something that is developed. And like almost everything tastes takes time and some effort to develop and if it is never developed the potential might "wither".

And this.

James

Quote from: Jo498 on May 23, 2016, 05:23:17 AMAnd they are clearly missing out.

Absolutely.

Anyone who can explore it all knows this.

Most conditioned pop consumers have little idea (or patience) of truly knowing what music is & can be.
Action is the only truth

Madiel

Quote from: Jo498 on May 23, 2016, 05:15:46 AM

This is true of any kind of music. People who grew up in the 1960s listening to 1960s pop music don't have nearly the same enthusiasm for 2010s pop music. The history of "classical" music is littered with people reacting against the music of a new generation coming through.

This isn't a quality of a genre of music, it's a quality of habits generally, of the way that brains work.

Jo498

Now I wanted to edit, but Florestan quoted already, so I'll add it here:
And like almost everything the development of taste takes time and some effort to develop and if it is never developed the potential might "wither".
The problem is that especially with music we mostly let popular media develop our tastes, even of the little children.
Imagine that the only books around were stuff like Dan Brown or so. Even in school children would usually encounter only such literature. It would be rather difficult to develop a taste for Shakespeare or even John Irving in such a world. And such a taste would doubtlessly be seen as exotic, esoteric and elitist by many.
The musical situation is still more difficult because Dan Brown's stumbling phrases are not blasted from speakers in shopping centres 24/7.

Nothing is so bad to be completely useless, it can still as a repulsive example:

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/000844.html
- Blaise Pascal

Madiel

Quote from: James on May 23, 2016, 05:29:08 AM
Absolutely.

Anyone who can explore it all knows this.

Most conditioned pop consumers have little idea (or patience) of truly knowing what music is & can be.

Oh James. You are one of the worst offenders.

I can handle the notion of "missing out", in the sense of people simply not hearing a particular kind of music. But to take that into some statement of not "truly knowing what music is" is the worst kind of elitist crap that denigrates the incredible amount of skill and effort that the best pop musicians have put into their craft.

And frankly, if your beloved Stockhausen is what music is truly is, then I'm perfectly happy not being a fan of true music, thanks all the same. I have better ways to spend my life than to use up any more of it trying to grasp what anyone finds appealing in endless operas about new age gibberish. It's pretentious shite.

Jo498

Quote from: orfeo on May 23, 2016, 05:31:09 AM
This isn't a quality of a genre of music, it's a quality of habits generally, of the way that brains work.

Exactly. Do you think a cognitive system trained on 5 decades of popular music from *one* tradition ("western and anglophone") would be as flexible with regard to different music than a system trained on 5 centuries of a respective variety of styles and genres?
Do you think we should teach English literature with superhero comic books (because there are so many different ones and they span the last 80 years) instead of using material from Shakespeare through Irving or other contemporary authors? Or say, to be fairer to pop music, use only post war science fiction stories?
- Blaise Pascal

Madiel

Quote from: Jo498 on May 23, 2016, 05:34:46 AM
The problem is that especially with music we mostly let popular media develop our tastes, even of the little children.

And the problem is the assumption that if other people like it, it mustn't be any good. This is exactly what elitism is. It's not true that if it's popular it's good, but neither is it true that if it's popular it's not good. It's actually more likely that it is good in at least some respect, that it has some quality that made it more successful than other things that were being broadcast.

No matter how much record company executives would like to be able to completely dictate what sells, things become popular because a lot of people enjoy them, not because people are completely brainwashed idiots.

James

Quote from: Jo498 on May 23, 2016, 05:15:46 AMI cannot prove it (there is some research but it is probably inconclusive) but I believe that it becomes harder for people to appreciate classical music after having listened to nothing but popular music since their early childhood (so often for several decades).

True, no doubt at all. Simple sound bite format to something generally much more elaborate & involved musically. Not to forget the presentation/performance aspects too. But yea, it is quite an a adjustment to go from being raised on 3-4 minute simple song form, to what you find in Art/Classical music with all of it's musical information, 4 hour opera, 3 hour mass, 1 hour symphony etc., etc. People raised on pop music are more or less to conditioned to think that this is what music is. Again, most of them haven't go a clue about what music is and can be - just try talking to them about it, they know nothing about it, it can be an impossible task to navigate without having them perceiving you as being arrogant. Meanwhile it is them who are plain ignorant.
Action is the only truth

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on May 23, 2016, 05:34:46 AM

That´s the biggest problem, methinks --- and paradoxically, the easiest to solve. Anyone familiar with little children knows that toy instruments are among their favorite kind of toys. Nothing could be easier than to build upon this and start their musical education as early as feasible --- but for this one needs more than the oftenly absent parental willingness and consent, one needs a whole educational and social philosophy strikingly at odds with what currently passes as such.

Imagine that the only books around were stuff like Dan Brown or so. Even in school children would usually encounter only such literature. It would be rather difficult to develop a taste for Shakespeare or even John Irving in such a world. And such a taste would doubtlessly be seen as exotic, esoteric and elitist by many.

Precisely.

The musical situation is still more difficult because Dan Brown's stumbling phrases are not blasted from speakers in shopping centres 24/7.

This, and the inverted snobbery which paints every classical music fan or novice as a snob.  ;D

Nothing is so bad to be completely useless, it can still as a repulsive example:

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/000844.html

Dan Brown´s Da Vinci Code is the only book I have ever regretted buying.

Jo498

You misrepresent the argument. [Many people like Beethoven as well, compared to e.g. the fanciers of Marenzio or Hartmann. But I would never argue that therefore Beethoven is bad.]

Food from McDonalds is not (at best) mediocre because many people like it. It is just mediocre, full stop.
The argument is that many people like Fast Food because they grew up with it and too rarely encountered anything else. And also that fast food tastes "good" in a certain way so it is seductive to stick with it but that one will not develop a taste for fresh, strange and different food eating only fast food.

The point is not to denigrate ALL popular music as the equivalent of fast food (although it is hard to deny that a lot of it is - most fans of popular music would even agree with that). The point is that the prevalence of popular music everywhere shapes what people think music is and mainly/only can be. It biases their musical cognition to some extent against different (and especially classical) music.
- Blaise Pascal

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on May 23, 2016, 05:49:36 AM
Dan Brown´s Da Vinci Code is the only book I have ever regretted buying.

Have you bought 50 Shades of Gray8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot