Harry's Purchases Today

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 06:19:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Quote from: Harry on May 22, 2007, 09:55:14 AM
Yes well you see Don, that's his problem, he thinks its a first rate composer, and if that is so for him, well that is oke with me.

In a sense, it's okay for anybody, Harry.

On the other hand, and regardless of the problematic nature of deciding how or if one great artist is greater than another great artist, it confuses the sets [ what one prefers ] with [ what is the best ].

Myself, I do not neglect Dittersdorf; I disdain him  8)

71 dB

Quote from: Don on May 22, 2007, 09:44:22 AM
Dittersdorf neglected?  There are at least 15 cds on the market devoted to only his music.  Not bad for a 2nd tier composer.

15 CDs? Think how ridiculous it would be if Mozart, Haydn or Beethoven had only 15 CDs on the market?  ;D

150 CDs would be reasonable!

Dittersdorf's Giob should be just as well-known, often performed and recorded as Mozart's Requiem. Dittersdorf's Symphonies should be just as loved as those of Haydn. That's what I think.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Harry

Quote from: karlhenning on May 22, 2007, 09:58:50 AM

Myself, I do not neglect Dittersdorf; I disdain him  8)

I am oke with that too my friend.

karlhenning

Quote from: 71 dB on May 22, 2007, 10:04:28 AM
15 CDs? Think how ridiculous it would be if Mozart, Haydn or Beethoven had only 15 CDs on the market?

Of course, that would be ridiculous!  Because Mozart, Haydn and Beethoven are giants among composers.

Unlike, say, Dittersdwarf.

karlhenning

Quote from: Harry on May 22, 2007, 10:05:02 AM
I am oke with that too my friend.

Thing is, Harry, we all have as part of our musical makeup a degree of natural curiosity, I think.  Or most of us have, anyway.  I am genuinely curious to hear new pieces, new (for me) composers, even if they are not so great as [insert name of a great composer here].

But when I see someone putting on a dog-&-pony show about how Dittersdorf would be consider as great as (say) Mozart if only, basically, we knew . . . well, I tend to find other composers of greater interest.

But then, of course, I am a freethinker  0:)

Harry

Could we please use this thread for what it is intended gentlemen?
No fighting please, that makes me incredibly sad!

Harry

Quote from: karlhenning on May 22, 2007, 10:18:12 AM
Thing is, Harry, we all have as part of our musical makeup a degree of natural curiosity, I think.  Or most of us have, anyway.  I am genuinely curious to hear new pieces, new (for me) composers, even if they are not so great as [insert name of a great composer here].

But when I see someone putting on a dog-&-pony show about how Dittersdorf would be consider as great as (say) Mozart if only, basically, we knew . . . well, I tend to find other composers of greater interest.

But then, of course, I am a freethinker  0:)

And if we take away the labels of great, greater, greatest?

71 dB

Quote from: karlhenning on May 22, 2007, 10:13:42 AM
Of course, that would be ridiculous!  Because Mozart, Haydn and Beethoven are giants among composers.

Unlike, say, Dittersdwarf.

And the reason for that is the twisted history.

karlhenning

Quote from: Harry on May 22, 2007, 10:20:09 AM
And if we take away the labels of great, greater, greatest?

You mean, it's all good, none of it's any better than any other?

I don't believe that for an instant, do you?

karlhenning

Quote from: 71 dB on May 22, 2007, 10:20:43 AM
And the reason for that is the twisted history.

Nonsense.  It is you who would "twist" history by imagining that there's some la-la parallel universe in which Dittersdorf is one of the three greatest composers in the world.

71 dB

Quote from: Harry on May 22, 2007, 10:18:56 AM
Could we please use this thread for what it is intended gentlemen?
No fighting please, that makes me incredibly sad!

Im not fighting Harry. I am just wondering why is it so difficult to understand some composers have been unjustly ignored. The trust in "authority" is so big. Well, "authority" can be wrong. Nazi Germany thought Jews are inferior. They really believed so! The thought that Dittersdorf is inferior to Haydn is just as stupid.

karlhenning

Quote from: 71 dB on May 22, 2007, 10:26:47 AM
Im not fighting Harry. I am just wondering why is it so difficult to understand some composers have been unjustly ignored.

Who finds that difficult to understand?  I am sure I don't.

QuoteThe trust in "authority" is so big. Well, "authority" can be wrong. Nazi Germany thought Jews are inferioir. I really believed so! The thought that Dittersdorf is inferior to Haydn is just as stupid.

The thought that Dittersdorf is just as great as Haydn is not merely stupid, but laughable.

Your error (or, one of your errors, here) is in this fuzzythink leap from "Dittersdorf is less well known than perhaps he deserves" to "Dittersdorf is as great as Haydn! And this is true, just because I think it!"

Harry

Quote from: karlhenning on May 22, 2007, 10:22:19 AM
You mean, it's all good, none of it's any better than any other?

I don't believe that for an instant, do you?

That is not what I am saying Karl!
By removing the labels, we may decide for ourselfs what is first rate and what not, and not start a discussion on what is after all subjective.

karlhenning

71 dB is perfectly right, Harry, we are not fighting (apart from, perhaps, a regrettable tendency for 71 dB to mistake something with which he wishes to disagree, for something stupid).

karlhenning

Quote from: Harry on May 22, 2007, 10:31:11 AM
That is not what I am saying Karl!

Excellent!

QuoteBy removing the labels, we may decide for ourselfs what is first rate and what not, and not start a discussion on what is after all subjective.

But that is the issue, Harry, exactly.  We all have the perfect freedom to decide what we prefer.

Culture is not a matter of every individual deciding what is first-rate for him.

I spent years in school, I knew all about composers being unfairly neglected years before I ever saw 71 dB tilting against Haydn's windmills.

But imagine the state of music education (and musical literacy), Harry, if each student tries to modify the music history curriculum with his own "Look here, I've decided what's first-rate for me."

71 dB

Quote from: karlhenning on May 22, 2007, 10:32:15 AM
71 dB is perfectly right, Harry, we are not fighting (apart from, perhaps, a regrettable tendency for 71 dB to mistake something with which he wishes to disagree, for something stupid).

Karl, I encourage you to think things more. Dittersdorf was the most important rival to Haydn. I also enjoy Dittersdorf a lot, his symphonies even more than those of Haydn. Even if Haydn was a little greater it does not justify the HUGE difference of their current state. Don't be ashamed to admit I do have a point. Harry supports Dittersdorf too and I am sure he gets new admirers every day. That is a positively thing. New, exciting recordings will be made. We already have our Mozart, Haydn and Beethoven. Now we can have something new!

Harry

Quote from: karlhenning on May 22, 2007, 10:36:04 AM
Excellent!

But that is the issue, Harry, exactly.  We all have the perfect freedom to decide what we prefer.

Culture is not a matter of every individual deciding what is first-rate for him.

That is a tricky question for me Karl.

I spent years in school, I knew all about composers being unfairly neglected years before I ever saw 71 dB tilting against Haydn's windmills.

Yes oke, I went through that schooling too

But imagine the state of music education (and musical literacy), Harry, if each student tries to modify the music history curriculum with his own "Look here, I've decided what's first-rate for me."

You think it modifying if one has a personal inkling towards a certain composer that is thought second rate?
So long as he keeps it to him self, that can do no harm me thinks.

I already stated that 71DB is somewhat strong in his opinions, and that his words are unintentional belligerent, all true.
It doesn't irritate me though!

karlhenning

Quote from: 71 dB on May 22, 2007, 10:41:30 AM
Karl, I encourage you to think things more.

Thanks, 71 dB;  I'll be glad I did.

karlhenning

Quote from: Harry on May 22, 2007, 10:43:36 AM
I already stated that 71DB is somewhat strong in his opinions, and that his words are unintentional belligerent, all true.
It doesn't irritate me though!

Nor me, mijn vriend; nor me.

He may at times amuse, but no, he does not irritate.

Harry

Well all things said, I play at this moment his Symphonies on the label Chandos, and I enjoy what I hear! :)