Harry's Purchases Today

Started by George, April 06, 2007, 06:19:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 dB

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Gurn Blanston

Some nice ones there, Harry. I predict you will be taken with the Farrenc disk, I know I was!  Also the Ries Chamber works disk. I will be interested to hear your impression of the Wagenseil Symphonies. I hadn't seen that disk before, but the little Wagenseil I heard was very nice. I see you also have the Ignaz Holzbauer symphonies. I am very sure that one will be most palatable to you. It was near the top of the Greatest Hits of 1750 list... :D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Harry

Harry

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 07, 2007, 07:53:33 AM
Some nice ones there, Harry. I predict you will be taken with the Farrenc disk, I know I was!  Also the Ries Chamber works disk. I will be interested to hear your impression of the Wagenseil Symphonies. I hadn't seen that disk before, but the little Wagenseil I heard was very nice. I see you also have the Ignaz Holzbauer symphonies. I am very sure that one will be most palatable to you. It was near the top of the Greatest Hits of 1750 list... :D

8)

The Farrenc disc I sampled a little bit, and you are right, I loved what I heard.
Ries is a al time favourite of mine, so what I can get I buy!
Wagenseil I heard on the radio, and I was attracted right away to this music.
Holzbauer came as a recommendation from you, so that's why he is there, and i am sure it will do just fine!
Thank you for the comments my friend!

71 dB

Harry, I have that Granados disc. I will listen to it now!  :)

Que

Quote from: Harry on April 07, 2007, 07:10:09 AM
Close to 10.000 euro's

No doubt your stake in jpc doubled in value! ;D ;D

Q

Harry

Quote from: Que on April 07, 2007, 08:07:16 AM

Q

They made me Board Director Que!

Harry

Quote from: 71 dB on April 07, 2007, 08:02:24 AM
Harry, I have that Granados disc. I will listen to it now!  :)

Wonderful, tell me when you are done!

Harry

Quote from: Que on April 07, 2007, 08:07:16 AM

Q

But, still I would like some of your thoughts about the recordings I bought, if you will that is!

71 dB

Quote from: Harry on April 07, 2007, 08:09:46 AM
Wonderful, tell me when you are done!

I bought it (Granados Piano Trio) last summer and I have heard it many times. I like the disc but I expected more "dancable" music. It's less Spanish than I expected.

Harry

Quote from: 71 dB on April 07, 2007, 08:16:37 AM
I bought it (Granados Piano Trio) last summer and I have heard it many times. I like the disc but I expected more "dancable" music. It's less Spanish than I expected.

Oke, well, when I am ready to listen to it, I will hear if that is the case.

marvinbrown

Hello Harry, first let me say that I am VERY IMPRESSED with your musical knowledge not to mention exposure, it might surprise you to know that I have not heard of the overwhelming majority of those composers in your 800+ cd purchase (but then again I am a relative newcomer to classical music).  I shall be using you as a guide for my future purchases, if I may be allowed to do so? . One thing that I did notice however was that you have no opera purchases, do you not listen to opera?

marvin   

Harry

Quote from: marvinbrown on April 07, 2007, 09:16:24 AM

Hello Harry, first let me say that I am VERY IMPRESSED with your musical knowledge not to mention exposure, it might surprise you to know that I have not heard of the overwhelming majority of those composers in your 800+ cd purchase (but then again I am a relative newcomer to classical music).  I shall be using you as a guide for my future purchases, if I may be allowed to do so? . One thing that I did notice however was that you have no opera purchases, do you not listen to opera?

marvin   

Thank you very much for this compliment Marvin. Lets hope I will provide you with useful knowledge. There are many with more as I!
Of course you may use me as a guide my friend, I don't mind that at all! You are very welcome!
Well I listen to Opera, baroque that is, but your observation is right, after Mozart, my quibbles begin with screeching, screaming vibrato prone sopranos.
I am not build that way to like it.
That does not mean I dislike vocal music after Mozart, but my appetite is limited, true!

marvinbrown

Quote from: Harry on April 07, 2007, 09:23:15 AM
Thank you very much for this compliment Marvin. Lets hope I will provide you with useful knowledge. There are many with more as I!
Of course you may use me as a guide my friend, I don't mind that at all! You are very welcome!
Well I listen to Opera, baroque that is, but your observation is right, after Mozart, my quibbles begin with screeching, screaming vibrato prone sopranos.
I am not build that way to like it.
That does not mean I dislike vocal music after Mozart, but my appetite is limited, true!

Thank you for your guidance.  I can see how after Mozart screeching, screaming vibrato prone sopranos may become the general impression most people have of operas.  Its true that during the period after Mozart's death, Verdi and Wagner placed very heavy demands on both male and female vocal singers. Wagner and Verdi expanded the orchestras and actually expected those soprano singers to be heard over these very large orchestras leading to the "screeching and screaming" people associate with opera.  That being said however, there are a few gems in the repertoire like  Wagner's Tristan und Isolde (if you can tolerate 4+ hours of singing....hmmm...better stick with Verdi's Othello instead).

marvin 

Maciek

Quote from: Harry on April 07, 2007, 07:10:09 AM
Close to 10.000 euro's

:o :o :o

Harry, you're absolutely mad!!!

But in a nice way, of course. ;D :D

So now I know how much it costs to get your own Purchases thread up to page 4 in less than 2 days. ;D

Have a great time listening to all this stuff! :D 8)

Maciek

Harry

Quote from: MrOsa on April 07, 2007, 12:17:58 PM
:o :o :o

Harry, you're absolutely mad!!!

But in a nice way, of course. ;D :D

So now I know how much it costs to get your own Purchases thread up to page 4 in less than 2 days. ;D

Have a great time listening to all this stuff! :D 8)

Maciek

On the old forum it had I think 21 pages in less then 2 weeks.
But correct, mad I am....in love with music.

71 dB

Quote from: Harry on April 07, 2007, 12:31:44 PM
But correct, mad I am....in love with music.

You are not only mad, you are rich too. I am mad too but far from rich. That's why it takes over a decade for me to buy 800 CDs.  ;D

Harry

Two new additions to my MDG collection.

karlhenning

71 dB