The Nielsen Nexus

Started by BachQ, April 12, 2007, 10:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madiel, Brian and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Madiel on March 03, 2020, 06:22:58 AM
Any experience of either of these albums? The Blomstedt has had a number of incarnations.

Both are of some interest for filling gaps in my collection without too much repetition.

EDIT: Also this one, which is not included in the Salonen Nielsen collection with the symphonies.

I have the Blomstedt set and its very good.  A good companion to his 1st Nielsen cycle for EMI in Denmark

Madiel

Quote from: Roasted Swan on March 03, 2020, 06:44:25 AM
I have the Blomstedt set and its very good.  A good companion to his 1st Nielsen cycle for EMI in Denmark

Yes, well in a sense it IS part of that cycle.

One of the incarnations that brings it all together, I now realise, is this box:

I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Karl Henning

Quote from: Madiel on March 03, 2020, 06:22:58 AM
Any experience of either of these albums? The Blomstedt has had a number of incarnations.

Both are of some interest for filling gaps in my collection without too much repetition.

EDIT: Also this one, which is not included in the Salonen Nielsen collection with the symphonies.

I've got the Blomstedt two-fer. I'd call it good but not superb.  Overall, his symphony cycle is stronger.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Jo498

The Roshdestvensky is slowish but good and good sound and has a few first recordings or almost unique items.
I am not that familiar with the works but I have usually heard about one or two other recordings. Unless one is really passionate about these smaller orchestral works it seems quite sufficient.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 03, 2020, 07:39:13 AM
I've got the Blomstedt two-fer. I'd call it good but not superb.  Overall, his symphony cycle is stronger.

Which one? He recorded two of them.

Madiel

Quote from: Jo498 on March 03, 2020, 10:27:22 AM
The Roshdestvensky is slowish but good and good sound and has a few first recordings or almost unique items.
I am not that familiar with the works but I have usually heard about one or two other recordings. Unless one is really passionate about these smaller orchestral works it seems quite sufficient.

Yes the main criticism I've seen of that one is speed.

I can probably try and compare most of this on streaming actually...

I would rather like to collect Nielsen's smaller orchestral works (plus I still need the flute and clarinet concertos but there are a lot more choices there). I have some in the Da Capo box set because it includes the widely praised Dausgaard recording, but there are plenty not included there.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Jo498

Quote from: Madiel on March 03, 2020, 02:32:53 PM
Yes the main criticism I've seen of that one is speed.

I can probably try and compare most of this on streaming actually...

I would rather like to collect Nielsen's smaller orchestral works (plus I still need the flute and clarinet concertos but there are a lot more choices there). I have some in the Da Capo box set because it includes the widely praised Dausgaard recording, but there are plenty not included there.
I checked again and I think the only piece that has an uncommonly broad tempo is the Helios ouverture. Which is also often recorded, so you will probably have eventually some as a filler and not depend solely on Roshdestvensky.
Schonwandt did the concerti as well and this recording was both on dacapo? and Naxos? I am surprised that Dacapo or Kontrapunkt don't have discs with all conceivable odds and ends by Nielsen. The dacapo chamber music collection was remarkably complete.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Madiel

Schonwandt's concertos were on Chandos. I'm guessing that was before he did the symphonies for Da Capo. And definitely some positive reviews for that one.

Helios Overture is one of the things that I already have, so not such a big concern.

vers la flamme

I've just began enjoying Nielsen's music in the past week after months of getting nothing out of it. I have the bulk of the Blomstedt/SFS cycle, symphonies 2-5. His music is quite unique, a symphonist like none other I've heard. A composer he reminds me of somewhat is Paul Hindemith, though I couldn't tell you why, other than that I hear the same kind of exacting precision and similar orchestral colors in Nielsen that I do in Hindemith. I often would hear his name mentioned in the same breath as Sibelius, and I think this explains in part why I had struggled with his music in the past; I was expecting Sibelius but I got Nielsen. They may have been near contemporary in age and both hailed from Nordic lands, but beyond that they are two completely different composers.

Where did his music come from? Who were his influences? Were there others in Denmark writing similar music at the same time? I'm still trying to fit together all the puzzle pieces, if you will.

Irons

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 21, 2020, 07:19:15 AM
I've just began enjoying Nielsen's music in the past week after months of getting nothing out of it. I have the bulk of the Blomstedt/SFS cycle, symphonies 2-5. His music is quite unique, a symphonist like none other I've heard. A composer he reminds me of somewhat is Paul Hindemith, though I couldn't tell you why, other than that I hear the same kind of exacting precision and similar orchestral colors in Nielsen that I do in Hindemith. I often would hear his name mentioned in the same breath as Sibelius, and I think this explains in part why I had struggled with his music in the past; I was expecting Sibelius but I got Nielsen. They may have been near contemporary in age and both hailed from Nordic lands, but beyond that they are two completely different composers.

Where did his music come from? Who were his influences? Were there others in Denmark writing similar music at the same time? I'm still trying to fit together all the puzzle pieces, if you will.

I think you have answered your own question - "a symphonist like no other".
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Madiel

Has anyone heard Douglas Bostock's recordings with the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic? In total they seem to include all the symphonies and concertos plus a lot of smaller works (including possibly the only recording of one early work).

I've seen reviews all over the shop. Some praising it for being strong and rustic, some criticising it for lacking polish.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Madiel on April 10, 2020, 05:36:01 AM
Has anyone heard Douglas Bostock's recordings with the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic? In total they seem to include all the symphonies and concertos plus a lot of smaller works (including possibly the only recording of one early work).

I've seen reviews all over the shop. Some praising it for being strong and rustic, some criticising it for lacking polish.

I have it, and do not recommend it.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

prémont

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 10, 2020, 11:00:17 AM
I have it, and do not recommend it.

Why not? Its rustic and lyrical quality isn't that far fetched with Nielsen, and is to me a beneficial contrast to Blomstedt's hyper-efficient reading with the LA symphony orchestra. But my favorites are Oramo and Schønwandt.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

DaveF

The early pieces seem to owe a lot to an older generation of Nordic composers, especially Gade and Svendsen.  But he seems to have developed beyond those influences fairly quickly, and I too am at a loss to explain where a piece like the 3rd symphony came from (Beethoven perhaps?).  Agree completely too with the complete dissimilarity of Nielsen to Sibelius - not a single bar by either of them could have been written by the other - and the kinship with Hindemith, which I think used to be more remarked on 70 or 80 years ago than it is now.  To my ears, whole pages of Nielsen's later works, especially Commotio, could almost be by Hindemith.  It's difficult to imagine any direct influence - Hindemith was 30 years Nielsen's junior, and only just finding his own voice at the time of Nielsen's death.  In other words, I don't know either.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Madiel

I should correct myself and note that some of Bostock's recordings were with other orchestras.

But all up he's recorded more works than anyone else I think.

71 dB

I've just began enjoying Nielsen's music in the past week after months of getting nothing out of it. I have the bulk of the Blomstedt/SFS cycle, symphonies 2-5. His music is quite unique, a symphonist like none other I've heard. A composer he reminds me of somewhat is Paul Hindemith, though I couldn't tell you why, other than that I hear the same kind of exacting precision and similar orchestral colors in Nielsen that I do in Hindemith.

Nielsen's music clicked with me instantly when I heard it the first time: The fourth symphony was played on radio and I was blown away. Helios Overture was another early exposure to Nielsen for me. In that sense Nielsen is similar to Elgar for me. I liked them both instantly the first time I heard their music.

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 21, 2020, 07:19:15 AMI often would hear his name mentioned in the same breath as Sibelius, and I think this explains in part why I had struggled with his music in the past; I was expecting Sibelius but I got Nielsen. They may have been near contemporary in age and both hailed from Nordic lands, but beyond that they are two completely different composers.

Sibelius and Nielsen are indeed very different composers.
The former is serious and gray while the latter is joyful, bright and colorful. Nielsen is almost joking with his "crazy" music. You can't say that about Sibelius!

Quote from: vers la flamme on March 21, 2020, 07:19:15 AMWhere did his music come from? Who were his influences? Were there others in Denmark writing similar music at the same time? I'm still trying to fit together all the puzzle pieces, if you will.

Nielsen's music comes from an eccentric mind.  ;D
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

vers la flamme

Quote from: 71 dB on April 10, 2020, 05:57:57 PM
Nielsen's music clicked with me instantly when I heard it the first time: The fourth symphony was played on radio and I was blown away. Helios Overture was another early exposure to Nielsen for me. In that sense Nielsen is similar to Elgar for me. I liked them both instantly the first time I heard their music.
The former is serious and gray while the latter is joyful, bright and colorful. Nielsen is almost joking with his "crazy" music. You can't say that about Sibelius!

Nielsen's music comes from an eccentric mind.  ;D

Funny, I didn't like Elgar on first listen either, and I'm still in the process of warming up to his music too.

As for Nielsen, the symphony that really got it all to click for me is No.5. A fascinating work.

71 dB

Quote from: vers la flamme on April 10, 2020, 07:33:04 PM
Funny, I didn't like Elgar on first listen either, and I'm still in the process of warming up to his music too.

As for Nielsen, the symphony that really got it all to click for me is No.5. A fascinating work.

People have expectation and if those expectation aren't met... ...I struggle for long with Mozart for example and still struggle with his operas. Also early romantic era (e.g. Schubert) has been a bit difficult for me. I have learned to enjoy the music, but it has taken years if not decades...
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"