The Nielsen Nexus

Started by BachQ, April 12, 2007, 10:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VonStupp

Quote from: MusicTurner on November 30, 2021, 10:55:06 AM
There's been 1) a 1919 score of the Violin Concerto, with a confusing history and some obvious errors, but acknowledged by Nielsen; 2) Telmanyi's revised score from 1949, correcting some of the errors but also being too 'creative'; and 3) the new, official Carl Nielsen Edition score from 2002, reflecting the best current knowledge as regards both correctness and authenticity. Supposedly, recordings after 2002 would be the new, improved edition then.

Nice! It's too bad recordings are inconsistent to include publishing information.

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 30, 2021, 09:57:56 AM
Perhaps haul out your ouija board and ask him?  ;)

PD

The Ouija spirits were feeling a general malaise, so I asked my Magic 8 Ball. Its response was hazy...  ???

VS
"All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff."

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: VonStupp on November 30, 2021, 03:01:36 PM
Nice! It's too bad recordings are inconsistent to include publishing information.

The Ouija spirits were feeling a general malaise, so I asked my Magic 8 Ball. Its response was hazy...  ???

VS
:laugh:  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

What's a guy without an octopus to do?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Madiel

Great, so my recording of the VC is liable to be out of date and inauthentic... I hate knowing things like this.  :laugh:
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on December 01, 2021, 07:07:24 AM
What's a guy without an octopus to do?
Start a garden at the bottom of the sea to attract one?  :-\

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 01, 2021, 11:01:24 AM
Start a garden at the bottom of the sea to attract one?  :-\

PD

Warm below the storm.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Madiel on December 01, 2021, 10:59:24 AM
Great, so my recording of the VC is liable to be out of date and inauthentic... I hate knowing things like this.  :laugh:
I know, I hate it too! lol  But, hey, the most important thing is "Do you enjoy the recording(s)?"

Once I Figure out where I put my 2-CD set, I can see when the recording is from...  ::)  Need to catch up on filing!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

The original/authentic version of the Grieg Piano Concerto, recorded by BIS, has 100s of differences (as far as I remember around 400) compared to the usual, popular version - yet it's quite rare that I notice much of it, during an average, admittedly not that concentrated, listening ... :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on December 01, 2021, 11:50:37 AM
The original/authentic version of the Grieg Piano Concerto, recorded by BIS, has 100s of differences (as far as I remember around 400) compared to the usual, popular version - yet it's quite rare that I notice much of it, during an average, admittedly not that concentrated, listening ... :)
Good point.  Something to think about....

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Karl Henning

A musicologist's dream!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Madiel

It's true that often the differences are not that significant to anyone who isn't sitting there with a score.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

calyptorhynchus

Here's something that I never thought I'd be writing. A note about a composer's possible chronic disease.

One thing that has always struck me in pictures of CN is how bronzed he looks. I guess he got quite burnt in youth and probably liked the outdoors. But why didn't he whiten up again during the long northern winters?

I was reading today about haemochromatosis, this is a medical condition, usually hereditary and more prevalent in Nordic countries than anywhere else. It's caused by the body not excreting iron properly, so that it builds up in the body. One symptom is that the sufferer often looks very bronzed. The usual progression of the illness is that it doesn't cause problems up until a person's 40s, but after this it results in organ failure of one kind or another. This would fit the pattern of Nielsen's life: being active and healthy, then heart problems later on.

Does anyone know if anyone has suggested this diagnosis for Nielsen?
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

krummholz

Since no one has mentioned it... happy Nielsen's Birthday!

Karl Henning

Quote from: krummholz on June 09, 2022, 10:47:28 AM
Since no one has mentioned it... happy Nielsen's Birthday!

Obliquely 8)

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 09, 2022, 04:56:44 AM
BIRTHDAY BOY!!
Nielsen
Symphony № 4, « Det uudslukkelige » Op. 29 FS 76
SFSO
Blomstedt

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

krummholz

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 09, 2022, 11:55:00 AM
Obliquely 8)

Ha! Good for you, Karl! (Must have been in a thread I don't follow...)

Karl Henning

Quote from: krummholz on June 09, 2022, 12:41:20 PM
Ha! Good for you, Karl! (Must have been in a thread I don't follow...)

What Are You Listening to ... which is pretty high volume. Too high for someone like yourself who need be selective with GMG time :)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

krummholz

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 09, 2022, 12:49:41 PM
What Are You Listening to ... which is pretty high volume. Too high for someone like yourself who need be selective with GMG time :)

Yeah, I tried it a few months ago but gave up because of the high volume... actually I have more time in the summer, but am trying to spend it doing research and composing.

bhodges

Listening live to Prom No. 41 on BBC3, to the Nielsen Third Symphony, which I don't know all that well. (I adore the Fifth, sometimes at the expense of the others.)

This broadcast is with Thomas Dausgaard, the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra, Elizabeth Watts (soprano), and Benjamin Appl (baritone), and it's marvelous. I think they archive most of the Proms concerts, so if you like the rest of the program (Ravel's La valse and the Beethoven Piano Concerto No. 1, with Behzod Abduraimov, new to me, in terrific form), definitely check it out.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_radio_three

--Bruce

vandermolen

I was supposed to be going to the Prom Concert tomorrow night featuring 'The Inextinguishable' Symphony. However, the national rail strike has scuppered that plan. My daughter and her husband, who live in London and can get there by bus are going.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

Quote from: vandermolen on August 17, 2022, 01:15:47 PM
I was supposed to be going to the Prom Concert tomorrow night featuring 'The Inextinguishable' Symphony. However, the national rail strike has scuppered that plan. My daughter and her husband, who live in London and can get there by bus are going.

A pity you'll miss it, Jeffrey!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA