The Nielsen Nexus

Started by BachQ, April 12, 2007, 10:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on April 30, 2017, 08:14:03 AM
Regarding the 6th, it is certainly a bit peculiar. Even in its orchestration where the orchestral force is rather modest, except Nielsen called for a variety of percussion instruments. There are moments where it always sounds like Stravinsky wrote it (especially the second mvt) but I can't recall off the top of my head what Stravinsky has written around 1920-1925 that is of this style.

I think part of the reason it is less popular with audiences is that it closes with a theme and variations mvt and not with a bang like most symphonies. I can only think of Brahm's 4th that closes with such a form but Brahms does certainly close it out with a bang. It is the same reason Sibelius 1st has been at times been criticized because the finale isn't as high octaned as we have grown to expect in a symphony. It is also a bit different from Nielsen's other symphonies where there is always something tugging at one another, one musical idea fighting another. Here they more or less co-exist and become inseparable.

Anyway I think it is a great work, not nearly as simple as the name suggests.

Good commentary. For me, all of Nielsen's symphonies are unique, kaleidoscopic works that deserve to be studied as much as the symphonies of Haydn, Beethoven, Brahms, Mahler, etc. I think you nailed the essence of Nielsen's music with this comment:

Quote...there is always something tugging at one another, one musical idea fighting another

The idea of struggle is nothing new in music of course, but Nielsen's approach to this kind of ideal is nothing short than ear-opening. The way his music comes to it's conclusions, which essentially shatter what had just come before it into a thousand pieces really intrigues me. The continuous forward-momentum of his music is also something that appeals to me. He hardly ever stays in the same spot and there's always this surging undercurrent that sweeps the music along as if it was a massive wave washing out everything on a shore.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Turner on April 30, 2017, 10:56:42 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxMcjkWRChw

Nielsen: 4th Symphony - Juanjo Mena, DRSO (2015)

Holy moly. This is quite good.
Unfortunately no CD release.

Mena: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juanjo_Mena

Quite good indeed. I've heard this Mena performance not too long ago. He seems to get the energy right. Of course, the Danish RSO performance admirably well. They breathe this music.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 30, 2017, 10:05:21 AM
Thanks for the link, ørfeo. I agree with the critic about Blomstedt. I have 16 Nielsen Thirds; Blomstedt's is the one I really dislike (which I've mentioned many times in the past). The first movement seems robotic: metronome driven as though no human conductor is involved. There is no feeling of catharsis in the development's climactic waltz.

My favorites (especially the first four): Bernstein, Oramo, Kuchar, Schmidt, Rozhdestvensky, Salonen, Bostock, and the historical Frandsen.

Sarge

I found Blomstedt's SFSO performance to be all surface and there's the sense that he's just rushing and you nailed it about the waltz section. He just sounds like he's ready for his lunch break without paying much attention to these twists and turns that happen along the way.

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 27, 2017, 07:06:15 AM
I'd also add that there's quite a sardonic edge to Nielsen's Sinfonia semplice that makes it highly attractive to me.

To me Sinfonia semplice sounds like Nielsen is done with writing symphonies. The symphony is a bit "silly" in nature as if Nielsen no longer has an interest of being serious. We would propably have Nielsen's 7th if I was wrong.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on April 30, 2017, 01:00:26 PM
To me Sinfonia semplice sounds like Nielsen is done with writing symphonies. The symphony is a bit "silly" in nature as if Nielsen no longer has an interest of being serious. We would propably have Nielsen's 7th if I was wrong.

"Silly" or not, I love the symphony and you would too if you had a better recording of it. ;D

prémont

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 30, 2017, 10:05:21 AM
Thanks for the link, ørfeo. I agree with the critic about Blomstedt. I have 16 Nielsen Thirds; Blomstedt's is the one I really dislike (which I've mentioned many times in the past). The first movement seems robotic: metronome driven as though no human conductor is involved. There is no feeling of catharsis in the development's climactic waltz.

My favorites (especially the first four): Bernstein, Oramo, Kuchar, Schmidt, Rozhdestvensky, Salonen, Bostock, and the historical Frandsen.

Sarge

I have often thought, that Blomstedt seems to favor cold perfection, and his SFSO Nielsen is no exception.

His earlier Nielsen recordings with the Danish RSO (EMI) are a bit "warmer". But still my favorites are almost identical with yours.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mirror Image

Quote from: (: premont :) on April 30, 2017, 01:08:41 PM
I have often thought, that Blomstedt seems to favor cold perfection, and his SFSO Nielsen is no exception.

His earlier Nielsen recordings with the Danish RSO (EMI) are a bit "warmer". But still my favorites are almost identical with yours.

Blomstedt (SFSO) is excellent in Symphony Nos. 2, 4-6. I have yet hear anyone do a better 1st than Oramo. My favorite Espansiva performances: Bernstein, Oramo, and Chung.

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 30, 2017, 01:03:58 PM
"Silly" or not, I love the symphony and you would too if you had a better recording of it. ;D

I DO like it nevertheless. Not my favorite Nielsen symphony, but great stuff, silly or not.  ;)

prémont

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 30, 2017, 01:12:19 PM
Blomstedt (SFSO) is excellent in Symphony Nos. 2, 4-6.

If it must be Blomstedt I much prefer the earlier recording.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Karl Henning

It's specious to take the enigmatic tone of the Sixth Symphony as "indicating" that Nielsen was "tired of being serious."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 30, 2017, 01:44:44 PM
It's specious to take the enigmatic tone of the Sixth Symphony as "indicating" that Nielsen was "tired of being serious."

Yeah, I find that a rather curious assertion on 71 dB's part. I should have just gave him an ::) and been done with it. :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on April 30, 2017, 01:28:11 PM
I DO like it nevertheless. Not my favorite Nielsen symphony, but great stuff, silly or not.  ;)

I don't really find the symphony silly anyway. I find some of the music to be be humorous, but that's about it. This symphony has really affected me over the past few weeks like it never has before. For me, it's a remarkable achievement.

71 dB

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 30, 2017, 01:44:44 PM

Well, that's the impression I get, honestly. In fact my best friend had similar opinions when I loaned the CD to him long ago...  :)

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 30, 2017, 01:57:02 PM
I don't really find the symphony silly anyway. I find some of the music to be be humorous, but that's about it. This symphony has really affected me over the past few weeks like it never has before. For me, it's a remarkable achievement.

That's ok and it's cool the symphony has become so important for you. I rank the symphonies this way: 4, 3, 2, 5, 6, 1.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 30, 2017, 01:12:19 PM
Blomstedt (SFSO) is excellent in Symphony Nos. 2, 4-6. I have yet hear anyone do a better 1st than Oramo. My favorite Espansiva performances: Bernstein, Oramo, and Chung.

I forgot to include Chung in my list. Yes...another great Espansiva.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Madiel

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 30, 2017, 01:54:46 PM
Yeah, I find that a rather curious assertion on 71 dB's part. I should have just gave him an ::) and been done with it. :)

You asked people what the 6th symphony "meant", rather than how they felt about it. I'm honestly not surprised that people are attempting to peer into the mind of Nielsen in response.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 30, 2017, 02:29:43 PM

Sarge

Indeed. 8)

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on April 30, 2017, 01:00:26 PM
To me Sinfonia semplice sounds like Nielsen is done with writing symphonies. The symphony is a bit "silly" in nature as if Nielsen no longer has an interest of being serious (1). We would propably have Nielsen's 7th if I was wrong (2).

To the bolded text (1): I'll also say that if Nielsen had no interest in being serious, then what do we make of the late masterpieces like the Flute Concerto, Clarinet Concerto, Tre Klaverstykker, or Commotio?

To the bolded text (2): Nielsen died in 1931, 71 dB. His Sinfona semplice was finished in 1925. That is a six year gap between completion of the 6th and his passing. He wrote a good bit of music from from the mid-1920s up until the end, but this does in no way indicate that he was done with writing symphonies just because he stopped after his 6th.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 30, 2017, 02:29:43 PM

Sarge

I agree Chung is great, along with Gilbert/NYP they are my choices for the 3rd.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on April 30, 2017, 05:41:07 PM
I agree Chung is great, along with Gilbert/NYP they are my choices for the 3rd.

The Gilbert cycle overall has grown on me in a big way. For me, not a dud in the bunch and that concerti disc is exemplary.