Author Topic: The Nielsen Nexus  (Read 169133 times)

Offline krummholz

• Vagn Holmboe (1909-1996)
Re: The Nielsen Nexus
« Reply #1120 on: August 25, 2020, 03:54:32 AM »
For those who are OK with downloads, you can get the Krogh recording for a dollar on Google Play Music, but you'll have to be quick as the service will be shut down soon.

Found it, but only in Swahili, and some other language that uses a Cyrillic alphabet... do you have a link to a download page that's in English?

Offline edward

• Veteran member
  • Hello, little man. I will destroy you.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
 -- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Offline krummholz

« Reply #1122 on: August 25, 2020, 04:30:48 AM »
Try this: https://play.google.com/store/music/album?id=Bx2btyooucixsgthyx6jjoy7t4e&tid=song-Tllmlfoz7epch4rbwesezkd3ae4

Thanks... I just solved my problem though. The last two characters of the full URL are a language code... changed "sw" to "en" and voila!  :)

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #1123 on: August 25, 2020, 05:26:04 AM »
Thanks... I just solved my problem though. The last two characters of the full URL are a language code... changed "sw" to "en" and voila!  :)

Well done!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Online MusicTurner

• Veteran member
« Reply #1124 on: September 04, 2020, 09:27:38 AM »
Some innovative folks in Copenhagen have now opened a restaurant named 'Carl Nielsen' in the house, where the composer stayed in 1906, at 5 Toldbodgade, serving that old, local lunch specialty of 'Smørrebrød' open sandwiches, with a modern twist. Some items are named after works by him, but those names aren't specified on the menu list. They include 'Solen er så Rød, Mor' (a song - tatare & egg) and 'Maskarade' (potatoes etc.).

It's a good idea, I think; we generally need more places celebrating our classical music personalities, besides street names & a few statues. Reviews of the place are good too. Prices aren't in the lower end, however.

https://www.tripadvisor.dk/Restaurant_Review-g189541-d21118082-Reviews-Restaurant_Carl_Nielsen-Copenhagen_Zealand.html
https://restaurantcarlnielsen.dk/carl-nielsen-restaurant/
https://restaurantcarlnielsen.dk/smoerrebroed-i-koebenhavn/
+ FB
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 06:27:53 PM by MusicTurner »

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #1125 on: September 04, 2020, 01:18:30 PM »
Prices for food in Copenhagen are never in the lower end!

Edit: Especially not in that area. I just looked on a map. Near Nyhavn?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 01:23:07 PM by Madiel »
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #1126 on: September 04, 2020, 01:19:22 PM »
What an imaginative idea for a restaurant! I hope I will eat there some day. I wish there was a dish with the name "The Inextinguishable".  :P

Offline Roasted Swan

« Reply #1127 on: September 06, 2020, 04:26:41 AM »
What an imaginative idea for a restaurant! I hope I will eat there some day. I wish there was a dish with the name "The Inextinguishable".  :P

I imagine that would be the world's hottest curry........

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #1128 on: September 06, 2020, 05:20:30 PM »
I imagine that would be the world's hottest curry........

Oh yes! And very nourishing. I would eat it with immense pleasure.  ;D

Offline krummholz

« Reply #1129 on: September 15, 2020, 03:04:16 AM »
This finally arrived yesterday... so far I've only listened to Commotio, but I find much to admire in Holten's orchestration. It is very skillful, is effective at clarifying the counterpoint in most places, and is sometimes rather Nielsen-like, but always interesting. A couple of the tuttis do sound a bit cheesy to my ears, but overall he gets a lot of mileage from constantly changing instrumental combinations and colours. The performance is quite expressive, something CN might not have approved of in this work, but personally I feel it's a valid approach: this is a great work that can withstand more than one kind of interpretation.

Offline Symphonic Addict

• Veteran member
« Reply #1130 on: September 15, 2020, 03:27:15 PM »
This finally arrived yesterday... so far I've only listened to Commotio, but I find much to admire in Holten's orchestration. It is very skillful, is effective at clarifying the counterpoint in most places, and is sometimes rather Nielsen-like, but always interesting. A couple of the tuttis do sound a bit cheesy to my ears, but overall he gets a lot of mileage from constantly changing instrumental combinations and colours. The performance is quite expressive, something CN might not have approved of in this work, but personally I feel it's a valid approach: this is a great work that can withstand more than one kind of interpretation.

Very nice! I did know I'm not gonna be the only one to find this arrangement stupendous.

Offline krummholz

« Reply #1131 on: September 16, 2020, 06:28:38 AM »
Very nice! I did know I'm not gonna be the only one to find this arrangement stupendous.

I expect not! Personally I wouldn't call it stupendous, but still a keeper, definitely.