The Nielsen Nexus

Started by BachQ, April 12, 2007, 10:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

calyptorhynchus

Quote from: DaveF on January 05, 2021, 06:07:10 AM
I mentioned over on the Unpopular Opinions thread ....

Where's that? I should spend most of my time there.  :D
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Symphonic Addict

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Daverz

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 10, 2021, 11:05:31 AM
A recent expression of casual scorn for the piece set me to re-listen to the Sixth Symphony. I find it brilliant: fearless, quirky, wilful and sure-footed.

Every liner note on the 6th ever has to say something about it being "problematic".  I just ignore this.

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 10, 2021, 11:05:31 AM
A recent expression of casual scorn for the piece set me to re-listen to the Sixth Symphony. I find it brilliant: fearless, quirky, wilful and sure-footed.

Yep, as I stated in the 'Listening' thread, I find it one of his best symphonies. I should revisit it.

DavidW

I never knew that the sixth was anything but well received!  Well I guess that is what I get for not reading liner notes.

71 dB

Quote from: Daverz on April 12, 2021, 06:06:02 PM
Every liner note on the 6th ever has to say something about it being "problematic".  I just ignore this.

It WAS "problematic" the same way Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring was.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Irons

Quote from: DavidW on April 13, 2021, 06:16:24 AM
I never knew that the sixth was anything but well received!  Well I guess that is what I get for not reading liner notes.

Critics often describe it as "quirky" and "problematic". The 6th holds a special place and Ormandy's is the best recording I have heard.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Karl Henning

Tying "problematic" in with "quirky" is problematic.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Irons

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 13, 2021, 01:14:21 PM
Tying "problematic" in with "quirky" is problematic.

Or quirky, even. ;)
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Brahmsian

Based on availability and price combined, I'm trying to narrow down to two symphony cycle sets (both highly recommended by Hurwitz), but also want others' thoughts:

Kuchar - Janacek Philharmonic - Brilliant Classics
Ole Schmidt - London Symphony Orchestra - Alto

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: OrchestralNut on April 14, 2021, 06:49:56 AM
Based on availability and price combined, I'm trying to narrow down to two symphony cycle sets (both highly recommended by Hurwitz), but also want others' thoughts:

Good choices that happen to be my favorites (along with Oramo).

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

MusicTurner

Kuchar is very fine is spite of the low price. Schmidt's set was recorded in a very few days. I'd supplement Kuchar with Bernstein in no.5 (no.3 usually comes along) and maybe then later with other recordings.

DaveF

I would say the "safest" (not meaning unexciting, just generally reliable) is Blomstedt with the San Francisco Symphony.  I wouldn't want to be without Schmidt as it was the first ever complete cycle, I think - I had the LPs back in the late 1970s.  Mixed feelings about Kuchar - I like him especially in the earlier symphonies, but couldn't live with his no.6 and the uncorrected wrong note in the bassoon theme in the finale.  (Yes, I know it's half a second in a 35-minute symphony, but I sit and wait for it from bar 1.  I'm a music editor and librarian, which perhaps explains it.)
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Brahmsian

Thanks for the feedback, folks.  :)

Mirror Image

Neither. I think they're both poorly performed cycles, tbh. What Nielsen symphony cycles do you already own, Ray?

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 14, 2021, 08:59:28 AM
Neither. I think they're both poorly performed cycles, tbh. What Nielsen symphony cycles do you already own, Ray?

I only own the Bostock/Royal Liverpool

Mirror Image

Quote from: OrchestralNut on April 14, 2021, 09:08:31 AM
I only own the Bostock/Royal Liverpool

Yikes! :o Remedy that with Blomstedt/SFSO or Gilbert/NYPO immediately! In fact, I'll send you a PM, so keep a lookout for a new message. :)

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 14, 2021, 09:15:03 AM
Yikes! :o Remedy that with Blomstedt/SFSO or Gilbert/NYPO immediately! In fact, I'll send you a PM, so keep a lookout for a new message. :)

The reason I got the Bostock set, was because it was my first exposure to Nielsen's music, and it was a very affordable 10 disc box set of music that included other works by Nielsen, ranging from the symphonies, concertos, piano music and some vocal music.  :)  That was a number of years ago, at least 5 or 6 years.

MusicTurner

Of course, budget releases have their merits, & you've been introduced to this music & got to know it. There's nothing disastrous in that, and besides, the recordings first heard will often grow a bit on you, even for sentimental reasons, no matter what. In the case of Bostock, he premiered some new editions and forgotten works too. But I'd agree that performance-wise, there is a good deal of more idiomatic stuff out there. Still, identifying differences between recordings is a voyage of discovery - and a quality - in itself.

Mirror Image

Quote from: OrchestralNut on April 14, 2021, 09:22:26 AM
The reason I got the Bostock set, was because it was my first exposure to Nielsen's music, and it was a very affordable 10 disc box set of music that included other works by Nielsen, ranging from the symphonies, concertos, piano music and some vocal music.  :)  That was a number of years ago, at least 5 or 6 years.

Sure, I certainly understand that and can sympathize. Anyway, there's so much more richness to be found in this music and, thankfully, there are many different cycles to choose from.