The Nielsen Nexus

Started by BachQ, April 12, 2007, 10:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Barron

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 27, 2009, 04:31:15 AM
The wind quintet is very likeable, but I agree that it is missing the verve and arc of the symphonies.

But the piano music is great, particularly the Suite and the Chaconne, which do have the arc and verve of the symphonies without trying to imitate an orchestra.

karlhenning

Quote from: Joe Barron on May 27, 2009, 07:51:07 AM
But the piano music is great, particularly the Suite and the Chaconne, which do have the arc and verve of teh symphonies withouth trying to imitate an orchestra.

I do like the piano solo music, too!

karlhenning

The Helios Overture . . . it's like a much-abbreviated impression of the Vaughan Willams Fifth.  (Only speaking musical language, here.)

Dundonnell

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 30, 2009, 04:32:44 AM
The Helios Overture . . . it's like a much-abbreviated impression of the Vaughan Willams Fifth.  (Only speaking musical language, here.)

Would you care to expand on that comparison please, Karl?

karlhenning

Well, it just occurred to me out the blue this morning, Colin.  There's a warmth, and an unhurried character, an impression of being in joyous harmony with nature, which is a broad similarity between the Nielsen overture and the first movement of the RVW.

Dundonnell

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 30, 2009, 05:03:04 AM
Well, it just occurred to me out the blue this morning, Colin.  There's a warmth, and an unhurried character, an impression of being in joyous harmony with nature, which is a broad similarity between the Nielsen overture and the first movement of the RVW.

Both composers were geniuses of course :) Langgaard is not in the same league as Carl ;D

karlhenning

Quote from: Dundonnell on May 30, 2009, 05:05:14 AM
Both composers were geniuses of course :)

Yes, but I was considering simply overall musical character.  Their both being geniuses, is an added bonus.

Quote from: ColinLanggaard is not in the same league as Carl ;D

Oh, in the mood for a food fight, are ye?  ;)

Dundonnell

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 30, 2009, 05:08:06 AM
Yes, but I was considering simply overall musical character.  Their both being geniuses, is an added bonus.

Oh, in the mood for a food fight, are ye?  ;)

I will be safe unless Johan(Jezetha) sees this ;D Although he is recruiting more acolytes from this site :)

karlhenning

Oh, and I need to sit down with the two operas again sometime . . . .

karlhenning

Quote from: Dm on April 12, 2007, 10:16:41 AM
Nielsen's Boyhood Home

Tidier than the Shakespeare house in Stratford  ;D

Satzaroo

When I was a teenager almost fifty years ago, I was fascinated by Nielsen's Violin Concerto. It was on a budget label, I had a so-so stereo console, and I had never heard of the violinist or the orchestra; nonetheless, I delighted in the upbeat melodies in the first and third movements and was entranced by the romantic cadences of the second movement. As an adult, I have not listened to that concerto--in any rendition. I wonder if it would still have the same appeal, or would I have outgrown it?

karlhenning

Quote from: Satzaroo on May 30, 2009, 04:13:24 PM
When I was a teenager almost fifty years ago, I was fascinated by Nielsen's Violin Concerto. It was on a budget label, I had a so-so stereo console, and I had never heard of the violinist or the orchestra; nonetheless, I delighted in the upbeat melodies in the first and third movements and was entranced by the romantic cadences of the second movement. As an adult, I have not listened to that concerto--in any rendition. I wonder if it would still have the same appeal, or would I have outgrown it?

None but yourself can tell! FWIW, I like it very well, and find its tunefulness engaging.

not edward

I'm glad to see the Schonwandt 4 & 5 disc is coming out on Naxos now... time for me to complete the set.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Daverz

Quote from: Satzaroo on May 30, 2009, 04:13:24 PM

It think you'll still find it entrancing.  I wonder if the violinist you heard was Tibor Varga. 

My favorite recording is still Arve Tellefsen with Blomstedt on EMI.

Satzaroo

Daverz, you're right on target--I recognize the "Turnabout" cover. Thanks for the heads up.

karlhenning

Quote from: Daverz on May 31, 2009, 04:33:05 PM
My favorite recording [of the Vn Cto] is still Arve Tellefsen with Blomstedt on EMI.

That is very good, indeed.  I do enjoy the Naxos recording, too . . . Jno. Carney, IIRC

Christo

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 30, 2009, 03:34:00 PM
Tidier than the Shakespeare house in Stratford  ;D

But not unlike the birth house and boyhood home of his contemporary, Estonian composer Rudolf Tobias (1873-1918) on the Baltic island of Hiiumaa (Dagö):

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

I really like the Helios Overture - played it this morning (Erik Tuxen, Royal Danish SO) - really fine historic performance. Any other favourite performances of this work?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

karlhenning

Quote from: vandermolen on June 02, 2009, 03:36:45 AM
I really like the Helios Overture - played it this morning (Erik Tuxen, Royal Danish SO) - really fine historic performance. Any other favourite performances of this work?

There's a nice account on the "concertos-plus" two-fer that Daverz mentions:

Quote from: Daverz on May 31, 2009, 04:33:05 PM
My favorite recording is still Arve Tellefsen with Blomstedt on EMI.

vandermolen

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 02, 2009, 03:44:43 AM
There's a nice account on the "concertos-plus" two-fer that Daverz mentions:

Thanks Karl
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).