The Nielsen Nexus

Started by BachQ, April 12, 2007, 10:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 15, 2012, 01:03:11 PM
Salonen - Sony
Vanksa - BIS

What are these two like, John?

And, I do hope you enjoy the Chung! I remember now hearing an excerpt from his 5th, to be specific, it was the fugue from the finale, which sounded particularly excellent. I'd be interested to know what the whole set overall is like! :)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

The new erato

Quote from: madaboutmahler on May 15, 2012, 01:29:04 PM
I shall be getting this as soon as possible!

[asin]B000M2DNQY[/asin]

My Nielsen collection is rather small, which is surprising considering that he is one of my favourite composers. So I am very keen to expand it.... and this recording has been recommended to me many times now! So I must get! :)
Buy the same box as Karl Henning. For the price of two discs you get this + 5 others.

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on May 15, 2012, 01:31:09 PM
What are these two like, John?

And, I do hope you enjoy the Chung! I remember now hearing an excerpt from his 5th, to be specific, it was the fugue from the finale, which sounded particularly excellent. I'd be interested to know what the whole set overall is like! :)

I liked the Salonen, disliked the Vanska. I can't remember the specifics of why I disliked the Vanska, but it seemed to me the performances weren't that energetic at all. The sound quality was also not as good as some of BIS' other productions, which, to me, was pretty surprising and disappointing.

Mirror Image

Looks like the Gilbert Nielsen cycle is in full-swing now:

[asin]B007VH6HHU[/asin]

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on May 15, 2012, 01:29:04 PM
I shall be getting this as soon as possible!

[asin]B000M2DNQY[/asin]

My Nielsen collection is rather small, which is surprising considering that he is one of my favourite composers. So I am very keen to expand it.... and this recording has been recommended to me many times now! So I must get! :)

Like Erato mentioned, you might as well buy the Dacapo Nielsen box set now. You'll not only have this Dausgaard recording, but also Schonwandt's fine Nielsen symphony cycle (on 4 CDs and 2 DVDs). If I had known Dacapo was coming out with this box set, I would have bought it instead of buying all the recordings individually. Now, you have the advantage of buying the box set.

eyeresist

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 15, 2012, 06:26:20 AMOf course there is the possibility that you simply don't like the symphonies of Nielsen. I have nine cycles. If I only had one, and that one being my least favorite, I would still love the music. Even a bad performance wouldn't change that. That you remain unconvinced, even after so many attempts, says something, I think.

That is the conclusion I have reached for the moment, I'm afraid. I listened through most of the Bostock box yesterday, becoming more and more irritated. Too much coffee didn't help, and Bostock may be partly to blame, but my current impression is that even in his inventive late stage I find Nielsen mostly dull and provincial. He has a small soul!  I'll try again in a couple of years....

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: eyeresist on May 16, 2012, 01:50:38 AM....but my current impression is that even in his inventive late stage I find Nielsen mostly dull and provincial. He has a small soul!

Harsh!

But if that's the way you feel, yes, no point spending more money in a futile attempt to hear what the rest of us hear. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

Quote from: The new erato on May 15, 2012, 01:16:09 PM
I'm waiting for the Danacord box where this is included. Shipped from europadisc in the UK today. :D

Of course! I should have guessed.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: eyeresist on May 16, 2012, 01:50:38 AM
. . . but my current impression is that even in his inventive late stage I find Nielsen mostly dull and provincial.

Well, along with Sarge, I am well content to give you space, and you've certainly made effort.

But on the lines of Benedick's Postulate (Doth not the appetite alter?) . . . at some point, try not by assaying the whole box, but with, say, the Clarinet Concerto (a piece to which I hardly think the descriptors dull or soulless gain any purchase), whcih is particularly good in the Bostock box.

How I think of Nielsen is a little bit like:  If you took Bartók, and removed the paprika and the tendency to Romanticism, and substituted some of Ravel's Swiss watch-making and some salted herring . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

snyprrr

Quote from: karlhenning on May 16, 2012, 04:33:21 AM

How I think of Nielsen is a little bit like:  If you took Bartók, and removed the paprika and the tendency to Romanticism, and substituted some of Ravel's Swiss watch-making and some salted herring . . . .[/font]

good one

Karl Henning

The First Symphony, now . . . if Nielsen had been a one-symphony composer, and this one was it, I probably should not think nearly so highly of him. Or, if he'd written (say) four symphonies, and this was his peak.

But for the first of a set of six: what a jaw-droppingly strong piece!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

DavidW

So favorite cycle now?

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on May 16, 2012, 07:28:31 AM
The First Symphony, now . . . if Nielsen had been a one-symphony composer, and this one was it, I probably should not think nearly so highly of him. Or, if he'd written (say) four symphonies, and this was his peak.

But for the first of a set of six: what a jaw-droppingly strong piece!

Yeah, I remember Symphony No. 1 being very good for a first symphony. I think Nielsen was 22 or 23 years old when he composed it. I'm getting a kick out of Nielsen's non-symphonic works too like Imaginary Journey to the Faroe Islands, Helios Overture, Pan and Syrinx, the concerti, and Saga-drom. What cool works. When my Chung set arrives, I'm definitely going to be in a Nielsen phase.

Mirror Image

Quote from: DavidW on May 16, 2012, 07:38:20 AM
So favorite cycle now?

Don't know if you're talking to me, but, right now, mine are Blomstedt (Decca) and Schonwandt.

Karl Henning

So favorite cycle now?

The front rank is stiff with good ones! I've not yet finished my first survey through the Schønwandt, but that box is close to obligatory.  My ears' fondness for Blomstedt/SFSO and Thomson/RSO is undimmed.  Schmidt/LSO is not far behind.  I've not yet dug into the Bostock symphonies.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Sergeant Rock

So favorite cycle now?

Bernstein/Ormandy on the strength of their 2, 3, 5, and 6, followed by Kuchar and Schmidt. I have nine cycles. Haven't heard much of Chung/Järvi and none of Thomson's.

Sarge

Mirror Image

Quote from: eyeresist on May 16, 2012, 01:50:38 AM
That is the conclusion I have reached for the moment, I'm afraid. I listened through most of the Bostock box yesterday, becoming more and more irritated. Too much coffee didn't help, and Bostock may be partly to blame, but my current impression is that even in his inventive late stage I find Nielsen mostly dull and provincial. He has a small soul!  I'll try again in a couple of years....

One of the things I admire about Nielsen, besides the inventiveness of his melodies, harmonies, and rhythms,  is how structurally sound his music is. One wrong or misplaced note and the whole structure is screwed up! I admire his sense of 'symphonic architecture' for lack of a better term. If you don't care for his music, then nobody can really help you. Don't worry I've had the same reaction with a lot of composers most notably Holmboe and Weinberg. Their music does absolutely nothing for me. Nielsen was also known for his 'progressive tonality' which means starting in one key and ending in another if I can summarize it. This is why every symphony after the first isn't given a key. Anyway, he's a fascinating composer and one that I always end up returning to time and time again.

DieNacht

Chung is very good in Symphonies 2 & 3, my preferred recordings of those.

Mirror Image

Quote from: DieNacht on May 16, 2012, 08:04:12 AM

I'm looking forward to hearing these. I've heard nothing but good things about all of Chung's Nielsen performances.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: DieNacht on May 16, 2012, 08:04:12 AM

Agree about 3 (the only one I've heard). It doesn't quite displace my favorites but it's definitely a great Espansiva.

Sarge