The Nielsen Nexus

Started by BachQ, April 12, 2007, 10:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Brahmsian

I've been really digging (first listens) to some of Nielsen's solo piano music.  Terrific music!

Karl Henning

Quote from: ChamberNut on August 12, 2013, 03:00:11 PM
I've been really digging (first listens) to some of Nielsen's solo piano music.  Terrific music!

Yes! Especially the Chaconne.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

The new erato

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on August 10, 2013, 04:58:30 PM
I'm looking for a recommendation for a CD or two of Nielsen's songs. What is the best recital (in terms of which songs and best singing) available? NB must have the lyrics and translations.
There's not many. DaCapo has an Inga Nielsen (IIRC) disc that is good and very well documented. It has been seen on various sales the last years, I bought mine around 2 years ago for around 5 £ on a Danish music buying binge.

calyptorhynchus

Thanks Erato, I'll give it a try.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Brahmsian

Having me a some Nielsen!  :)

Nielsen

Aladdin Suite
Symphonic Rhapsody
Overture "Helios", Op. 17
Cupid and the Poet: Orchestral Suite
Paraphrase on "Nearer, My God, To Thee"

Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra
Douglas Bostock, conducting

Piano Music

Five Piano Pieces, Op. 17
Symphonic Suite, Op. 8
Humoresque Bagatelles, Op. 11
Festive Prelude
Drommen Om "Glade Jul"
Chaconne, Op. 32
Theme with Variations, Op. 40

Anne Oland, piano

Membran Music

[asin]B005NKS2TS[/asin]

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

vandermolen

I have not heard a better performance of Nielsen's 5th Symphony, arguably one of the very greatest symphonies of the 20th Symphony. In particular the climax of the first movement, with its dramatically anarchic rogue side drum, has never sounded more exciting and the resolution of the first movement has a sense of triumphant catharsis unlike any other recorded performance known to me ( and I have multiple copies of this work). The woodwind solos are beautifully realised throughout the disc and this is one of the most exciting Nielsen discs known to me. Initially I was a little underwhelmed at the start of the tragic and enigmatic 6th Symphony and I felt a lack of urgency compared to my favourite Ormandy version but as the tragic first movement developed I became increasingly moved. I think that the first movement of the Sixth Symphony is perhaps Nielsen's finest creation. In my view this symphony is worthy to stand alongside the most tragic utterances of Shostakovich. A wonderful disc, beautifully performed and recorded:
[asin]B00R3UHREM[/asin]
Orchestra is the New York Philharmonic conducted by Alan Gilbert (live performances)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on March 19, 2015, 02:07:31 PM
I have not heard a better performance of Nielsen's 5th Symphony, arguably one of the very greatest symphonies of the 20th Symphony. In particular the climax of the first movement, with its dramatically anarchic rogue side drum, has never sounded more exciting and the resolution of the first movement has a sense of triumphant catharsis unlike any other recorded performance known to me ( and I have multiple copies of this work). The woodwind solos are beautifully realised throughout the disc and this is one of the most exciting Nielsen discs known to me. Initially I was a little underwhelmed at the start of the tragic and enigmatic 6th Symphony and I felt a lack of urgency compared to my favourite Ormandy version but as the tragic first movement developed I became increasingly moved. I think that the first movement of the Sixth Symphony is perhaps Nielsen's finest creation. In my view this symphony is worthy to stand alongside the most tragic utterances of Shostakovich. A wonderful disc, beautifully performed and recorded:
[asin]B00R3UHREM[/asin]
Orchestra is the New York Philharmonic conducted by Alan Gilbert (live performances)

I still have this recording sitting in the to-listen-to pile. Will definitely give it a listen this weekend. Thanks for the report. 8)

vandermolen

8)
Quote from: Mirror Image on March 19, 2015, 09:31:18 PM
I still have this recording sitting in the to-listen-to pile. Will definitely give it a listen this weekend. Thanks for the report. 8)

Let us know what you think John.  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

DaveF

A bump for his 150th birthday tomorrow, and a link: http://www.carlnielsen.org/en to a site including lots of pictures I'd never seen before - including one of the great man knitting!
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Mirror Image

Thanks for the link! That's a great site.

Moonfish

Nielsen:
Symphony No 4
Helios Overture

Chicago SO/Martinon

Intriguing! The Helios Overture is a graceful experience full of light and reverence so I had to listen to it twice!  :)  I think I need some more time with the 4th, but it definitely had a unique soundscape. I really liked Nielsen's vision of nature and man in relation to this work as put forward on the back cover.  Very primal!

"I have an idea for a new composition, which has no programme but will express what we understand by the spirit of life or manifestations of life, that is: everything that moves, that wants to live ... just life and motion, though varied – very varied – yet connected, and as if constantly on the move, in one big movement or stream. I must have a word or a short title to express this; that will be enough. I cannot quite explain what I want, but what I want is good." [Wikipedia]

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

I have to ask you, Peter: is this your first foray into Nielsen's music?

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 20, 2015, 08:37:52 PM
I have to ask you, Peter: is this your first foray into Nielsen's music?

No, but it was a year or two ago. At that point I was not very excited about it. This time I felt quite different with the 4th (and especially with the Helios Overture).  Perhaps it is extended exposure to more compositions from the 20th century? 8)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on June 20, 2015, 09:51:47 PM
No, but it was a year or two ago. At that point I was not very excited about it. This time I felt quite different with the 4th (and especially with the Helios Overture).  Perhaps it is extended exposure to more compositions from the 20th century? 8)

That's quite interesting. Nielsen was one of the first composers that I got into (along with Sibelius). In fact, I discovered Nielsen at the same time I discovered Sibelius, which I suppose is quite a natural progression as it really does seem one leads to another. They are the two top Nordic composers of their time and obviously still have quite a foothold in the musical world. Yes, I think you being more and more exposed to other 20th Century composers has allowed you to come back around to Nielsen with 'different ears.' This has happened with me on numerous occasions with Holmboe perhaps being the greatest example.

So what works of Nielsen's are you going to explore next?

Karl Henning

The symphonies didn't grab me the first time I listened to them.  (Same story with the RVW symphonies, FWIW.)  Years later, they clicked with me, big time.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Strange how different we all are. I took to Nielsen's symphonies pretty easily, but when it came to Sibelius I did struggle a bit at first even though nothing was ever displeasing to me. I just didn't understand his musical language yet. RVW clicked with me instantly, although I do recall having some problems with the 4th symphony.

Karl Henning

It's a bit of a puzzle to me, as well;  for I had played the Clarinet Concerto, so I already had a high opinion of Nielsen.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on June 21, 2015, 06:22:56 AM
It's a bit of a puzzle to me, as well;  for I had played the Clarinet Concerto, so I already had a high opinion of Nielsen.

Well, his concerti are different beasts altogether. His musical language in his symphonies does take some time to sink in. Even though I mentioned I had no problems with his symphonies, the only one that through me through a loop was the 6th. Now, I think a good deal of this symphony and appreciate it even more. His symphonic swan song.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on March 19, 2015, 11:52:03 PM
8)
Let us know what you think John.  :)

Better late than never. ;) I didn't enjoy Gilbert's cycle that much. I thought many of the performances were 'forced' sounding and Gilbert really didn't make much of a difference on the podium. I felt that he simply was 'going through the motions' and didn't add anything to the music interpretatively. As for more recent cycles, Oramo is my man in Nielsen. Outstanding cycle from him.