The Nielsen Nexus

Started by BachQ, April 12, 2007, 10:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 21, 2015, 07:14:06 AM
Chung's one of my favorites. I own these. Favorites in bold. Oramo I haven't heard. Still debating whether, at my age, I need another Espansiva  ;D

Rozhdestvensky    12:44  11:06  7:06  11:04
Schmidt              12:06  10:13  6:37   9:30
Horenstein            12:04   9:57   7:33   9:59
Saraste                 12:03   8:46   5:49   9:36
Schonwandt          11:44   9:34   6:21   9:36
Bernstein            11:37   9:50   6:26   9:28
Davis                    11:28   7:26   6:29   9:18
Gilbert                  11.24   9:12   6:36  10:03
Kuchar                11:19   9:41   6:35    9:16
Salonen               11:15   9:37   6:43  10:22
Chung                 11:07  10:00  6:41    9:17
Berglund               11:00   8:21   6:19   9:33
Frandsen             10:55   8:05   6:04   8:47
Bostock               10:37    9:14   6:14   9:39
Blomstedt             10:35    9:07   6:21   9:18

Sarge

I see that Thomson's Espansiva is missing from your list, Sarge. Do you own his cycle? I just finished buying the two recordings I was missing from this cycle tonight. Can't wait to hear what he does with Nielsen as I've loved his RVW and Martinu for years.

Moonfish

For some reason I really love this photo of Nielsen and his family (and the art on the wall!)!   0:)

"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on July 29, 2015, 08:46:33 PM
For some reason I really love this photo of Nielsen and his family (and the art on the wall!)!   0:)

A cool photo indeed. 8)

amw

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on July 25, 2015, 07:18:15 AM
GMG'rs...So what is you favorite of the 6 symphonies? And why? Favorite performance?
For me the Sixth (along with the two wind concerti), with its stripped-down aesthetic that carries Nielsen's idiosyncratic style to its extremes, and the way it sets off its moments of heartbreak, passion and sheer insanity. Then the Third for its effortless nobility and grandeur. I haven't really considered getting alternate performances (though I did pick up Schønwandt due to not liking Blomstedt's way with the Third, and it has been more satisfactory but not totally so.)

Mirror Image

Quote from: amw on July 29, 2015, 09:32:44 PM
For me the Sixth (along with the two wind concerti), with its stripped-down aesthetic that carries Nielsen's idiosyncratic style to its extremes, and the way it sets off its moments of heartbreak, passion and sheer insanity. Then the Third for its effortless nobility and grandeur. I haven't really considered getting alternate performances (though I did pick up Schønwandt due to not liking Blomstedt's way with the Third, and it has been more satisfactory but not totally so.)

Try Oramo, Bernstein, or Chung in the Espansiva.

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 29, 2015, 06:27:52 AM
I guess I just decided it was high time I sit down and try to understand his music better. Again, I've always liked his music, but I didn't love it. After I rekindled my love for Sibelius, I was constantly listening to Nielsen and, I don't know, I just got into his music and finally understood it better. Reading about his life also gave me a whole new appreciation for him, which is something I never had done before. When I bought the Oramo cycle on BIS, this also helped cement this love of his music. I was then able to go back to older performances and get even more enjoyment out of them.

I have to say I don't know much about Nielsen's life. I don't seem to need that to enjoy his music.

I'm not a big Sibelius fan and I have always been pissed of about the fact Sibelius is considered much more important composer than Nielsen all over the world.

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 29, 2015, 06:27:52 AMI'm not sure if I can answer this question accurately, but I will say all great artists challenge you and bend your ears in new directions. Sometimes the attraction is immediate and sometimes it's not. I suppose it all depends on how receptive you are of the music.

Accurate answers don't necessarily exist to these questions. Preconception can make us less receptive. In Nielsen's case the attraction was immediate: Hearing the fourth symphony for the first time on radio blew me away.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

The new erato

Quote from: 71 dB on July 30, 2015, 02:37:46 AM
I have to say I don't know much about Nielsen's life. I don't seem to need that to enjoy his music.
I read his self biography (borrowed from the local University library) called "Mitt liv" IIRC (aka My life) and remember it as a very good read.  I think I read it in Danish (no problem for a Norwegian) and have no idea if it is available in English translation.

Karl Henning

Quote from: amw on July 29, 2015, 09:32:44 PM

Nice thumbnails of the two symphonies.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

That's perfectly fair.

Quote from: PojuI'm not a big Sibelius fan and I have always been pissed of about the fact Sibelius is considered much more important composer than Nielsen all over the world.

Well, as we've often discussed around GMG, "importance" is problematic.  (Was Nielsen at all an "important" composer?  I don't know that he was . . . certainly of importance to, e.g., Holmboe and Langgaard.  And I'd say that his Clarinet Concerto is perhaps the most important for the instrument after Mozart, and an important model for Corigliano.)

We all find value and beauty in the work of lesser-known composer.  It's really a bit of a hang-up, I think, to "resent" the fame of justly-famous composers.  Well, my opinion, is all.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

I'm not a big Sibelius fan and I have always been pissed off about the fact Sibelius is considered much more important composer than Nielsen all over the world.

Accurate answers don't necessarily exist to these questions. Preconception can make us less receptive. In Nielsen's case the attraction was immediate: Hearing the fourth symphony for the first time on radio blew me away.

We're all wired differently and respond to music in our own ways. All I'm saying is Nielsen took a little bit more work for me to finally crack. I think being pissed off about Sibelius' 'fame' is borderline ridiculous. Does knowing Beethoven was more influential than Brahms hinder your enjoyment of either composers' music? No, I don't think it would and, if it did, that would be a wrong-headed view to uphold. This said, Nielsen was an important composer and just because Sibelius may get mentioned more often doesn't mean that he was a third-rate composer.

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on July 30, 2015, 04:32:21 AM(Was Nielsen at all an "important" composer?  I don't know that he was . . . certainly of importance to, e.g., Holmboe and Langgaard.

Let's not forget Robert Simpson as well who was really inspired by Nielsen. I still haven't read his book on the composer (yet).

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 29, 2015, 07:12:03 PM
I see that Thomson's Espansiva is missing from your list, Sarge. Do you own his cycle?

I do not. I'm thinking about purchasing a download (something I rarely do) of 3.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 30, 2015, 06:23:27 AM
I do not. I'm thinking about purchasing a download (something I rarely do) of 3.

Sarge

The recording of Thomson's with Symphonies 3 & 5 can be bought for €14.59 through Chandos' site. Considering it's OOP, this is a good price and it's a real CD and not a CD-R.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 30, 2015, 06:06:44 AM
Let's not forget Robert Simpson as well who was really inspired by Nielsen.

I had forgotten, because he is nearly completely off my radar  :)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 30, 2015, 06:31:00 AM
The recording of Thomson's with Symphonies 3 & 5 can be bought for €14.59 through Chandos' site. Considering it's OOP, this is a good price and it's a real CD and not a CD-R.

I got the Thomson set early on, and . . . all I can say with fairness to all the parties is, I do not carry any particular recollection of it (beyond the obvious musical competency of both band and director).  I shall listen to the Espansiva from that set this afternoon.

Separately . . . not the most convenient for our Sarge, but there's a Used—Very Good copy for $6.66 plus sh/h available from a good third-party seller in Maine.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 30, 2015, 06:31:00 AM

Quote from: karlhenning on July 30, 2015, 06:43:51 AM
Separately . . . not the most convenient for our Sarge, but there's a Used—Very Good copy for $6.66 plus sh/h available from a good third-party seller in Maine.

Thanks for your suggestions. The reason I'm thinking download is simply to test it first before I consider adding another CD to the massive hoard I already don't have room for  ;)

Sarge

Mirror Image

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 30, 2015, 07:14:40 AM
Thanks for your suggestions. The reason I'm thinking download is simply to test it first before I consider adding another CD to the massive hoard I already don't have room for  ;)

Sarge

Here's your chance, Sarge:

https://www.youtube.com/v/cEBs9_Q4t-s

Sergeant Rock

Mirror Image

You're welcome, Sarge. 8)

Here's Thomson in The Inextinguishable:

https://www.youtube.com/v/fg0RXjjalAw

Karl Henning

Quote from: karlhenning on July 30, 2015, 06:43:51 AM
I got the Thomson set early on, and . . . all I can say with fairness to all the parties is, I do not carry any particular recollection of it (beyond the obvious musical competency of both band and director).  I shall listen to the Espansiva from that set this afternoon.

I really like Catherine Bott in the Andante pastorale;  hers may be my favorite soprano tone in the various recordings I've heard.

Thomson has a curious purposefulness in parts of the Andante pastorale, and I am not sure how I feel about that.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA