The Nielsen Nexus

Started by BachQ, April 12, 2007, 10:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

Rozhdestvensky's mostly broader paced take on Nielsen works wonders on No.2 and especially No.5. In fact, it might be the best 5th I've listened to. To me, No.5 is the Nielsen symphony that benefits the most from Rozhdestvensky's approach. There's more time for the music to breath and develop, and that's a huge advantage for this wonderful piece.
The entire set is very well done, but my only quibble is the 4th's finale, it just doesn't carry the intensity that I prefer. But overall it's a winner, and will contrast nicely to rest of my Nielsen collection.

[asin]B0006AZPZY[/asin]

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 04, 2015, 07:56:36 PM
Rozhdestvensky's mostly broader paced take on Nielsen works wonders on No.2 and especially No.5. In fact, it might be the best 5th I've listened to. To me, No.5 is the Nielsen symphony that benefits the most from Rozhdestvensky's approach. There's more time for the music to breath and develop, and that's a huge advantage for this wonderful piece.
The entire set is very well done, but my only quibble is the 4th's finale, it just doesn't carry the intensity that I prefer. But overall it's a winner, and will contrast nicely to rest of my Nielsen collection.

[asin]B0006AZPZY[/asin]

Good to read, Greg. If I recall, I enjoyed Rozhdestvensky's 3rd and 6th a good bit, but I haven't listened to any of his cycle in ages. It's quite difficult to beat Blomstedt/SFSO and Chung/Gothenburg SO in the 2nd and Blomstedt/SFSO and Martinon/CSO in the 4th. For the 6th, I have yet to hear anyone better Oramo/Royal Stockholm PO. It seems his vision of the symphony holds together the best and he keeps a steady narrative going, which isn't always easy in the 6th.  The 1st is also handled extremely well by Oramo. The 3rd and 5th are still Bernstein's, although there have been several great performances of both of these symphonies (Oramo, Chung in the 3rd and Blomstedt/SFSO, Schonwandt/Danish NSO in the 5th). Anyway, that's my two measly cents. ;)

TheGSMoeller

Pulled this from Wikipedia about the final movement from Symphony No. 2...

I have tried to sketch a man who storms thoughtlessly forward in the belief that the whole world belongs to him, that fried pigeons will fly into his mouth without work or bother. There is, though, a moment in which something scares him, and he gasps all at once for breath in rough syncopations: but this is soon forgotten, and even if the music turns to minor, his cheery, rather superficial nature still asserts itself.

I never have read too much on the composition history of "The Four Temperaments", but was really pleased after seeing this as I've been fascinated with the sudden atmospheric shift musically midway through the movement. The four movements create quite a contrast and again I really like how Rozhdestvensky takes his time with this one.
I also have Blomstedt (which isn't as complete sounding after hearing Rozhdestvensky), Glibert and Oramo. Any other Temperament recs? Perhaps Chung? Who offers a compelling Espansiva.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 06, 2015, 05:23:57 PM

I have tried to sketch a man who storms thoughtlessly forward in the belief that the whole world belongs to him, that fried pigeons will fly into his mouth without work or bother. There is, though, a moment in which something scares him, and he gasps all at once for breath in rough syncopations: but this is soon forgotten, and even if the music turns to minor, his cheery, rather superficial nature still asserts itself.

I never have read too much on the composition history of "The Four Temperaments", but was really pleased after seeing this as I've been fascinated with the sudden atmospheric shift musically midway through the movement. The four movements create quite a contrast and again I really like how Rozhdestvensky takes his time with this one.
I also have Blomstedt (which isn't as complete sounding after hearing Rozhdestvensky), Glibert and Oramo. Any other Temperament recs? Perhaps Chung? Who offers a compelling Espansiva.

Yes, The Four Temperaments is a very good symphony. I like Chung's and Bernstein's in addition to Blomstedt's (SFSO).

amw

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on August 06, 2015, 05:23:57 PM

I do love the image of fried pigeons flying directly into the dude's mouth. To me, that last movement always sounded a lot like a small, floppy-eared dog that's been allowed outside for the first time in the day. Constant running around everywhere well beyond the capacity of any accompanying humans to keep up with him, demanding everyone throw tennis balls for him to catch, briefly getting all contemplative and lying down in the sun to contemplate dog philosophy or something, then being distracted by I dunno, a squirrel or something and jumping right back into action. Eventually, he runs out of energy and marches back home in an incredibly dignified manner (apart from the occasional stop to sniff a fire hydrant or tree or something).

Nielsen said the second movement (I think?) was a portrait of a lazy spoiled teenager, loved by everyone, who skips school all the time to relax near the water or whatever. I imagine that the thematically related third movement is the same teenager's reaction to being grounded by his parents for doing so. "My parents are so dumb and will never truly understand me! I'm going to dye my hair black and write poetry about death"

Mirror Image

I try not to put too much into what a composer says about one of their compositions as everyone will feel something completely different whenever they listen to the music.

James The 1st

I only started listening to Nielsen's symphonies recently and dang they are good. The 5th is really good, I wish the local orchestra would play it, because hearing live would be awesome.

Mirror Image

Quote from: James The 1st on August 13, 2015, 09:27:30 PM
I only started listening to Nielsen's symphonies recently and dang they are good. The 5th is really good, I wish the local orchestra would play it, because hearing live would be awesome.

Yeah, the 5th is a fantastic work no question about it. I would say all of the symphonies make a strong case for Nielsen. One symphony which seems to puzzle people is the 6th ("Sinfonia Semplice"). I love the quirkiness of it, but there are several moments of introspective beauty and I would say some personal 'confession' or perhaps some kind of sigh of relief. Anyway, it's good meet another Nielsenite. 8) Oh...and welcome aboard! Never seen you here before.

relm1

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 07, 2015, 06:17:58 PM
I try not to put too much into what a composer says about one of their compositions as everyone will feel something completely different whenever they listen to the music.
As a composer, I don't put much weight in what someone says in the forum. I trust what I feel about their post instead.

Mirror Image

Quote from: relm1 on August 15, 2015, 01:10:57 AM
As a composer, I don't put much weight in what someone says in the forum.

Then why post here? ???

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 15, 2015, 06:25:24 AM
Then why post here? ???

I don't think you got relm1's jokey analogy. Read it again carefully.  ;)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on August 15, 2015, 06:40:45 AM
I don't think you got relm1's jokey analogy. Read it again carefully.  ;)

:D

Mirror Image

Anyway, back to Nielsen...

Has anyone heard this?

The idea of Barbirolli conducting Nielsen's Inextinguishable sounds good on paper, but does the performance hold up? That's the question.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 15, 2015, 06:58:42 AM
Anyway, back to Nielsen...

Has anyone heard this?

The idea of Barbirolli conducting Nielsen's Inextinguishable sounds good on paper, but does the performance hold up? That's the question.

I was blown away by his Sibelius set, which I was not expecting. And I would love to hear his take on Nielsen. Let us know, John.

Brahmsian

Nielsen's various piano pieces is what I seem to come back to most often.   :)  They are remarkable!

Karl Henning

Glad you enjoy them as much as do I, mon cher!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Camphy

Carl Nielsen is composer of the week at BBC Radio 3:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006tnxf

Amazon.de lists a new recording of the symphonies by Paavo Järvi & the Frankfurt Radio Symphony Orchestra on RCA, scheduled for a release in December.

Mirror Image

Too bad the cycle is with Paavo. I mean he's a pretty good conductor, but he's someone who I have felt has stretched themselves a bit thin by covering so many composers instead of focusing on a select group. A lot of conductors champion certain composers as well, I wonder who Jarvi has championed? Arvo Part? Perhaps.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 27, 2015, 07:32:08 AM
I wonder who Jarvi has championed?

He champions the one he's sees in the mirror.

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 27, 2015, 07:32:08 AM
Too bad the cycle is with Paavo. I mean he's a pretty good conductor, but he's someone who I have felt has stretched themselves a bit thin by covering so many composers instead of focusing on a select group. A lot of conductors champion certain composers as well, I wonder who Jarvi has championed? Arvo Part? Perhaps.
Well if you look at his Cincinnati Symphony series on Telarc, you get a good idea. He's brought that orchestra to Martinu, Tubin, and Tuur.

Also, on the whole, Paavo is a far better conductor than his father, with a better track record. I don't like his Poulenc, but that's the only real "miss" of his that I've heard so far. Whereas Daddy Jarvi would conduct literally anything post-Liszt, provided he didn't need to show a feel for it.