The Nielsen Nexus

Started by BachQ, April 12, 2007, 10:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 19, 2016, 04:27:36 PM
Excellent! How's the audio quality?
1960 recording and my stereo is not especially hi-fi. Also I have to listen to it at a fairly low volume or my wife instructs me to turn it down  ::). I'll listen again later and report back John. Seems fine though.

Added later. The recording is fine (live concert) from my point of view.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 20, 2016, 12:14:59 AM
1960 recording and my stereo is not especially hi-fi. Also I have to listen to it at a fairly low volume or my wife instructs me to turn it down  ::). I'll listen again later and report back John. Seems fine though.

Added later. The recording is fine (live concert) from my point of view.

Alright, thanks for the feedback, Jeffrey. 8)

Karl Henning

We all have to turn it down, else our wives instruct us so  0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Quote from: karlhenning on May 20, 2016, 06:18:01 AM
We all have to turn it down, else our wives instruct us so  0:)
:D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

I just bought the August 2015 issue of BBC Music Magazine and Nielsen is the 'Composer of the Month'. I really wish he was the cover feature as Sibelius was on the cover in the February 2015 issue.

vandermolen

I just bought the old BBC Radio Classics CD of Barbirolli conducting Sibelius Symphony 5 and Nielsen Symphony 4 (live concerts) and all for under £1.00!  :)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 20, 2016, 09:06:57 AM
I just bought the old BBC Radio Classics CD of Barbirolli conducting Sibelius Symphony 5 and Nielsen Symphony 4 (live concerts) and all for under £1.00!  :)

Very good. What are the performance dates?

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 20, 2016, 06:26:42 PM
Very good. What are the performance dates?
1968 (Sibelius)
1965 (Nielsen)

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 20, 2016, 10:42:53 PM
1968 (Sibelius)
1965 (Nielsen)

Thanks a lot! I wonder if that Nielsen 4th is the same as this one?

This is the only Barbirolli recording I own of his Nielsen.

Mirror Image

Quote from: DaveF on January 30, 2016, 08:36:14 AM
I don't think this

[asin]B000000A8O[/asin]

Cross-posted from the 'Purchases' thread:

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 21, 2016, 06:23:02 AM
Just bought:

I've been eyeballing both of these recordings for quite some time. I had to give a good bit for the Gibson recording of Nielsen's Inextinguishable, but the recording of the 5th was rather cheap.

I look forward to hearing both of these recordings. I recall that Jeffrey had good things to say about Gibson's Nielsen as well.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 21, 2016, 05:50:56 AM
Thanks a lot! I wonder if that Nielsen 4th is the same as this one?

This is the only Barbirolli recording I own of his Nielsen.
I don't think so John. I think that the BBC version is live and the EMI that you have is a studio recording although I may be wrong.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 21, 2016, 09:50:41 AM
I don't think so John. I think that the BBC version is live and the EMI that you have is a studio recording although I may be wrong.

I believe you're right, Jeffrey. That Barbirolli 5th is tugging at me right now. I don't really need it but seeing as Nielsen is one of my favorites I'm finding it hard to resist at the moment. :)

Mirror Image

Here's a fair question for my fellow Nielsenites, how is the Bostock cycle of Nielsen's symphonies? How do they compare with say some of my favorites like Bernstein, Blomstedt, Oramo, Chung, Rozhdestvensky, Gilbert, etc.?

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 22, 2016, 05:18:45 AM
Here's a fair question for my fellow Nielsenites, how is the Bostock cycle of Nielsen's symphonies? How do they compare with say some of my favorites like Bernstein, Blomstedt, Oramo, Chung, Rozhdestvensky, Gilbert, etc.?
Oddly enough the Bostock version of symphonies 2 and 5 was in the post box when I returned from being away for the weekend so I will be listening to it immediately after Saint Saens Piano Concerto No.2 ends and report back.  :)
I think that you'll have to have the Barbirolli Nielsen 5 John  >:D ( I'm aware you like modern recordings so I guess that could be a drawer back for you although it did not spoil my enjoyment at all and added to the sense of occasion. Yes, I like Alexander Gibson's Sibelius and Nielsen recordings and find him to be like Bryden Thomson an underrated conductor. I like his version of Vaughan Williams's Symphony 5 for example, which is not generally praised.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 22, 2016, 11:58:48 AM
Oddly enough the Bostock version of symphonies 2 and 5 was in the post box when I returned from being away for the weekend so I will be listening to it immediately after Saint Saens Piano Concerto No.2 ends and report back.  :)
I think that you'll have to have the Barbirolli Nielsen 5 John  >:D ( I'm aware you like modern recordings so I guess that could be a drawer back for you although it did not spoil my enjoyment at all and added to the sense of occasion. Yes, I like Alexander Gibson's Sibelius and Nielsen recordings and find him to be like Bryden Thomson an underrated conductor. I like his version of Vaughan Williams's Symphony 5 for example, which is not generally praised.

Thanks, Jeffrey. I look forward to your report on the Bostock. In the meantime, I've got to do some catch up with Thomson's Nielsen. Do you like Thomson's cycle? How would you rank in comparison with some your own favorites?

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 22, 2016, 12:03:53 PM
Thanks, Jeffrey. I look forward to your report on the Bostock. In the meantime, I've got to do some catch up with Thomson's Nielsen. Do you like Thomson's cycle? How would you rank in comparison with some your own favorites?
I do like it John but it's a while since I listened to it. I like his Martinu, Bax and Vaughan Williams cycles too. Bostock Nielsen Symphony 5 is now on the CD player. The opening seems v fast to me which robs it IMHO of that sense of urgent expectation which I love in this symphony - will report back after I've heard the whole symphony.

Added later: I enjoyed the performance John, especially that of the second movement. I would have liked the anarchic side-drummer to be more closely miked (as on the old Horenstein Unicorn version). Overall a strong performance but I suspect that I'll go back to the Barbirolli more often as it has a greater sense of urgency. Did you know that the Bostock cycle is available in a super-cheapo 'Karl Nielsen, Danish Symphonist' boxed set?

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 22, 2016, 12:11:42 PM
I do like it John but it's a while since I listened to it. I like his Martinu, Bax and Vaughan Williams cycles too. Bostock Nielsen Symphony 5 is now on the CD player. The opening seems v fast to me which robs it IMHO of that sense of urgent expectation which I love in this symphony - will report back after I've heard the whole symphony.

Added later: I enjoyed the performance John, especially that of the second movement. I would have liked the anarchic side-drummer to be more closely miked (as on the old Horenstein Unicorn version). Overall a strong performance but I suspect that I'll go back to the Barbirolli more often as it has a greater sense of urgency. Did you know that the Bostock cycle is available in a super-cheapo 'Karl Nielsen, Danish Symphonist' boxed set?

Thank you for your feedback regarding that Bostock recording. Yes, I've known of that box set you speak of (Carl Nielsen: Danish Symphonist), but I've read some discouraging things about the audio quality as well in Bostock's cycle (too much forward placement of the orchestra and not enough weight and space given for the music to breathe). This said, I find it hard to believe that any new performance I hear of his 5th will top Bernstein's (my all-time favorite). I mean I know there's a lot to be said of someone who keeps an open-mind, but Bernstein's bracing account is implanted into my memory and I find it hard to forget, but I'll definitely be getting the Barbirolli at some point.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 22, 2016, 01:07:26 PM
Thank you for your feedback regarding that Bostock recording. Yes, I've known of that box set you speak of (Carl Nielsen: Danish Symphonist), but I've read some discouraging things about the audio quality as well in Bostock's cycle (too much forward placement of the orchestra and not enough weight and space given for the music to breathe). This said, I find it hard to believe that any new performance I hear of his 5th will top Bernstein's (my all-time favorite). I mean I know there's a lot to be said of someone who keeps an open-mind, but Bernstein's bracing account is implanted into my memory and I find it hard to forget, but I'll definitely be getting the Barbirolli at some point.
I have the Bernstein too - it is excellent. It is in a Sony set featuring Ormandy's recording of Symphony 6 which is IMHO the greatest one I know of that symphony. My brother likes No.6 best of all and 5 least of all. 5,6,4 are my favourites.