Recordings for lute and related instruments

Started by Que, March 29, 2008, 02:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 06, 2023, 08:09:03 AMIs this one of the recordings from that CD?  If so, I quite liked what I heard.  Beautiful looking instrument too; I wonder how old it is?

PD

I don't think it is on the CD actually.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on January 08, 2018, 09:40:55 PM

When I first started to listen to classical music I remember a friend saying to me that the sign of a great musician is that he can play silence. (We were talking about the first movement of Klemperer's Brahms 1!)

If that's right, then Toyohiko Satoh proves himself to be a great musician in this recording of music by Esaias Reusner. For once this music does not purr contentedly and sleepily in the background, it jolts gently. And between every  phrase is a vision of eternity - just enough silence to reflect on the sound of one hand clapping. I don't think it's racist to say that Satoh's Reusner is Zen.

And it's Zen like a Japanese garden too: minimal, controlled, expressive. The music is laid bare, it's essence is exposed .

Satoh resolves paradoxes: he is both dancing and contemplative at the same time. Dances for the soul.

The instruments is old (1611) and fabulous and works in the music.

Reusner, by the way, is very like Froberger I'd say.  And Satoh's lute would appeal to people who have a predilection for harpsichord. What I'm trying to say is that this is a recording harpsichordphile lutophobes may like.

I've just realised one of the reasons why this recording may be so special. Reusner published two collections of music - Delitiae testudinis (1667) and Neue Lauten-Früchte (1676) This recording by Satoh is (I think) dedicated to Neue Lauten-Früchte, and indeed it may be the only one which has any music from it at all.

atardecer

Been listening to some Kapsberger today after hearing some toccatas and galliards by him on the radio earlier.

"In this metallic age of barbarians, only a relentless cultivation of our ability to dream, to analyze and to captivate can prevent our personality from degenerating into nothing or else into a personality like all the rest." - Fernando Pessoa

Que

Quote from: atardecer on November 13, 2023, 08:38:46 PMBeen listening to some Kapsberger today after hearing some toccatas and galliards by him on the radio earlier.

That O'Dette recording is particularly successful!

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on July 01, 2021, 08:22:32 AMThe nice thing about the Rainer Cd is that the music was completely unknown until Eisenhardt found it, and I think that sense of joy in discovery, of being a pioneer, helps him to make something special in the performances. There's a very similar backstory about Hubert Hoffmann's discovery of Ferdinand Fischer's music, and his subsequent recording of it. Strongly recommended

listening to Hubert Hoffmann's extraordinarily well recorded CD of a book of music found in Klosternneuberg - very much worth seeking out and relishing the sound and indeed the music

Hubert Hoffmann also made an excellent recording of music found at Klosterneuburg - which I've been listening to this afternoon. Very very impressively recorded.

Basil

Quote from: Mandryka on May 04, 2022, 07:22:10 PMAnd I've realised that my problem may be the instrument - a guitar.

Regarding Diego Cantalupi's Kapsberger recording:

The information posted here is incorrect. I hope it hasn't harmed sales of the recording. Mr. Cantalupi's notes go into some detail as to the chitarrone used (a copy of a 1647 instrument preserved in the Palazzo d'Arco in Mantua), including mention of the eighteen courses of strings, six of which are stopped and doubled and the remaining twelve fixed to a second peg box. The notes tell us that this is exactly the kind of instrument Kapsberger himself said was needed for this music. I consider this CD to be one of the very best Kapsberger chitarrone recordings I have heard, and it was a bit of a shock to see it being wrongly described here as a guitar recording.

Mandryka

Quote from: Basil on February 08, 2024, 07:58:04 PMRegarding Diego Cantalupi's Kapsberger recording:

The information posted here is incorrect. I hope it hasn't harmed sales of the recording. Mr. Cantalupi's notes go into some detail as to the chitarrone used (a copy of a 1647 instrument preserved in the Palazzo d'Arco in Mantua), including mention of the eighteen courses of strings, six of which are stopped and doubled and the remaining twelve fixed to a second peg box. The notes tell us that this is exactly the kind of instrument Kapsberger himself said was needed for this music. I consider this CD to be one of the very best Kapsberger chitarrone recordings I have heard, and it was a bit of a shock to see it being wrongly described here as a guitar recording.

Thanks - I think (but I'm not sure) I just took it from the description at Presto. I'll change the post.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8503365--kapsberger-intavolatura-di-chitarrone-book-3

It's a great shame that a scan of the booklet isn't included online. I'm enjoying the CD more on revisiting it, of course!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Lute (and theorbo) and vihuela recordings from Japan:

Mandryka

I think this is interesting. Yasunori Imamura seems to have a handle on counterpoint - he makes the music sound much  more contrapuntally interesting than melody/acompaniment. He's helped by the instrument, which has a strong bass with a timbre which makes it stand out.

Also it opens with a suite attributed to De Visée in G major - does anyone else record this suite?

@Dry Brett Kavanaugh There's lots of Ichiro Takamoto on Spotify - though most of them are only tagged in Japanese so it'll be a bit of a mystery tour for me. Shigeo Mito is there too - lot's of composers I've never even heard on that CD in your image!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

I like how Imamura plays lute though I don't know his Visee theorbe recording. I will check the album. Shigeo Mito recorded French music too. He studied with Hopkinson Smith, Jose Miguel Morel, etc..